Which and why. .17hmr

JABB

19 minutes ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Last time l enquired you're looking at 20.000+ rounds to start affecting wear in a hmr barrel. 🤔

Both my brother and I needed replacement barrels before 8000 rounds, they'd started playing up by about 7000 but we both persevered trying all sorts of cleaning regimes till giving up, apparently its the throat area that fails. Mine is a Sako Quad and brothers is an Annie.

Both were corrected with new barrels.

Edited by Dave-G

Don’t discount the t bolt. Very handy shooting from a truck due to short length, light weight and the straight pull make it easier to cock (less movement required) and faster . The composite stock model can store a spare mag in the butt if you really get into the rabbits. The trigger can be sorted at no cost and the straight pull allows more scope mounting options ie lower mounting.

2 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Both my brother and I needed replacement barrels before 8000 rounds, they'd started playing up by about 7000 but we both persevered trying all sorts of cleaning regimes till giving up, apparently its the throat area that fails. Mine is a Sako Quad and brothers is an Annie.

Both were corrected with new barrels.

Not a CZ then 😂😂

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Clearly not lol. We persevered so long because we too had thoughts that rimfire barrels don't get burnt out.

.22RF barrels do erode, years ago we sectioned some .22 martinis from front to back for display purposes, they were certified legally  as deacts and framed for sale as decorators.  The history of the rifles was unknown but they were high mileage ex club rifles,  I was quite amazed at how much of the crispness had gone from the first inch or two of rifling and they all had multiple ring bulges. Presumably, since they had remained in use all those years accuracy had remained acceptable .

We only stopped because the effort in time was too great for the reward. The dealer we were selling through was ripping us off. I still think its a good idea. Now I am retired I could see it as an opportunity again.

Edited by Vince Green

38 minutes ago, Dekers said:

He has decided for whatever reason he needs a HMR, that is different form a .22lr and without doubt is  very different animal.

I already have .22lr and the HMR is to compliment it.

Great comments guys.

Yes JABB your original post no mention of 22lr thought you were looking just for a rim fire Just giving you my opinion that think 22 lr better for bunnies but apart from that I  once had t bolt 17  hmr accurate rifle but the trigger not great on browning good luck 

1 hour ago, spandit said:

Care to elaborate? I was led to believe the trigger wasn't very adjustable

If you take the trigger assembly apart there is a plastic shelf that the trigger Spring sits on. This is the reason why the trigger is so heavy. Simply remove this shelf, bend the spring up a touch and hey presto. There are a few guides if you google it.

Thanks for that, Whitester. Wish I'd known before I bought my bolt action rifles! It is a cool action

Funnily enough, this review says the trigger is one of the best out there:

http://www.rifleshootermagazine.co.uk/gun-tests/browning-t-bolt-target-laminate-22lr-rifle-review-1-4577736

Edited by spandit