10 bore reloading

A complete novice to reloading so bare with me on this. 

I'm looking to start reloading for my 10 using steel shot. I don't fire a lot of cartridges so I'm looking to make batches of 20 at a time. 

Can I easily hand load the pre primed cases without buying a loading machine ( mec 600 etc)  and use a roll turn over finish instead of crimp. ? 

Basically I feel I don't use enough to warrant buying a full reloading setup. 

Is there still hand tools available to buy to do this ? 

Many thanks 

Ross

8 hours ago, ratty1 said:

A complete novice to reloading so bare with me on this. 

I'm looking to start reloading for my 10 using steel shot. I don't fire a lot of cartridges so I'm looking to make batches of 20 at a time. 

Can I easily hand load the pre primed cases without buying a loading machine ( mec 600 etc)  and use a roll turn over finish instead of crimp. ? 

Basically I feel I don't use enough to warrant buying a full reloading setup. 

Is there still hand tools available to buy to do this ? 

Many thanks 

Ross

I bought a 10g lee loader from American ebay, lee loader not to be confused with lee loadall, even simpler is the following, part one of 3 in the series. I havnt tried this but would work with a RTO

The answer depends on what gun you are using. Roll turnover is fine if you are not using an auto. I found they miss fed in my browning gold and caused frequent jams. I am fairly certain that I have seen them used in an SP10. I ended up buying a mec steelmaster which may be way too expensive solution for you but I am out a few times a week throughout the season.

I wouldn’t be too drawn into the better than factory thing. Personally I fail to see how much “deader” the last few birds I’ve had could have been. I do/can reload but frankly see little point now. Unless its just for the sake of it. 

Choke is the secret with steel. Not eternally bigger pellets or super fast speed. 

.720 terror or failing that Brierly IM or LF will transform any 10. 

As motty has mentioned. I would like to load duck loads aswell as goose. 

I know factory loads will do the job just aswel but theres something about shooting with your own cartridges. 

Plus the price of factory loads are getting silly. I've always used Winchester Supremes , I've got a few boxes left but I don't think there available anymore. Drylock,nitro steel are too expensive , rhinos seem to be the only affordable ones . 

I've got 50 homeloads left from a chap up in Scotland. There great but work out expensive, 

So in time I'd like to make my own. 

ratty you can get a roll turnover head to fit in a drill from Kev Bellish  Gape reloading UK, he lives in  Annan ,Dunfrieshire, Kev will give a hand on loads for 10g he knows his stuff

iv'e just sold my Mec 600 mrk 5 10g  has I wiegh all my shot and powder by hand anyway and all I used the press for was to deprime & resize & prime the cases,  if you use new cases & case fired in your gun they won't need rezing,  1 tip that I use , find an olive oli bottle that has a pourer that are like wad fingers to start the wads into cases,

atb DD

You can get all reloading supplies from clay & game just go to there web site. You will want some 3.5 primed cases tps wads some 20 bore felt wads to use as fillers to bring shot up to required level, steel shot I use copper coated ones 42 grams which is not a heavy load but does the job on ducks and geese and does not kick as much as a heavy load. the powder I use is maxum sb 150 its cheaper than alliant steel and works just as well and a shot card. you will need a roll turn over available from clay & game and pillar drill to use it with. I have a friend who just seals his shot card with bathroom sealer and works real well.