Kavanaugh

Velocette

On 05/10/2018 at 09:07, CaptainBeaky said:

So on the basis of one report from an ex-boyfriend, whose name was redacted from the FBI report, Dr Ford is a proven liar and a fraudster, but despite numerous accusations from a variety of alleged victims who have come forward into the public eye, Brett Kavanaugh is as innocent as a newborn lamb?

And, surprise surprise, the FBI report that they had less than a week to compile, within parameters set by the White House, came out inconclusive.

Regardless of BK's innocence or guilt, as a member of the highest court in the US, with huge influence over policy direction and process, he needs to be spotless, and needs to be seen to be spotless. If there is a question mark over his suitability, and this affair has raised that question, he should not be appointed before being exonerated following due process.

The half-(donkeyed!), rushed and hobbled investigation was not sufficient to either allay doubts or disqualify him.

Ad hominem attacks on witnesses are also not part of due process. Or maybe they are in the US today?

Well that strikes me as being quite sanctimonious.

She was a drunken teenager who got groped. Probably by another drunken teenager. As a doctor she would have spent several years at university so I very much doubt if it was the the only time she had it happen.

It's obviously an amateurishly transparent attempt by the Democrats to discredit Kavanaugh and prevent his appointment and my guess is that's the conclusion the FBI came to as well.

But sure as day follows night, the Democrats would certainly dredge up someone to bring accusations of something trendy like sexual assault or similar against any other candidate that Trump puts forward.

48 minutes ago, Westward said:

She was a drunken teenager who got groped. Probably by another drunken teenager. 

Without her consent (as reported). Which makes it a sexual assault.

Does the fact that either or both were drunk make it any less so? Victim-blaming, much?

1 minute ago, CaptainBeaky said:

Without her consent (as reported). Which makes it a sexual assault.

Does the fact that either or both were drunk make it any less so? Victim-blaming, much?

Does the fact that she (a self styled democrat activist)  only just 'remembered' BK groped her 35 years ago , 2 weeks before he ( Trumps man) gets confirmed to the Supreme court, make it any less suspicious ?

Its like me getting groped, and 35 years later, seeing someone who looks like my assailant winning a seat in Parliament, and me coming out the woodwork to complain.

#metoo  #mengetgropedtoo  #jumponthebandwagon  #imsickofthisbs 😋

The timing does cast some doubt, but not beyond belief- from a quick read around the subject, a lot of assaults go unreported at the time, due to trauma, embarrassment, fear of not being believed, fear of being found at fault ("she was drunk/wearing inappropriate clothing/'inviting it'").

An (alleged) assailant being appointed to the highest office might just be the trigger to go public.

Or, it might be a cynical attempt to block an appointment for political reasons.

What would, I think, be creditable is for the same standard of proof to be applied to both sides, rather than the present rather childish partisan mud-slinging. I have very little hope of this.

4 hours ago, Rewulf said:

#imsickofthisbs

Yup.

40 minutes ago, CaptainBeaky said:

What would, I think, be creditable is for the same standard of proof to be applied to both sides

No one should have to prove innocence. The burden of proof should be on the accuser as Kavanaugh himself pointed out.

I don't really care who did what to whom in this sorry business. What I do care about is that a woman can accuse a man of sexual assault some 35 years ago and expect to be believed, even when it's only her word against his and ten thousand outraged women march in her support on Washington as if it's case proven.

What if she were to accuse the guy who lived next to her in 1984 of stealing her lawnmower? Would anyone take it seriously?

Quite simply, thanks to Wenstein, sexual assault is flavour of the month right now.

10 minutes ago, Westward said:

No one should have to prove innocence. The burden of proof should be on the accuser as Kavanaugh himself pointed out.

I don't really care who did what to whom in this sorry business. What I do care about is that a woman can accuse a man of sexual assault some 35 years ago and expect to be believed, even when it's only her word against his and ten thousand outraged women march in her support on Washington as if it's case proven.

What if she were to accuse the guy who lived next to her in 1984 of stealing her lawnmower? Would anyone take it seriously?

Quite simply, thanks to Wenstein, sexual assault is flavour of the month right now.

If I was BK, I would certainly be looking at some kind of lawsuit against some of his accusers.

Its about time this leftist weapon of choice came with some consequences.

If I was BK, I would certainly be looking at some kind of lawsuit against some of his accusers.

Its about time this leftist weapon of choice came with some consequences.

There is no chance of that, it could rake over old coals and keep it in the media the last thing he wants. 

Edited by ordnance

It will be very interesting if they discover who leaked it to the press.

This was not about a sexual attack on Ford, it was a blatant attempt to prevent a Republican Judge being promoted, if not, then why did Feinstein hold on to it for 90 days and in my view she arranged the leak by a another person so she looked squeeky clean....if ever she could.    As the saying goes, it ain't all over till the fat lady sings.....lots more to be revealed I'm sure.

I'm a little confused that BK was not tied into a Russian deal somewhere by the Dems.

2 hours ago, Yellow Bear said:

However the Dems may well have opened Pandora's box and will find every candidate they later submit for office will have to be more than squeaky clean, which will probably prove impossible

Doubt that! They only seem to think it’s an issue when it’s not them doing it.

Kavanaugh does have history in his youth. He had a ‘privileged white frat boy’ upbringing which gave him a degree of protection. What he should have done was say something along the lines of “we have all done things in our youth that we are not proud of but I have matured and would point to ....”. Had he done so it would have died down. Instead he went on the offensive. 

This what my American colleagues tell me.