knife project.

fatchap

I made a similar knife a while back but it got a tad slated over the colour of the scales, so have been working on a MK2  for a while and finally finished it, 

Lots of brass and and a mirror polished blade and its come out ok, few blemishes here and there but hey ho , you can work on them for ever and still never be 100% happy with it.

1872340365_photo1.JPG.c277b2bfbc84a31167c66a6a2f4d9ace.JPG1176506422_photo2.JPG.38d2e29f5108fde724f104c6a99b78b8.JPG1986157205_photo3.JPG.0875e6d277d68e560e375b603b58e3d4.JPG

As usual my photographic skills are at their usual amateurish best.

Looking again with (constructively!) critical head on:

Grind looks nice and even from the ricasso to the curve up to the tip. 

The change in direction of the grind line running up to the tip looks a little abrupt - tricky call with the steep up-curve, and no, I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

The leading edge of the bolster looks very square - maybe not that comfortable in use, maybe the angle our the photo, maybe just my personal preference.

Might just be the photo, but the liner to scale fit on the underside of the handle looks slightly wobbly (again might be just the mileage on my eyes).

Sheath design looks great with the parallel lines of contrasted stitching. Not quite parallel around the return on the point, but that's being really picky.

Finally, that's a really nice piece of timber, and your finish is brilliant.

@Walker570My comments are intended to be constructive, not picking holes for the sake of it.

The op has produced a good-looking, well-finished and functional knife, which I applaud.

17 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

...  If it doesn't have a slight error somewhere it is not hand made.

While I personally can't claim to have ever made a knife without any errors in, or something I think I could have done better, there are plenty who could honestly say that they have. Have a look at Stuart Mitchell, or Guy Stainthorp, or Shing Chan, to name but three.

8 hours ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Looking again with (constructively!) critical head on:

Grind looks nice and even from the ricasso to the curve up to the tip. 

The change in direction of the grind line running up to the tip looks a little abrupt - tricky call with the steep up-curve, and no, I'm not sure what the alternative would be.

The leading edge of the bolster looks very square - maybe not that comfortable in use, maybe the angle our the photo, maybe just my personal preference.

Might just be the photo, but the liner to scale fit on the underside of the handle looks slightly wobbly (again might be just the mileage on my eyes).

Sheath design looks great with the parallel lines of contrasted stitching. Not quite parallel around the return on the point, but that's being really picky.

Finally, that's a really nice piece of timber, and your finish is brilliant.

Thanks for the criticism, I am no way a professional knife maker and probably never will be. I work out of a 8x4 shed not much bigger than a dog kennel, I dont have milling machines, or a 2x72 belt grinder, one day I hope to but for now I have to make do with a bevel jig, ie a large piece of ply with eye bolts, various gauges of files and a guide bar.

The blade is an approximation of a knife made on you tube called "Nostalgia in Red" its no way near perfect I am well aware of it, but I pretty much work from eye so some bits may not be 100% but its hand made not programmed into a cnc machine and ground and cut to within .2 thou..

Dont get me wrong your input and criticism is much appreciated.:good:

The scales are desert ironwood and had the granny polished out of them with medium and ultra fine vornax after a few hours of wet and dry ranging from 120 grit right up to 3000 grit.

Edited by fatchap

3 hours ago, CaptainBeaky said:

@Walker570My comments are intended to be constructive, not picking holes for the sake of it.

The op has produced a good-looking, well-finished and functional knife, which I applaud.

While I personally can't claim to have ever made a knife without any errors in, or something I think I could have done better, there are plenty who could honestly say that they have. Have a look at Stuart Mitchell, or Guy Stainthorp, or Shing Chan, to name but three.

Agree, but I bet they personally could see something they could have done better.  An artist is never fully satisfied with their final work in my view

@fatchap Hand-filed makes it all the more impressive 😎 

Love a bit of Desert Ironwood! You appear to have achieved a lovely chatoyance with your finish - can't beat lots of elbow grease when finishing.

Now waiting for the next one! ( and getting inspired to get back in the workshop and make something...)