What a day on Beans Stubble

Naeem

Our farmer called me on Last Thursday when they were ploughing the fields for drilling. They reported significant numbers on the two Beans stubble fields  and that was enough encouragement for us to show up on the Saturday morning at 8am. The weather was just perfect, plenty of sunshine and gentle breeze.. We were two and decided to sit in the two opposite corners of the field. I got into action as soon I was  all setup around 10 am. I didn't get much rest till 3pm and ended up with 70 in hand and about 5 lost in the bushes. My friend  who was was sitting at a much busier and better hidden place ended up with 72 as well. There were plenty of birds but they were equally challenging as somehow only few decoyed even after changing the pattern 3 times.. I personally prefer challenging shots  :-). The last hour was better as at that point they were dropping just fine. We had mix of adults and young ones so no issues there. I could have gone over hundred on my own but gave up  as I didn't want to waste the birds as we  couldn't find many people who would take them. If you know anyone in Birmingham area who would take birds (even free of cost) then let me know  please., We will keep them in mind next time we go.

The grand total in hand was 142 !

Thanks for reading 🙂

Screenshot_20180930-160051_Gallery.jpg

it's a shame that people now have to stop shooting , when they get to a certain number , for one reason or another we never had this problem years ago ,game dealers don't seem to want them as much  ? just spoil's a good day when they are decoying well , it won't stop me, just debreast them and freez .

A good day and a very good result, but as PC says, perhaps a ready outlet for the birds in advance would have been preferable. It was good that you did show some restraint though. Hopefully an outlet for them was found.

Were the birds decoying onto a field of bean stubble or on the drilling shown in the photo ?

The bean stubbles in my area have produced very little this year as opposed to previous years for some reason. Perhaps it is the amount of maize for biofuel sown hereabouts that seems to be a bigger draw as the bean stubbles were virtually deserted.

OB

On 04/10/2018 at 17:52, old'un said:

Well for someone who had no permissions and was new to pigeon shooting back in July of this year, you sure have done well.:good:

Thank you.. Got similar complements from my experienced partner as well 🙂

On 05/10/2018 at 09:22, Old Boggy said:

A good day and a very good result, but as PC says, perhaps a ready outlet for the birds in advance would have been preferable. It was good that you did show some restraint though. Hopefully an outlet for them was found.

Were the birds decoying onto a field of bean stubble or on the drilling shown in the photo ?

The bean stubbles in my area have produced very little this year as opposed to previous years for some reason. Perhaps it is the amount of maize for biofuel sown hereabouts that seems to be a bigger draw as the bean stubbles were virtually deserted.

OB

They were decoying fine on the bean Stubble, we brought them to this filed for the Photo.  The reason being was most of the fields were empty ready for drilling in that area. 

On 04/10/2018 at 18:12, pigeon controller said:

Well done great result. It concerns me that you do not have a suitable outlet for the shot birds before you go out?

Agreed but We couldn't find game dealers who would take them, so it was all family and friends who took them. 

On 04/10/2018 at 23:16, GingerCat said:

I turn mine into sausages. Very easy and very tasty. The burgers aren't bad either. No one has guessed what they are and none are ever left. 50 or more  breasts soon disappear. No reason to stop a great day. Take up little room too. 

Thanks for the tip 🙂