Invite from a friend

maxwell

I had an invite from my friend and shooting buddy Si-Bore to a field of beans that had just been cut, we arrived at 11 and watched plenty birds milling around and dropping into the wood next to the field, the field was only half cut, we decided on two hides and set up,we just got into the hide and the farmer arrived to finish the field so decoys back in and a cup of tea and a bit crack, the field now finished we were set up and ready just before two with a decent breeze of around 10-15 mph. The birds started to flight  but most staying over the wood so I moved the magnet further out around 60 yards which had the desired effect of pulling the birds this side of the wood and over the field but still they wouldn't decoy so the day become flightline shooting with the main line heading along the edge of the wood and over my mates hide with a secondary line splitting over the corner some fifty/ yards to the middle of the field, with no cover available I hung some scrim met on the barbed wire and knelt down and got ready, I have never seen flightline birds like this the sport was fantastic and frantic at times trying to load quick enough with every shot different from the last, shooting on my knees and almost through 180 degree's I am still aching in places I didn't know about, finished at 5.29 as the birds had finally started to slow with a nice high bird and four cartridges left.it took us until 7 to pick up and pack up with 171 shot and around 11 birds lost or stuck in high trees, my mate Si shot very well with101 and I managed 70, what a cracking day that we will remember for a long while, thank you Si.

5 hours ago, maxwell said:

I had an invite from my friend and shooting buddy Si-Bore to a field of beans that had just been cut, we arrived at 11 and watched plenty birds milling around and dropping into the wood next to the field, the field was only half cut, we decided on two hides and set up,we just got into the hide and the farmer arrived to finish the field so decoys back in and a cup of tea and a bit crack, the field now finished we were set up and ready just before two with a decent breeze of around 10-15 mph. The birds started to flight  but most staying over the wood so I moved the magnet further out around 60 yards which had the desired effect of pulling the birds this side of the wood and over the field but still they wouldn't decoy so the day become flightline shooting with the main line heading along the edge of the wood and over my mates hide with a secondary line splitting over the corner some fifty/ yards to the middle of the field, with no cover available I hung some scrim met on the barbed wire and knelt down and got ready, I have never seen flightline birds like this the sport was fantastic and frantic at times trying to load quick enough with every shot different from the last, shooting on my knees and almost through 180 degree's I am still aching in places I didn't know about, finished at 5.29 as the birds had finally started to slow with a nice high bird and four cartridges left.it took us until 7 to pick up and pack up with 171 shot and around 11 birds lost or stuck in high trees, my mate Si shot very well with101 and I managed 70, what a cracking day that we will remember for a long while, thank you Si.

It was superb man. You shot very well and we’ve filled the freezer with high quality  meat. Happy days. 

2 hours ago, motty said:

Excellent! It is nice to read a few more reports of good bags.

Cheers motty, to be honest there hasn't been many bags to report lately it's mainly been 20-30's over the harvest which made this day even more enjoyable .

14 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

shooting from the hip ehh!

Sounded like capital sport that.

Well done o a fantastic bag and really enjoyed the read.

atb

7diaw

Thank you