Bug Identification Please?

CaptC

Found this chap scurrying around amongst an invasion of endemic Ladybirds but also some Harlequin Ladybirds which I believe are invasive and a threat due to (would you believe it) a sexually transmitted disease!

Any entomologists out there please?

20181001_170100 (1).jpg

Edited by CaptC

2 minutes ago, Mice! said:

ladybird larve 

wp_ss_20181003_0001.png.0fc75dfc1655bfece9657423f43db0d6.png

Thank you!

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Harlequin ladybird larvae, I had one crawl out of a hole in a dead mussel that was on my doorstep.  which was strange  

5608-0-1895-0-7453-10000-411.jpg.0eb36277cac70dbb6bbe2517749082b7.jpg

Thank you - Questions - Should any future larvae be culled and do the Harlequin larvae look the same as our endemic version?

9 hours ago, CaptC said:

Thank you!

Thank you - Questions - Should any future larvae be culled and do the Harlequin larvae look the same as our endemic version?

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/beetles/harlequin-ladybird

I think a cull would be in order CaptC . how will you initiate it ?  I presume a garden gun would be most suitable, loaded with dust,  one possible way might be to tether an aphid in a quiet area with a safe backdrop and lay in wait, perhaps it would be simpler in the first instance to simply repeat the rhyme imploring the ladybird to just leave and come back on mothers washing day. [ it certainly worked in my day ]... tally ho..:shoot:

6 minutes ago, islandgun said:

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/wildlife-explorer/invertebrates/beetles/harlequin-ladybird

I think a cull would be in order CaptC . how will you initiate it ?  I presume a garden gun would be most suitable, loaded with dust,  one possible way might be to tether an aphid in a quiet area with a safe backdrop and lay in wait, perhaps it would be simpler in the first instance to simply repeat the rhyme imploring the ladybird to just leave and come back on mothers washing day. [ it certainly worked in my day ]... tally ho..:shoot:

From a machan suspended in the nettles.

25 minutes ago, Penelope said:

From a machan suspended in the nettles.

A problem that has, almost kept me awake all night (as well as the raucous snoring from the Memsahib's bedroom due to her nightly intake of gin)

My thoughts were more towards decoying them but I fear that their eyesight is somewhat myopic. Electrocution is now being considered. Placing a few gently squeezed adults and larvae on a steel plate suspended on rubber pads - connect red wire at one end and the black one at the other? Not sure what the stripey one is for but I will ask Jenkins when he has finished polishing the silver.

Of course the whole exercise depends on another hot day but Mother Nature has decided that today will be overcast and damp!

5 minutes ago, CaptC said:

A problem that has, almost kept me awake all night (as well as the raucous snoring from the Memsahib's bedroom due to her nightly intake of gin)

My thoughts were more towards decoying them but I fear that their eyesight is somewhat myopic. Electrocution is now being considered. Placing a few gently squeezed adults and larvae on a steel plate suspended on rubber pads - connect red wire at one end and the black one at the other? Not sure what the stripey one is for but I will ask Jenkins when he has finished polishing the silver.

Of course the whole exercise depends on another hot day but Mother Nature has decided that today will be overcast and damp!

Yes, decidedly dank out east, too.

There was a good programme on the wireless earlier this year about invasive species of ladybird.

The conclusion was that that metaphorical ship has sailed, so just live and let live with these fellas. They still eat aphids (it’s just that they also eat native ladybirds too 😞 )

I cant now recall, but there is a species of wasp/hornet which is also threatening to invade but is not yet here. That’s one to watch out for (if only I could remember what it was!)

LS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07qbcbb

...and here’s link to listen again (if you’ve got a TV licence 😞 )

6 minutes ago, lord_seagrave said:

There was a good programme on the wireless earlier this year about invasive species of ladybird.

The conclusion was that that metaphorical ship has sailed, so just live and let live with these fellas. They still eat aphids (it’s just that they also eat native ladybirds too 😞 )

I cant now recall, but there is a species of wasp/hornet which is also threatening to invade but is not yet here. That’s one to watch out for (if only I could remember what it was!)

LS

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b07qbcbb

...and here’s link to listen again (if you’ve got a TV licence 😞 )

I believe that would be the Asiatic Hornet. Would need more than a garden gun and dust for those blighters.

18 minutes ago, Penelope said:

I believe that would be the Asiatic Hornet. Would need more than a garden gun and dust for those blighters.

It would be a foolhardy hand that failed to equip correctly for a skirmish with Asiatic Hornet in its natural environment. there are reports of bearers scattered only to return as gibbering fools,  A top tip remains bicycle clips..! 

3 minutes ago, islandgun said:

It would be a foolhardy hand that failed to equip correctly for a skirmish with Asiatic Hornet in its natural environment. there are reports of bearers scattered only to return as gibbering fools,  A top tip remains bicycle clips..! 

Indeed, I think that bicycle clips would have saved me from the mauling I received from a common or garden European Hornet two summers ago whilst pursuing the humble woody. One still has the scar on one's shin as a testament to the savagery of the encounter.

5 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Indeed, I think that bicycle clips would have saved me from the mauling I received from a common or garden European Hornet two summers ago whilst pursuing the humble woody. One still has the scar on one's shin as a testament to the savagery of the encounter.

A good old fashioned pair of jodhpurs (the laced leg version) suit my needs well. No sightings of the dreaded Asian hornet in this neck of the woods (but officially recorded further west) Our neighbours had the European hornet nest in their roof space which caused the blighters to head towards any light shown at night. 

One evening we had six buzzing around the hall chandelier making an awful droning sound. The children were all asleep so a silent attack was needed but where was the fly swatter? Not the safest semi nocturnal occupation especially if one has had a night cap or three - Anyway, the fly swatter was nowhere to be found but being inventive I found one of the children's pirate swords which felt just right - frantic half drunken swipes soon had all six downed but where were they? The thought of treading on a deceased hornet with it's sting still on the "fire" was very unnerving. A lot of careful scrabbling about luckily found all six who were given a sea burial in the khazi - I did not flush as the Memsahib was out on a jolly and I thought what good sport it will be when she goes for her last pee! (That folks was/is a true story)

34 minutes ago, CaptC said:

A good old fashioned pair of jodhpurs (the laced leg version) suit my needs well. No sightings of the dreaded Asian hornet in this neck of the woods (but officially recorded further west) Our neighbours had the European hornet nest in their roof space which caused the blighters to head towards any light shown at night. 

One evening we had six buzzing around the hall chandelier making an awful droning sound. The children were all asleep so a silent attack was needed but where was the fly swatter? Not the safest semi nocturnal occupation especially if one has had a night cap or three - Anyway, the fly swatter was nowhere to be found but being inventive I found one of the children's pirate swords which felt just right - frantic half drunken swipes soon had all six downed but where were they? The thought of treading on a deceased hornet with it's sting still on the "fire" was very unnerving. A lot of careful scrabbling about luckily found all six who were given a sea burial in the khazi - I did not flush as the Memsahib was out on a jolly and I thought what good sport it will be when she goes for her last pee! (That folks was/is a true story)

I would assume that one must be careful not to over tighten one's jodhpurs, as the subsequent lack of circulation and loss of feeling in the lower leg could lead to an untimely tumble leading to one being exposed to the enraged beasts.

Edited by Penelope

I need a G&T before anymore - A large one if there is any left after the Memsahib's luncheon with her pals from the Conservative "Ladies Oppose Putin" group. Much chanting and singing from the music room which began to veer into the marching songs of the Das Reich. 

7 minutes ago, islandgun said:

The only further advice i would offer, is that the ladies avoid the perfume dept of Boots in Salisbury and be aware that tonic in large doses is poisonous 

Thank you for your advice - The dear lady would not be seen dead in Boots (pun there somewhere) as she orders all her unguents and oils from a large store in Knightsbridge. As to tonic water the answer is quite simple - She makes her own using a recipe passed down by her late mother. The ingredients, a family secret are known to contain bicarbonate of sugar, a large sprinkle of quinine and some white powder she gets from a young man on a street corner.