National Insurance contributions

henry d

11 hours ago, henry d said:

Ok, so going tangentially; would you rather be a couch potato or someone with physical and mental acuity with many years of positive direction of physical, mental and monetary accrual?

Problem I have when I see people getting away with claiming for every thing under the sun & that goes for a few of my own family as they are to idle to work. I had this out with one of them & the answer I got was when both of us end up in a old age care home the state will fund his care 100% but they will use all my savings & sell my house to pay for mine, his very words. Who is the dull one ?

5 minutes ago, blackbird said:

Problem I have when I see people getting away with claiming for every thing under the sun & that goes for a few of my own family as they are to idle to work. I had this out with one of them & the answer I got was when both of us end up in a old age care home the state will fund his care 100% but they will use all my savings & sell my house to pay for mine, his very words. Who is the dull one ?

You are absolutely right; the reason is that some of us have 'pride' and value (and therefore take pride in) our independence.

Sadly (and quite wrongly in my view) successive governments (both flavours, though predominantly those with left leanings) have penalised those who 'save for a rainy day' and supported those who don't.

I am not a pensioner you cannot blame them its the big companys not paying a proper wage and letting the goverment supplement. It if. A company pays me a n extra.  Tenner     a week year on year how much would go into the coffers of treasury thats the problem us hamsters turning that wheel have gotton less and less year on year

i got my pension last may n.i. paid since tstarted wok redundant at 41 self employed till now new state pension ? £137.00 plus company pension .until we have companies paying good wages and not zero hrs jobs the countries pension bill will rocket as less n.i. and tax being paid and the goalposts being moved again for those still working 

On 02/10/2018 at 14:22, Dave-G said:

Good thinking there.

However depending on which side of the benefits fence a person sits, or circumstances dictate, if insufficient contributions were paid to get a full pension, that person is likely to get up to 0% council tax bills - which equals a full pension but he also get free dental and eye care so is actually better off than me.

That's as near as I can figure from a mate who gets a smaller state pension + pension credits because he did'nt present enough stamps when self employed taxi driving. Seems he bought them but left them in the attic of his old house several years ago. The self employed bought 'actual stamps and stuck them into a booklet in those days.

I get 90% of a State Pension, and I do NOT get Council tax benefits, .... I retired in 2009, and found out that a 2 former employers, in the 1980,s, had failed to pay my NI, stating I was self-employed (I was not!). Both went bust shortly afterwards.........A few months after I retired, the then Chancellor of the Exchequer, Alistair Darling announced he was changing the rules on NI contributions, reducing the number of full years stamps to 31, from 41. As I had 39, I thought I would then get 100% State Pension......no such luck! A call to the Dept of Work & Pensions HQ in Belfast, revealed that it was not to be retrospective.....When I asked why the Labour government, in a time of financial disaster, would reduce the number of NI payments by a whole 10 years, thus depriving the Exchequer of Billions of pounds, I was quietly informed that it was to provide full State Pensions for those who would be unlikely ever to get 41 years of continuous NI contributions...."new arrivals"...........That,s what a Labour government does to British pensioners, it steals from them!

On 02/10/2018 at 15:35, Rim Fire said:

What is the number now i thought it was 34 thats what they told me when i retired i was 53 at the time

It,s 31 years of contributions!

On 02/10/2018 at 16:10, oowee said:

Still worth checking as the state pension is cheap money. 

Unless the Labour government robbed you of some of it!

On 02/10/2018 at 16:59, snow white said:

Cant remeber how many years you have topay in but i started work when i was 14 years old i payed most  of my life some bits selfemployed when i was going to retire i got intouch with pensions was told i had to pay somethink like £1500 to get full pension i got me pension

My addvice is if you are thinking about retiring give them a call you might lose out

Very true!

On 03/10/2018 at 17:07, blackbird said:

It’s just a matter of time & state pension will be a thing of the past, why do you think employers now by law have to provide a basic pension what makes my blood boil is the younger generation are paying into something which they are not going to get.

But so did those who paid in for years, only to die early! It,s swings and roundabouts. 

On 03/10/2018 at 19:19, JohnfromUK said:

The problem is also that there are some who live on a 'pension' in the form of benefits, child allowances, housing benefit etc. all their lives and never pay at all.  Those who have paid in for 35 years (or whatever the current qualifying period is) deserve to get a bit back.  That was the deal.

How very true!

2 hours ago, pinfireman said:

That,s what a Labour government does to British pensioners, it steals from them!

Labour Governments are always 'thieves'.  'Steal' from probable non Labour voters (which includes many pensioners who are old enough to know better than to vote Labour) - and give as handouts to probable Labour voters (mainly the benefits dwellers, the feckless, the lazy and the financially irresponsible).  It has always been so.

6 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Labour Governments are always 'thieves'.  'Steal' from probable non Labour voters (which includes many pensioners who are old enough to know better than to vote Labour) - and give as handouts to probable Labour voters (mainly the benefits dwellers, the feckless, the lazy and the financially irresponsible).  It has always been so.

True!