Steel Brands

Gerry78

Personally Gerry i rate the RC cartridges I've shot a helluva lot of Duck an Geese with them before i reloaded having said that before i shot RC i used Gamebore which is what Conor has been using to good effect. Don't rate Eley tried before they become available to the public shot Geese with them but more felt on the shoulder just my opinion Gamebore far better. NSI killed ok again punchy on the shoulder. Fiochi I'd put them on par with Gamebore an RC.

My advice is use what ever brand/make of cartridges you shoot best with and suit's your needs

6 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

My advice is use what ever brand/make of cartridges you shoot best with and suit's your needs

Answered it in one sentence Boyd , trouble is the shooter today have got to much choice and the cartridges take a lot of the blame for misses and wounded , and then the next person who use the same shells think they are the dogs bolxxx when they have done well , one person will swear by a particular cartridge and the next will say they are rubbish , that is how it goes on I am afraid .

There well might be better cartridges and guns come to that than the ones I use but the ole saying springs to mind , If it aint broke then there is no need to mend it . 

Cheers lads for the opinions Marsh man your right i tend to blame my cartridges when i miss lol Ive always seem to go back to gamebore 6X5X55 I didnt like eley either when me and the mate patterned them on steel plate between 30/40 yards through 1/2 choke never tried RC. Stonepark thanks as well your right gamebore velocity in the middle IM Gona try the RCs for a change see what results i get I once tried HULL STEEL Shooting wigeon over decoys in a fresh water lough through my aya magnum and had a great morning but the local gun shop never brought anymore in stock I suppose its what where all happy with cheers again👍🦆

42 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

Its a crying shame that there was no mention of Gamebore's Silver Steel in that article. Shooters and especially wildfowlers should be leading the way regarding the use of fibre wads on the saltings. 

Not exactly a lot of choice of loads in the Silver steel 'range'.

17 minutes ago, Diss4111 said:

That doesn't matter though, it still wasn't mentioned and to be honest a 32g no.4 is probably the most fired cartridge on the marsh

That may be the most fired load, though I don't regularly use it. I prefer a 36gm load of 3s or 2s .Am I right in thinking that Silver steel are a bit more expensive than your average shell?

12 minutes ago, motty said:

That may be the most fired load, though I don't regularly use it. I prefer a 36gm load of 3s or 2s .Am I right in thinking that Silver steel are a bit more expensive than your average shell?

I would see 32g of steel 4's as a flight pond or decoying load.

1 hour ago, Diss4111 said:

That doesn't matter though, it still wasn't mentioned and to be honest a 32g no.4 is probably the most fired cartridge on the marsh

You could be right on certain marshes where the main quarry would be duck , but on other marshes and especially salt marshes where geese would be expected I think you would find 36gm would be one of the most used cartridges , and maybe some going for shells slightly heavier .

Having said that , one of the most consistent goose shooters 6.5x55SE. who get his fair share of geese have just recently posted a thread where he shot four good geese with a oz of shot , so we are back to where we started , with the amount of cartridges and chokes the modern fowler have at his disposal . I very much doubt there will be a choke / cartridge combination that will agree with everybody who pursue wildfowl .

About the post lads I forgot to say I use 32g 4s with good success on ducks I just posted on trying a different brand as the chart above  shows Just looking a different choice than gamebore I don’t reload so my options are what the gun shops stocks  thanks again for your opinions 👍

1 hour ago, Denboy said:

it was good to read these comments, i'm new to wildfowling and i'm more confused then ever lol

For ducks on the coast, stick to a 76mm (3") load (36g - 1 1/4oz) of No.3's. For when the duck are expected to be close i.e., inland over flight ponds or coastal decoying a 70mm (2 3/4") load 32g (1 1/8oz) of 4's will do nicely. For Geese in a factory load 36g 1's in a 76mm or BB's in a 3 1/2". Gamebore will give you a good cartridge in each load.

57 minutes ago, Penelope said:

For ducks on the coast, stick to a 76mm (3") load (36g - 1 1/4oz) of No.3's. For when the duck are expected to be close i.e., inland over flight ponds or coastal decoying a 70mm (2 3/4") load 32g (1 1/8oz) of 4's will do nicely. For Geese in a factory load 36g 1's in a 76mm or BB's in a 3 1/2". Gamebore will give you a good cartridge in each load.

Thanks for your help

On 01/10/2018 at 12:33, Diss4111 said:

Its a crying shame that there was no mention of Gamebore's Silver Steel in that article. Shooters and especially wildfowlers should be leading the way regarding the use of fibre wads on the saltings. 

Part of the issue might be that it is hard to buy, I guess they must have very limited production runs? It's a shame as more would use it if they could get a biodegradable wad steel cartridge.

55 minutes ago, Teal said:

Part of the issue might be that it is hard to buy, I guess they must have very limited production runs? It's a shame as more would use it if they could get a biodegradable wad steel cartridge.

The Gamebore Silver Steel are available anywhere, it is the only fibre wad steel cartridge on the market and should have been mentioned. How will people ask for it if they are not aware it is available?

I have got on really well with victory 35g no. 3 high performance steel over the last two seasons! They are no longer producing them but are working on a new steel shot lineup for 2019. But I still have enough to cover this season. I've had some great shots out to 60 yards through 1/2 choke. They are 73mm cases and are hitting at around 1450fps