What?????..

del.gue

1 minute ago, henry d said:

No-one wants the world to switch off, something happened at Manchester to start this I doubt it happened in a vacuum. I suppose in a world where caring is not high on the agenda we could just shout at the deaf, tell people in wheelchairs to drag themselves up the stairs etc. etc.

It did happen in a vacuum , the vacuum between someones ears who thought it was a good idea, rather than thinking of exactly WHO was 'offended' and planning a sensible approach to the problem.
You wouldnt think this would be a problem with it being a bastion of intelligence would you ?
But the PC agenda is obviously more important to these future torch bearers.

As far as being a uncaring and selfish ? Well Im not sure where that comes into banning clapping because its too loud or raucous ?
A bit of common sense wouldnt go amiss surely ?

7 hours ago, Penelope said:

Trouble is, what you have written is not actually that ridiculous, it's just the logical process.

Unfortunately Penelope I fear you are right and if this is the way the world is going maybe I should be pleased I have more years behind me than in front.

10 hours ago, AVB said:

Yes ‘jaz hands’ is the now the  ‘official’ way to show appreciation for fear of offending people of a nervous disposition. 

But you can’t ‘black up’ like Al Jolsen in order to do it. 

And before we know it, the jaz hands will become jez hands with the corbonites and become similar to the salute they gave Hitler no doubt. Then we will come full circle again. Nothing wrong with clapping. 

3 hours ago, Rewulf said:

What next after clapping then ?
Those pesky sudden noises will have to go , and thunder, sorry thunder,  youre out.

I completely understand that people on the spectrum have issues with these things, but you cant switch the world off to accommodate.
Rather, they will have to do what they have always done, put up with it.

This is poignant as my son is Autistic and isn't keen on noise! But when they know what they are to expect they are braced for it. Give him a warning and he still isn't keen, but he is aware it will or may happen and it's ok. He just cups his ears and he is fine as it's not a shock! We get warnings on the TV "may contain flash images" perhaps on the poster or tickes for such events "may contain loud clapping" 

Edited by Lord Geordie

5 minutes ago, Lord Geordie said:

And before we know it, the jaz hands will become jez hands with the corbonites and become similar to the salute they have Hitler no doubt. Then we will come full circle again. Nothing wrong with clapping. 

This is poignant as my son is Autistic and isn't keen on noise! But when they know what they are to expect they are braced for it. Give him a warning and he still isn't keen, but he is aware it will or may happen and it's ok. He just cups his ears and he is fine as it's not a shock! We get warnings on the TV "may contain flash images" perhaps on the poster or tickes for such events "may contain loud clapping" 

Im not keen on sudden loud noises myself !
Many a time Ive fired something loud whilst having forgot ear defenders, makes me quite shaky with the shock :lol:

I work in a garage, around 40 yards away from a fragger machine (metal recycler) every now and then ,something explodes inside it , maybe a gas bottle, Im told washing machines do it too, its not supposed to happen, but when it does, the ground shakes, and the bang is extremely loud !
What Im saying is , you cant expect to go through life with all the nasty stuff filtered out for you.
If a large crowd is going to be present, and clapping is a strong possibility, surely the good people of the establishment can lay on ear plugs for the sensitive, or try and give some warning of possible noise before it happens.

If we try and protect the vulnerable from everything scary, how are they ever going to cope on their own ?
What if an ambulance siren is going to ruin their day, ban those too, car horns, plane or helicopter engines ?
The world is a noisy place unfortunately.
Like I say , a little common sense is required.

I'm going to try and introduce this at the next football match I attend and encourage all fans to wave when something commendable happens. :yahoo:. Not of the two or one-fingered variety of course!

Plus when someone is injured, we can give them a supportive wave off the pitch :bye2:in case anyone is offended by the traditional clapping.

It's bound to catch on and instead of the created "singing ends" I hear about, we could introduce waving ends. 

Like the OP, I think I'm getting too old.

2 hours ago, Rewulf said:

Im not keen on sudden loud noises myself !
Many a time Ive fired something loud whilst having forgot ear defenders, makes me quite shaky with the shock :lol:

I work in a garage, around 40 yards away from a fragger machine (metal recycler) every now and then ,something explodes inside it , maybe a gas bottle, Im told washing machines do it too, its not supposed to happen, but when it does, the ground shakes, and the bang is extremely loud !
What Im saying is , you cant expect to go through life with all the nasty stuff filtered out for you.
If a large crowd is going to be present, and clapping is a strong possibility, surely the good people of the establishment can lay on ear plugs for the sensitive, or try and give some warning of possible noise before it happens.

If we try and protect the vulnerable from everything scary, how are they ever going to cope on their own ?
What if an ambulance siren is going to ruin their day, ban those too, car horns, plane or helicopter engines ?
The world is a noisy place unfortunately.
Like I say , a little common sense is required.

It's sirens and low flying aircraft that affect my son the most. 

I've never heard anything so ridiculous in my life, there seems to be this thought process with some on the hard left that anything that offends a tiny minority can be dealt with by banning it, it's ridiculous, if we went down that rabbit hole we'd end up with not being allowed to breath. Someone somewhere will always find something annoying, offensive, or intolerable, banning widespread practice will never solve anything as there'll always be something else ridiculous for a left wing nut to find offensive.

34 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

The problem is, these people are trying to make a ‘one size fits all’ world, in a world where everyone is an individual.

Now that is a challenge, is it not?

It sounds like  the road to a totalitarian nightmare to be honest.

Edited by Rewulf

1 hour ago, moondoggy said:

The problem is, these people are trying to make a ‘one size fits all’ world, in a world where everyone is an individual.

Now that is a challenge, is it not?

At the same time banging on about diversity and everyone being a unique individual.

5 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Someone somewhere will always find something annoying, offensive, or intolerable, banning widespread practice will never solve anything as there'll always be something else ridiculous for a left wing nut to find offensive.

I find Corbyn, McDonell, Thornberry (Lady Nugee) and Abbott, together with their policies both offensive and intolerable.  Please could they be banned?  If that is done, I will give a ban on clapping my full support.

1 hour ago, JohnfromUK said:

I find Corbyn, McDonell, Thornberry (Lady Nugee) and Abbott, together with their policies both offensive and intolerable.  Please could they be banned?  If that is done, I will give a ban on clapping my full support.

I would applaud this, but I'm no longer sure if its acceptable??

On 02/10/2018 at 06:38, del.gue said:

It might be because im getting older...or is this country really getting worse!

I just saw a report that the students union at manchester uni have "banned clapping" at events and speechs, as it might cause distress and anxiety to some groups. Instead they are encouraging people to wave instead to show their appreciation. AND they are not the first uni to do this....there then followed an interview with a snowflake justifying the decision. Someone who might one day be in a position of power.

Stop the world please!!!!

They just don't like having the Clap😄

On 03/10/2018 at 17:48, Lord v said:

claptrap

ˈklaptrap/
noun

1. Woman on Plymouth Docks.
    "Careful Dave, she's a right claptrap"

Just a small diversion, the above reminded me of the following. Going to get the boat from the south dock at 4 a.am. one morning when we came across the 'stick insect' name of Cassandra,  (local working girl). Stone me; what a state, she'd been on an African ship all night, was walking like she'd been on a cattle drive. Anyhoos found out a couple of days later she was thinking of going to the police to charge the crew of said ship with rape.

It seemed when she asked to be paid the crew passed the hat around and gave her a pile of coins and notes whoopee she thought looking at 500 and 1000 Malagizian notes and high value coins. until she tried to get them changed into sterling, found out the whole lot was worth about £1.75

Don't know if she went to the cops, would have given them a laugh if she had.

Back to topic