Hello

Popgun 47

Hi, I'm new to Pigeon watch. so I just want to post a short introduction.

I'm a member of local rifle and pistol club.

Having just taken up air gun shooting, I,have an Air Arms s410 tdr and a Walther Rotex RM8.

Presently shooting targets to develop the skill required for accurate shooting, before moving on to vermin.

If anyone would like to invite me to shoot Brown Rats or Grey Squirrels, in the East Sussex area, I'd be more than happy to accept.

I'm a 71 year old man, non smoker.

All the best.

Hi Moondoggy, great name 😊.

Thanks for the hello.

I, took the RM8 to the rifle club today, this was the first time I've fired it, zeroed the scope, I'm well pleased with it, so much so I left the 410 in its case 😦

I, haven't had the opportunity to do any vermin shooting as I'm limited to the range at the club.

I, got a rifle in the first place to have a bash at rats and  the feathered rats that stripped my sprout and cabbage plants as soon as I planted them out.

it soon became clear that other people on the allotments were too curious, so Rather than risk someone 'ratting' on me, I decided against my planned cull.

After a few months brushing up on my shooting technique, at the club,using a BSA Meteor mk 7

I,saw a tdr and thought 🤔that looks nice and discreet, and ditch the springer, but now I worried about getting it confiscated, so I, only shoot at the club.

1066 Rifle and Pistol club.

The leaves are falling, soon there'll be nowhere to hide for the vermin be they furred or feathered.

All the best

20181006_145516.jpg

20180902_192508.jpg

For me, the real purpose of the tdr is discretion.

the rifle packs into a case and, when the A A  badge is removed just looks like a small case when carried by the handle  or, it can be carried as a back pack using the detachable straps.

I, can walk down the street and nobody even suspect I'm carrying a rifle (unloaded).

That's the reason I, bought it.

Thank you for posting photos.

I wanted the TDR myself. I remember trying one many years ago at the Midland Game Fair, but I bought the normal AA410 as it was a bit cheaper.

I like the varmint. Was the bipod already fitted or did you fit it?

I’ve read that they are a bit scary to fit beacause there isn’t a great deal of material in that area.

I shoot rats and squirrels in my garden, got a couple of acres of woodland type garden, so a fair bit of sport to be had. Could do with more rats to shoot though. I think my next investment might be a Yukon Photon to get the little blighters at night.

5 hours ago, Popgun 47 said:

Hi Moondoggy, great name 😊.

Thanks for the hello.

I, took the RM8 to the rifle club today, this was the first time I've fired it, zeroed the scope, I'm well pleased with it, so much so I left the 410 in its case 😦

I, haven't had the opportunity to do any vermin shooting as I'm limited to the range at the club.

I, got a rifle in the first place to have a bash at rats and  the feathered rats that stripped my sprout and cabbage plants as soon as I planted them out.

it soon became clear that other people on the allotments were too curious, so Rather than risk someone 'ratting' on me, I decided against my planned cull.

After a few months brushing up on my shooting technique, at the club,using a BSA Meteor mk 7

I,saw a tdr and thought 🤔that looks nice and discreet, and ditch the springer, but now I worried about getting it confiscated, so I, only shoot at the club.

1066 Rifle and Pistol club.

The leaves are falling, soon there'll be nowhere to hide for the vermin be they furred or feathered.

All the best

20181006_145516.jpg

20180902_192508.jpg

Oh, I see what you mean now,🤓...in thepic' of tbe tdr, the scope is detached from the gun.

I, had just bought the gun, when I took the photo, there were no mounts with the scope, that's why it wasn't mounted, since I, got mounts and set up the scope it has been a fixture on the gun. sorry for the confusion 😊

18 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Thank you for posting photos.

I wanted the TDR myself. I remember trying one many years ago at the Midland Game Fair, but I bought the normal AA410 as it was a bit cheaper.

I like the varmint. Was the bipod already fitted or did you fit it?

I’ve read that they are a bit scary to fit beacause there isn’t a great deal of material in that area.

I shoot rats and squirrels in my garden, got a couple of acres of woodland type garden, so a fair bit of sport to be had. Could do with more rats to shoot though. I think my next investment might be a Yukon Photon to get the little blighters at night.

The RM8 had the bipod on when I got it.

There's problem fitting a bipod to the front forestock as it has a Picatinny rail ready to take an attachment.

I was going to fit a bipod that clamps onto the barrel but it's now surplus to requirements. although it's as useful as the rail mounted one and very quick and easy to mount dismount I decided to go with the one already fitted.

Photo's to demonstrate.

20181008_173919.jpg

20181008_174048.jpg

20181008_173632.jpg

20181008_173737.jpg

PS, I've just bought a Yukon xt 6.5x50 with a doubler, not fitted yet, need 11mm to Picatinny rail or  30mm scope rings 11mm dovetail mounts.

Encouraging more rats /Magpies ,whatever to come in, lay down food in spot where you have clear sight of anything taking the bait, top it up regularly and wait for awhile and see what comes along once they are confident that it's safe. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2018 at 18:04, Popgun 47 said:

PS, I've just bought a Yukon xt 6.5x50 with a doubler, not fitted yet, need 11mm to Picatinny rail or  30mm scope rings 11mm dovetail mounts.

Encouraging more rats /Magpies ,whatever to come in, lay down food in spot where you have clear sight of anything taking the bait, top it up regularly and wait for awhile and see what comes along once they are confident that it's safe. 

Have you tried the Yukon yet?

Just wondering what you think about it?

22 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Have you tried the Yukon yet?

Just wondering what you think about it?

Not had an opportunity to take it out on a rifle yet. I, have taken it out using it as a spotting scope to look around my allotment after dark, spotted rats, fox, badger,

The scope has a lot of potential, I like it.