cartridge

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, davewh100 said:

can any one recommend a cartridge 32g 4s looking for a slab don't want to pay silly money had a couple of quote for high pheasant not looking for anything fancy just basic, for cormorants and gooesander

Fiochi PL32 fibre 4  £76.50 slab from Just Cartridges 

3 hours ago, davewh100 said:

can any one recommend a cartridge 32g 4s looking for a slab don't want to pay silly money had a couple of quote for high pheasant not looking for anything fancy just basic, for cormorants and gooesander

Why do you want cartridges for  protected birds ?

30 minutes ago, motty said:

Buy 32gm 6 instead.

If he was asking for 3 shot, should he buy 5 instead?

12 minutes ago, AYA117 said:

I assume he has a license to shoot the aforementioned birds. I reckon he can save money and get some 32gm 6.

8 hours ago, AYA117 said:

yeah i have a licence from natural england to cull cormorants and gooesander on club waters there getting worse every year now, tryed 5s 4s seem to do the job better with one shot 

Shot big, big numbers of Cormorants in the 70's.

The bounty was 50p a head which was the price of a pint at that time !

The favoured cartridge for the job was Eley Alphamax 1-1/4 oz ( 36g ) 3's & 4's.

I would imagine Victory 35g 4's  ( UK 3-1/2's ) would do a good job and not too expensive.

Edited by Robertt

Guest cookoff013
37 minutes ago, Stonepark said:

Probably a silly question, but if shooting over waters or sssi, should he not be using steel in englandshire?

In whuch case eley lightning no 1's?

Yeah.

You could even cobble together a cheap big shot homeload

7 hours ago, Stonepark said:

Probably a silly question, but if shooting over waters or sssi, should he not be using steel in englandshire?

In whuch case eley lightning no 1's?

this is a very good question it's ok to shoot cormorants with led but like stonepark says if it's a sssi gooesander are duck and should be shot with none toxic 

13 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

this is a very good question it's ok to shoot cormorants with led but like stonepark says if it's a sssi gooesander are duck and should be shot with none toxic 

It surely is not okay to shoot either species with lead as you will be in the area where the water is going to get the lead.

14 minutes ago, davewh100 said:

sssi has nothing to do with it. Water wetlands Marshland etc it's illegal to shot waterfowl/wildfowl with Lead has to be Non Toxic shot. When shooting protected Waterfowl/Wildfowl with a Licence it also clearly states Non Toxic shot and if using a semi auto/Pump it must be only capable of holding 2 in magazine one in chamber eg 3 shot and mine even states 20ga-16ga or 12ga when using a shotgun breaking any rules will result in License being revoked and shooter/shooter's being Prosecuted.

4 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

sssi has nothing to do with it. Water wetlands Marshland etc it's illegal to shot waterfowl/wildfowl with Lead has to be Non Toxic shot. When shooting protected Waterfowl/Wildfowl with a Licence it also clearly states Non Toxic shot and if using a semi auto/Pump it must be only capable of holding 2 in magazine one in chamber eg 3 shot and mine even states 20ga-16ga or 12ga when using a shotgun breaking any rules will result in License being revoked and shooter/shooter's being Prosecuted.

just read my licence condition all it states is only 12g 16g 20g shotgun can be used and no or her firearm and 6s and smaller shot can not be used and bbs 3s & 4s is the preferred shot so untill I'm told be natural england any difference 

3 hours ago, AYA117 said:

I think the law does not only say any wildfowl must be shot with non toxic, but anything shot with a shotgun on or over wetlands, rivers, ponds etc. must also be shot with non toxic,.

doesn't stipulate on my licence about none toxic which is the condition of natural england

2 hours ago, figgy said:

36g1shot steel will do what you need and keep you right side of the law.

Eley lightning or  Gamebore mammoths.  80-90 a slab of 250.

how many you got a licence to shoot? A few boxes may suffice. 

thanks figgy for info i will contact natural england on monday to clear this matter up 

11 hours ago, davewh100 said:

just read my licence condition all it states is only 12g 16g 20g shotgun can be used and no or her firearm and 6s and smaller shot can not be used and bbs 3s & 4s is the preferred shot so untill I'm told be natural england any difference 

If you have been shooting Goosander and Cormorant with Lead you have Broken the Law Fact .

Your Licence as mine or anybody else's intitles you to take a given number of named species of otherwise protected bird..

Canada Egyptian Geese which now can be shot all year round still have to be shot with Non Toxic shot as does any bird classed as Waterfowl/Wildfowl which are covered by the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 ( as amended ).

Scotland does have different laws but again if you are shooting places of sssi - wetlands - ( which includes River ponds Loch ) Marshland you have use Non Toxic shot.

11 hours ago, AYA117 said:

I think the law does not only say any wildfowl must be shot with non toxic, but anything shot with a shotgun on or over wetlands, rivers, ponds etc. must also be shot with non toxic,.

Very true , most people who shoot wildfowl would know that , but I wonder how many game shooters would know the same rules would apply to them.

A lot of the land around the Broads have game shooting this time of the year , would a visiting gun who have paid good money to shoot Partridges be told they must only use non toxic cartridges throughout the day on game as well as the odd duck ? , we know they should be told , but in reality how many are told the rules ?

6 hours ago, marsh man said:

Very true , most people who shoot wildfowl would know that , but I wonder how many game shooters would know the same rules would apply to them.

A lot of the land around the Broads have game shooting this time of the year , would a visiting gun who have paid good money to shoot Partridges be told they must only use non toxic cartridges throughout the day on game as well as the odd duck ? , we know they should be told , but in reality how many are told the rules ?

must admit I'm not really up on wildfowling but wen i call natural england tomorrow and told that I do need none toxic I'm going to be well miffed of nothing on my licence to state other wise just shotgun and shot size