Sitty Trees?

Trenta

The field I will be shooting on Saturday has a sitty tree in one of the corners of the paddock, which obviously the pigeons use as a stopping point.  I can't shoot from two sides of the tree, as they face onto a road, which is just over 100m away.

Is it a good idea to set up a hide right under the tree on the safe sides?  The canopy of the tree is very dense at the moment and will restrict vison.  I can't really think of where else to set up though - any tips?

Thanks!

Trenta

Sitty Tree.JPG

I would, set your  deeks out on the leeward side of the tree (about 15-20 yards out) and set your hide on on the corner nearest the junction or directly the other side of the trunk they will either drop into your deeks or fly into the tree and you can ambush them. 

My opinion FWIW.

Edited by The Burpster

On 04/10/2018 at 17:19, pigeon controller said:

I would set up on the edge of the canopy on the shady side if possible and shoot away from the road setting the decoys out to suit. Being on the edge of the canopy allows you to shoot birds approaching high with out restrictions. Good luck.

+2

Dont feel you have to set up against the tree trunk, move out 20 yards and set up a small hide with a partial roof, try to make it look like a bush growing, you will be surprised how little notice the pigeons take as long as you are out of sight and keep still until the shot is 'on',

I often set up out in the middle of rape fields with my fishing brolly covered in nets, birds will come down 15 yards out to decoys without giving the hide a second glance, its not necessary to 'hide' under trees or in hedges, 

Have a look on Youtube at Andy crow and other regular pigeon shooters who like to get out away from the taller trees or where there is no cover to take birds as they come overhead, always works well for me.

On 08/10/2018 at 16:38, lakeside1000 said:

Dont feel you have to set up against the tree trunk, move out 20 yards and set up a small hide with a partial roof, try to make it look like a bush growing, you will be surprised how little notice the pigeons take as long as you are out of sight and keep still until the shot is 'on',

Thanks for the advice - I have a couple of camo nets and four hide poles, so would you suggest setting up an enclosed square hide with associated foliage etc.  Silly question, but how would you go about putting a partial roof on top of it? would laying foliage across the top edges work without the whole thing collapsing?  I think I might need more hide poles?

Thanks once again for all of the information to a very grateful newby!

19 hours ago, old'un said:

Fishing brolly, used one for years and works perfectly, also gives you some shelter from icy winds in winter.

There is an excellent article pinned to the top of this section by PC entitled `Naked Hide` showing how he does his fishing brolly.

Well worth a revisit.

OB

I know one shooter who has a couple of the long thin collapsible tent rods which he creates a loop top over the back of his hide, then lays and clips the nets over the top, gives a little shade as well as cover, I do find the 4 pole set up a bit restricted, especially as it creates a very square hide shape which is not so natural in nature, I have as many as eight poles but usually just use 5 or 6 to create a more rounded shape, or put the fishing brolly up behind me then set out the poles in front to make up the same rounded shape to imitate a large bush or weed patch, I also carry several nets in different colours to try to match any foliage nearby, or use branches to break up the shapes, 

Funny thing is I once met a new shooter out on some rape fields, he just had a small pop up hide tent which was almost purple in colour, and just 6 plastic decoys but the birds were coming in to his decoys without any hesitation, it does make me wonder why I carry all this gear, funny old game!!