Barrel Dampener

wymberley

Have finally made up my mind and am going for a WSM and the Ruger in particular. When it comes to a new rimfire we all take a slack handful of the various choices of ammo available to us and then settle for the one that suits the gun best. Problem is the choice for the WSM in the UK at the moment is Hobson's. Consequently I was wondering if the Subject bit of kit from Limbsavers is any good or is it just solidified snake oil. I can't seem to find any in the UK and there's various views on them but I would image some conceal a pecuniary interest.

Any thoughts anyone?

I have no experience of .17WSM but do use some fairly hefty cf rounds. Looking at the barrel profile of the WSM rifles on Guntrader and the Ruger in particular I wouldn’t have thought that rubber ring would make any difference at all. On a light whippy hunting profile barrel maybe, but on a Sundberg taper (or similar) as per the Ruger and Savage I can’t see it making any difference whatsoever......

my 2p’s worth...

Personally, I would suck it and see with your new rifle and moderator if fitted. If you can't get good grouping with the limited choice of ammo available, it might be something to try after checking all the usual suspects such as bedding barrel float etc. The cost and hassle is way less than selling a new gun you can't get on with.

This guy certainly is a convert:

Edited by TriBsa

23 minutes ago, TriBsa said:

Personally, I would suck it and see with your new rifle and moderator if fitted. If you can't get good grouping with the limited choice of ammo available, it might be something to try after checking all the usual suspects such as bedding barrel float etc. The cost and hassle is way less than selling a new gun you can't get on with.

This guy certainly is a convert:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Xq2G2MubmuE" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

In one respect, the ammo choice being Hobson's does make things less complicated. Your suggestions - with the possible exception of the moderator - are the routine logical sequence of actions. I had never heard of these things until yesterday. Richard Utting waxed lyrical about them but I can't find them in the UK. As you say, if all else fails and for the sake of a couple of quid ..........

It would be good to see what your link has to say but it isn't working for me.

Edited by wymberley

I really think it depends on what your shooting, gnats gonads at 200yrds then I'd give it a try, if not  just to get rid of a bit of loose change in your pocket. 

You could always use a load of elastic bands wrapped around the barrel or bicycle innertube.

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

In one respect, the ammo choice being Hobson's does make things less complicated. Your suggestions - with the possible exception of the moderator - are the routine logical sequence of actions. I had never heard of these things until yesterday. Richard Utting waxed lyrical about them but I can't find them in the UK. As you say, if all else fails and for the sake of a couple of quid ..........

It would be good to see what your link has to say but it isn't working for me.

Link is now working. I post videos so infrequently that I forget how to do it each time. But the link is Richard Utting so you've seen it.