Walnut Log

moondoggy

Hi guys,

Bit of a long shot, but I was wondering if anyone in the Lincolnshire area have a recently felled walnut log available.

Something around 12" to 18" diameter by about 24" long would be ideal.

I want to have a go at hand carving a bowl using my new adze.

If anyone has anything, please let me know. 

7 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

Would a seasoned one not be better , its going to  split .

No. Firstly, greenwood is easier to carve. Secondly, once you split the log down the middle with an axe of a froe, it relieves the stresses and greatly reduces any chance of splitting.

All my spoons are carved out of greenwood using this technique, not had one crack yet.

1 hour ago, Konnie said:

Have a call around some tree surgeons arborists put your name forward  with winter coming they may have some if come down in storms etc.

I have tried a couple, but they wouldn't play ball.

I suppose when they are on a job, they don't have time to wait around for me to come along with my trailer to collect it.

1 hour ago, Sws said:

Hi, I have a large English walnut tree I sadly had to cut down last year. Been in garden since as not had time to do anything with it. I'm on Norfolk / Suffolk boarder so maybe to far for you. 

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am often down near Spalding, how far from there are you?

Near Diss so quite a way! Often work in Kings Lynn. Be happy to send you some if you're desperate ...Not sure how much a courier would be tho!

It would be nice if it was of use to someone! I had planned to get the tree planked and dried but haven't had the time. As a cabinet maker I should get it together!