GP refusing to fill out request

Strideruk

Hi so im at the stage in my application where its with the fire arms officer. Received an email stating 

We have already made contact with your GP to request this report.

Following receipt of this email, you have 28 days to ensure Firearms Licensing receives the report or provide sufficient evidence in the form of an invoice/receipt. 

So i chased up the GP to be told they have the letter but the GP is not obliged to fill in the request as i haven't met the new GP (old GP left the practice) . so i contacted the FLD who sent me 

If your GP is unsure they are more than welcome to email/ring us to discuss.

We are not looking for a professional opinion on whether you are suitable or not but only FACTUAL medical details.

This can be gained by any General Practitioner who has access to your medical records.

after passing this on to the GP practice the receptionist explained to me the gp still might not play ball something along the lines its not in his contractual duties .

Im going to ring the fire arms office just was wondering if any 1 has had this sort of thing and what could possibly happen with my application . Im hoping im not going to be penalised for not being a frequent visitor to the gp practice .

29 minutes ago, bluesj said:

That is why the original idea was that if the police didn't hear back from your doctor with in 21 days they took it as all was ok 

I understood this to be so but now we have access to our details then I think it a good idea for all FAC/SGC holders ask for a copy once every five years as their renewal comes in.

Just get a copy and send it in.

7 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

You should be able to access your medical records online - ask your surgery how to do it - cannot see why you cannot copy and send to the Police?

thanks will  have a look in to this today Will ring the firearms office for there advice later >

55 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Have you declared any relevant medical conditions on your application?

nothing declared no medical conditions on my application i was more worried about a speeding fine from 10 years ago . Didn't expect the GP to be a problem 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Welcome to Pigeon Watch!

I do not understand why an objection to paying for a letter from the GP for confirming that there are no medical reasons to prevent the issue of your gun licence, I have a copy of the letter sent to the police, renewal arrived within a few days of the GP letter being sent.  Stating that you have no medical conditions is fine, a GP letter confirming is best, and like most services a payment is required.

1 hour ago, butchdickason said:

I do not understand why an objection to paying for a letter from the GP for confirming that there are no medical reasons to prevent the issue of your gun licence, I have a copy of the letter sent to the police, renewal arrived within a few days of the GP letter being sent.  Stating that you have no medical conditions is fine, a GP letter confirming is best, and like most services a payment is required.

Im happy to pay for the letter there is no objection on my part the receptionist is saying the GP wont do it 

christ on a stick...........................the rules seem to differ from county to county...........im not going to reply to this thread as there is at least 10-14 pages of the excactly the same thread a year or so ago...........in some ways it seems your force dosnt even understand the system...................

21 minutes ago, ditchman said:

christ on a stick...........................the rules seem to differ from county to county...........im not going to reply to this thread as there is at least 10-14 pages of the excactly the same thread a year or so ago...........in some ways it seems your force dosnt even understand the system...................

Pretty sure you just did lol

7 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

+1 thats how it was.

thats how it works here in norfolk...........cept its 7 working days...........which made me laugh as from the time i sent the form in and the money ...to recieving the permit it was 4 days ..:lol:

after talking to the firearms department they advised me if the gp doesn't send the letter my application can not proceed and not be issued . They advised me to change GP there for i rang another GP in the area explained the situation they said it could be because they don't do private work and that they do so it looks like i could be asking for an extension on my application switching to this other gp and hoping to get it sorted they even gave me the cost of £48 . 

Unless I'm mistaken, you can make a Data Protection 'subject access request' to your GP. The cost of that is precisely zero (but see below). You then send the full file to the police.

Regarding fees, they can charge you a fee if the request is 'manifestly unfounded or excessive', as determined by the ICO. But even if that was so, the fee may ONLY cover their 'reasonable administrative costs'.

I just asked my GP reception for a copy of my Medical Summary, they printed 2 pages of A4 Free of Charge and that was accepted by TVP. No medical conditions disclosed.

Unless the rules change in 5 years time i'll probably ask for it and send it in with the renewal to save all the hassle.

Edited by Moblies

Well the FEO called and took my application for renewal on the 24th Sept have not heard anything yet from Doc's..

I told him when he was here that i was not prepared to pay the doc's for any letters and if that held things up i would be straight on to BASC to sort out.

I personally think that people that pay are being robbed as there is nothing in the guide lines to state you have to pay , unless you have a health problem and the police ask for details then you have to pay i believe..

Mind you got plenty of time yet FAC and Shotgun certs are not due till November..

Cleveland are on the ball they send you a letter with appointment set for FEO's visit and where you can down load the forms we don't post them in they are checked for any mistakes and collected by FEO..