Pigeon cartridges in autos

I have been following the posts about over bored barrels and fibre wads with interest. I use a bennelli auto with 3 1/2 "  chamber for pigeons, and was worried that the wads would not obturate into to barrel by the time the powder pressure was out of the case. I cut open several makes of fibre "pigeon" cartridges, and found that the Hull "super fast pigeon" cartridges had a much longer wad column than the others. It looked like they put two fibre wads between the powder and the shot.  I have had to fit a slightly less powerful recoil spring in the stock to ensure full ejection.  Other than that, it works fine with the Hull cartridges.  Obviously no one would choose a long chambered gun for this purpose, but it happens to be the one I use on the Marsh. I have a photo of the cut open case somewhere, and will post it when I find it.

pigeon case and wad.JPG

Edited by cardigun
Found the picture.

I have a 3 1/2" Beretta Extrema and I fire anything from 21g fibre clay loads to 66g lead loads, I have never had an issue where I have missed or winged a bird because of a bit of gas leakage. The time it takes the shot load to travel 3/4" of an inch is virtually immeasurable and irrelevant

With lighter loads, you get more space to be filled by wad rather than shot ... ergo less/no issues.

The highest risk would be on heavy loads of larger shot there the space in the case is taken up by more shot / less wad.

The only other thing to add, is that I expect the was to be under huge compressive forces at that point in the chamber .. therefore squished up quite a bit!

This raises another question....if you fire a 2 3/4" steel/hevishot load through a 3 1/2" chambered gun, and the distance between the open cartridge mouth and the forcing cone/barrel proper isn't breached by the wad.....will the steel/hevishot damage the bore?

54 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

With lighter loads, you get more space to be filled by wad rather than shot ... ergo less/no issues.

The highest risk would be on heavy loads of larger shot there the space in the case is taken up by more shot / less wad.

The only other thing to add, is that I expect the was to be under huge compressive forces at that point in the chamber .. therefore squished up quite a bit!

Indeed. Or where you have a smaller load weight of a lighter material. I'm reliably informed that a 32g load of bismuth takes up the same volume as does 36g of lead and are readily available in 2&1/2" chamber sizes.

35 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

This raises another question....if you fire a 2 3/4" steel/hevishot load through a 3 1/2" chambered gun, and the distance between the open cartridge mouth and the forcing cone/barrel proper isn't breached by the wad.....will the steel/hevishot damage the bore?

Look at shot wads ... you see that the setback forces show now marks towards the mouth of the wads ... I'm convinced we're not at risk on that one at least :good:

Guest cookoff013
30 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Indeed. Or where you have a smaller load weight of a lighter material. I'm reliably informed that a 32g load of bismuth takes up the same volume as does 36g of lead and are readily available in 2&1/2" chamber sizes.

yeah.

25g steel occupies the ame volume as 

32g niceshot

32g bismuth

28g pure copper shot

29g itx10

36g load shot

and 

42g t13

for some strange reason these stick in my memory

15 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Look at shot wads ... you see that the setback forces show now marks towards the mouth of the wads ... I'm convinced we're not at risk on that one at least :good:

Whilst I accept your point, that would be in hard plastic wads....I was thinking of steel, or other hard shot in gamebore fibre wad cups! Which are a lot softer and may break up (on exiting the cartridge and hitting the forcing cone) losing their 'totally enclosed' protection!