Emergency Alerts

AVB

I had just gone to sleep last night (in Tokyo) when I was woken suddenly by both my iphones screaching at me with a very loud siren and somebody shouting very loud (in Japanese). Once I had come to my senses I fell out of bed and got to my phone. They have a system here where emergency notices are broadcast (it was an earthquake warning) and they flash up on your phone with an alert message. Never seen it before but if, on an iPhone, you go to notifications in settings and scroll to the bottom you will see an option form emergency alerts. Has anybody seen this used in any other country?

D476EC51-EC96-4BF5-9F44-12D30CF53819.jpeg

3 hours ago, shaun4860 said:

Mines an iPhone 6 and don't get the emergency option?

My phones are both 6’s are are U.K. phones on a U.K. tariff. I don’t know how the alert system works but they definitely have a way of sending a message and verbal alert to all phones in a specific location 

I bet you do have it. Settings, notifications scroll down to bottom. 

19 hours ago, Mice! said:

Has it not happened before then? That must be 12 or more quakes this year?

Yes we do get a lot of tremors but they only trigger the alert if the quake is over a certain magnitude. Apparently it gives you between 15 and 30 seconds of warning. Enough time to brace or dive under the table. They use the same monitoring and alert system to automatically stop the bullet trains if a quake hits. 

1 hour ago, AVB said:

My phones are both 6’s are are U.K. phones on a U.K. tariff. I don’t know how the alert system works but they definitely have a way of sending a message and verbal alert to all phones in a specific location 

I bet you do have it. Settings, notifications scroll down to bottom. 

The technology exists on the telecoms network that allows a push broadcast to phones.  You can also do bluetooth push messaging in a very similar way.

I believe that our government were/are considering the same solution in the case of things like terror incidents or other civil emergencies in order to keep people out of the way of harm.

I have a friend who works at Vodafone HQ part of his job is to send notifications of an emergency/incident in a specific area. His words were if there was a terrorist attack he can send warnings to only the phones in the vacinity and also unlock the network so if you have no credit to make a call you’ll be able to foc.