a few more woodland pics.

mel b3

hiya guys , just another couple of pics from the weekend . the fallen oak just needs to be milled and logged and dragged from the woodland. theirs also a few pics of the black chanterelles , just after picking , and then again just after washing and getting ready to dry , and also a couple of pics of a green man that i carved(very badly) , into an oak log that had been laying in the woods for years.

20180930_122628.jpg20180930_124012.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0001.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0002.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0003.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0005.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0006.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0007.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0008.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0009.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0010.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0011.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0012.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0013.jpgIMG_20181003_WA0014.jpg

16 minutes ago, moondoggy said:

That green man is brilliant.

Beautiful woodland, I am very envious.

Please let us know what the mushrooms are like. I’ve never tried them.

you dont eat them yer smoke em..............2 rizlas long..............yeah man....far out....................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:crazy:

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

The only thing wrong with the green man is he isn't green, were all green with envy at your wood though, except walker.

Yep, there is definitely something special about having your own bit of woodland and definitely Mel and I are blessed.  Mels is a bit special as it is 'ancient' mine is just 25yrs old but developing with poplars now in excess of 80ft high and a mix of other hardwoods self seeding.  One down turn is my ash trees have now developed 'die back'.

DSCF1809 (800x600).jpg

Edited by Walker570

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Yep, there is definitely something special about having your own bit of woodland and definitely Mel and I are blessed.  Mels is a bit special as it is 'ancient' mine is just 25yrs old but developing with poplars now in excess of 80ft high and a mix of other hardwoods self seeding.  One down turn is my ash trees have now developed 'die back'.

You are both very lucky, you have had the pleasure of watching your own woodland develop as a bonus Mate.:good:

i count myself very lucky to have a little bit of woodland to muck around in , its very hard work(the really hard work hasnt started yet) but its very enjoyable. nevs woodland is brilliant , it was planned and planted to be just how he likes it , its like strolling through royal gardens.

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

fantastic !  woodland and carving, very envious as the nearest woodland to me is 65miles away .  those chanterelles would be very nice with some pigeon breast or pheasant 

theyre still drying at the moment, but ill report back as soon as we taste them.

I wanted to buy a house with woodland but couldn't find one that suited, so planted my own.

5 years on and it's quite thick in some places - many of the alder are 6 inches across and the number of self seeded oak, birch and willow are countless. These pictures don't show the biggest trees but I've planted about 2,500 and more to come this winter

Then:

then.jpg.901402ec464aeae74f820967ed5bb552.jpg

Now:

now.jpg.37f2ce1c2608ee08e43d8937436f64d8.jpg

41 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

That looks excellent,  it must be great to plan then plant your own woodland ,nev also has a few pics of his woodland from the beginning, show us yours nev.

It is great but will be a few years before I can really say it's a woodland. Attracts plenty of wildlife and I've already won an award from The Woodland Trust. Had Defra round the other week for a tour too

7 hours ago, mel b3 said:

That looks excellent,  it must be great to plan then plant your own woodland ,nev also has a few pics of his woodland from the beginning, show us yours nev.

Heh!!!! now come on, this is a family program ..... have a word in his ear Zapp;)

Can't see the surviving walnut ????

That is going to be superb in a few years time.

First picture is open fields and in next field the first planting in first year, 20yrs ago.  Second picture is two years on. The thrid is recently when I was pruning some of the 400 hazels to open a new ride and prior to coppicing some this winter.  My mate Mr Kubota doing most of the work.

The white poplars in the last picture where growing in a ditch on a nieghbouring far, only about 2ft high. He was about to clean the ditch and I salvaged a dozen to plant in the wood as they are one of my wife's favorites with those silvery leaves blowing in the wind and like the field maple and red oaks they add colour.

007.JPG

009.JPG

DSCF0296.JPG

Edited by Walker570

Hmmmmm???   My poplar just went crazy, never seen anything grow so fast. That second pic., is at the later part of the second year from 1.2 mtr sticks with no roots just pushed about a foot into the soil.  I did spray the grass off for the first five years.  They are now up around 80ft and one or two are over 20 inches in diameter 3ft off the ground.