An expensive morning

spandit

My Hilux came with a Truckman Luxury Top but the rear glass had partially come unstuck from the surround so thought I'd glue it back in again. Bought some adhesive and bunged a load in. Needed some clamping to make sure it was solid.

Glass doesn't like being clamped. Doesn't like it at all.

Toughened glass goes "BANG!" when it breaks.

Just now, haynes said:

Acrlyic goes horribly white/yellow over time and looks really cheap. Piece of stainless etc might be better. Although not see through. 

I'd go for a tinted one anyway - it was pretty dark to begin with so not sure what I'd lose if it wasn't see through. Could bung some plywood in there for now

Have you checked with Truckman for a replacement, and more importantly your car insurance.  I had similar issue a few years ago with a Land Rover Discovery, the insurance company sorted everything as I had the glass cover.  I was directed to the local Autoglass where I paid £40 excess and no penalties for a claim.

Hi spandit,My L200 glass exploded few weeks ago.Id had it up for an hour in the sun while working .It def blew up!!.Anyway Ive ended up going down the acrylic route.Toughened glass was in the £150 area acrylic £40. I think it will take a long time before any noticeable discolouring.I had to get clear and will need to drill holes for handles.

59 minutes ago, billytheghillie said:

£800!  a few more hundred and you could buy a new canopy.

I know. It's the luxury hardtop I have, I'm told. It has a light (which doesn't work), a heated rear screen (which doesn't work and is now in granular form) and central locking, which doesn't work either. It also leaks but aside from that it's terrific :)

19 hours ago, spandit said:

I know. It's the luxury hardtop I have, I'm told. It has a light (which doesn't work), a heated rear screen (which doesn't work and is now in granular form) and central locking, which doesn't work either. It also leaks but aside from that it's terrific :)

Sounds terrific spandit , if you have got the luxury version , what is the economy model like ?:hmm:

You got me thinking.....how bout getting piece of metal/tin you know what i mean....lol.... fit to curve.....paint to suit.....take grinder cut middle flat part out glaze with rubber gasket and fit lam glass in this size to suit.....cheaper solution and the joy of fixing domething yourself.......lol