Beans Comes up Trumps

kippylawkid

Sometimes it's like other areas and we are sparse for pigeons but It's one of those times of the year when pigeons are in abundance on my patch and I am spoilt for choice. I had intended shooting the stubble where I had a good day last Saturday but a call from the keeper on our syndicate put me onto a block of bean stubbles. I left it another day as the 20mph west wind was forecast to be perfect for the fields and so it proved. I started out at 11am with 20 dead bird carcases on cradles, a whirly and 2 flappers as the organic stubble was very dense with weeds and I needed to make the pattern stand out in such a large block of stubble. They came quietly to start but the fields are normally "afternoon" fields and between 2 and 4pm it was constant traffic. I shot moderately compared to my recent trips but the birds were testers in the strong wind. (That's what I think any way!) Stan worked hard again and we picked 140. Cracking days sport with hopefully another day to be had next week. If I'd shot the day before on a calm day I don't think I'd have made half that.

thumbnail_IMG_0795.jpg

In the last two weeks or so I haven't seen as many pigeons as you have shot in one day , I am hopping they are are devouring the glut of acorns rather than me doing a good job in keeping the numbers down .

Excellent bag and I love the expression on your dogs face , one very happy dog and no doubt a very happy master .

14 hours ago, motty said:

Well done, Kid. I'm pretty jealous!

No need Motty, it's all cycles. We are usually a month or so behind you boys down south for harvest. I was the green eyed monster during July and August when you and Muncher were slaying them! 

3 hours ago, pigeon controller said:

Well done, did you thank the Keeper for the Intel. Great result.

He's a good pal of mine and lets me have run of the 3 farms our syndicate is located on. It's a massive perk for me as I know I can let fields build up without worrying another shooter gets there first. So yes, he does get repaid in pints of beer!

2 hours ago, kippylawkid said:

No need Motty, it's all cycles. We are usually a month or so behind you boys down south for harvest. I was the green eyed monster during July and August when you and Muncher were slaying them! 

He's a good pal of mine and lets me have run of the 3 farms our syndicate is located on. It's a massive perk for me as I know I can let fields build up without worrying another shooter gets there first. So yes, he does get repaid in pints of beer!

You are right, its just that I can't see many opportunities for me on the horizon. I may have finished my main pigeon shooting for this year.

Good luck for you on your next outing!