Red Dot Sights

madmax666

Righto cheers for that, I have been looking online today as much as I could lunch time and there are a load of the things to choose from.  Excuse my lack of knowledge with these sights but is it possible have a dot size small enough to see maybe half a woodie at 20 to 25yds roughly.

Thanks  again

MM

Only ones I've ever used I wouldn't take a shot at anything alive at 25yrds as you've no idea where it would hit - With a airgun.

At 15 yrds doing chest shots on a pigeon would be fine. I'd just buy a hawke one, cheap Chinese ones are OK for clarity just the dots are massive. 

Great fun on rats at very close range, also using tennis balls rolled along the floor for target practice. 👍

Well I did it..I bought one its the Milbro HD30N bought it from Welsh Willy as he''s a mate of mine and lives a mile away.  I took it to the shoot today its on my Webley .177 Stingray which is doing 796fps  ave with vmx pells.  After I'd finished shooting with my .22 I gave it a go, I set small spent spuds which are in the field a bit larger than the size of woodies head at 15yd, 20yds then up to 30yds and set the dot on its smallest setting at shot away.

After a few shots getting used to it from my stool and bipod, I started to hit every time, the good thing after using my scope set on 7 to 8x is the lack of movement of the dot on the spud because of the 1x magnification which took a little bit to get used to.  When I put the small spud in front of one of my full bodied decoys I can see plenty of the decoys chest behind the small dot, so far I am well pleased I will see how I get on with it.

Cheers

MM

Edited by madmax666

I have a Hawke which I transfer from my 375JDJ (tooth loosener) to my double 8x57 o/u as and when needed mainly for driven game.  I have used it when sat up in ambush and it works out to 150yrds no problem.  Last shot was a seriously big wild boar at 128mtrs which I thought was screwed to the floor when trying to move it. 

They do take a little bit of getting used to because you don't have to centre them up perfectly as the bullet will strike whereever you see the dot, that is why they are perfect for driven moving game.

If needed I would buy a second Hawke tomorrow.

Yep....been there strimmer and not only on the red dot ...always have a spare with me now.....not a fault of the sight although  auto cut outs are fitted to so many things even my powder scales and should be included in red dots and other scopes.

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, madmax666 said:

Where do you go for your boar, do you get to go out much in a year.  Yes thanks S13 I will get a few batteries.

MM

Slovenia.   Easy Jet out of Stansted cheaper than I can drive to Scotland,  half board for around 60 euros and a choice of shooting culls for around 80 euros a shot or taking a medal beast up around 1200 plus.    Good roe stalking as well and some excellent reds.    I have details of the contact, Head of Hunting in Slovenia if anyone wants to have a look.  Superb scenery, great people and good food. 

1 hour ago, madmax666 said:

I think I understand you, so its 80 euros per shot you take and a very large boar is 1200 euros a shot..this sounds an expensive day out, roughly how many shots do you take on a single shoot or are you restricted to a daily limit.

cheers

MM

No restrictions other than seasons although you can shoot male boar all year round.  Guide fee was 60 e a day, and you could possibly shoot two or three boar a day if you wished.  Making that about 300e a day ....tell me if you went out with a commercial guide here for a day, morning evening stalk and shot three small roe bucks, how much would that be ??  As said your choice if you wish to shoot a medal but the same goes for commercial shooting here in the UK unless all the pro stalking guides have gone soft and charitable.  

You don't have to shoot a medal head and if you state this they will be careful to see you don't.  As Tightchoke says all down to the depth of your pockets. 

It is also one place where you can stalk and shoot a European brown bear, cousin of the grizzly.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, madmax666 said:

I have seen some of the shooting on youtube a while back its not my thing, but if its yours and others cool.  Looking at it they get pretty close to the shooter have you had any ...OH S##T close calls.

MM

Nope, but a couple of friends had big brown bears come bye them very close.   There is a variety of ways you can hunt out there, walk and stalk, sit in ambush or have a driven day or if there for a few days do all three.  Even go mountain climbing for a chamois. 

I also have three scopes with illuminated reticules and they are useful at last light or setting up a low intensity red lamp on a ratting area and the reticule stands out a treat.  I only use mine at the lowest setting which is more than adequate. 

I had to have some work done on my Webley this week which is carrying my red dot, I took my Chrono with me last week end to see how the rifle is doing and it was doing too well from my last testing.  It was going over 11.8 and just a few fps off 12ftlbs so I had it reined back down to just over 11.1 ft lb. which is ok for me, its so easy to lose track what the rifles are doing without a chrono in tow.

Quick change of item here, I was watching wicked tuna when I came home from work, my longest salmon fight went just over an hour and drained me, these things go 10hrs plus I think i will stick to the rivers.

MM

Edited by madmax666