Hotch

thought I would say hello to everyone.

I have been clay shooting for around a year with my Grandfather which i love doing. he used to take me when I was 14 but as a teenager I lost interest. I also live in North Somerset and go to Mendip shooting ground frequently. are there any other shooting grounds in and around my area anyone would recommend don't mind traveling uptown 45 mins ?

currently in the process of getting my SGC which should be here in next couple of weeks.

I have also been lucky enough to have my girlfriends father give me his shotgun which he no longer uses, It's a Beretta 686s 1989 28" M/C with no more than 2k shots through it. gun is pretty much new. I was wondering what chokes are best used for clays, the gun I use at the moment has 1/2 and 1/4 fixed and the 686 currently has a choke with 4 notches and 5 notches.

Thanks Aaron.

Pretty much most sporting can be shot with using 1/4 &. 1/2 chokes. Just put these in and forget about them apart from making sure you remove them every time you clean the gun. And stick with one cartridge and just concentrate on your shooting. Sticking to one cartridge and choke combination will help remove doubt in the mind as in 'perhaps I should have used X choke instead of y choke on that stand or X cartridge instead of y cartridge on that stand'. I've been shooting clays for a few years and even now I still use the exact same set up as I started out with. 

2 hours ago, Hotch said:

thanks I will keep on practising and see how I get on with the 686s and take some lessons.

I'd also take the gun to a local gunsmith to measure to ensure it fits you correctly. I didn't bother for some time and thought my shooting was ok but when I went in to collect from having gun serviced the chap also double checked the fit on me. Found out my eye alignment with bead was miles out!! He nipped out back made an adjustment and checked again, now instead of me just clipping clays I'm turning them into clouds of dust!!! 

Mill farm clay shoot in Dundry is a friendly team-based shoot and good fun, and is the ground I go to most. There’s also Braces’ ground in Dundry too but I’ve not given that a go. Meadowcroft is a nice 100 bird shoot in Marksbury that is a little too challenging for me as it seems to be mainly for Pros (at least that’s my excuse for my poor performance!). Bristol Clay Shoot in/near Wotton-under-Edge might be a bit far from wherever you are but has a good range of targets and is reasonably priced.

Edited by Cheesefiend

On 08/10/2018 at 12:30, Cheesefiend said:

Mill farm clay shoot in Dundry is a friendly team-based shoot and good fun, and is the ground I go to most. There’s also Braces’ ground in Dundry too but I’ve not given that a go. Meadowcroft is a nice 100 bird shoot in Marksbury that is a little too challenging for me as it seems to be mainly for Pros (at least that’s my excuse for my poor performance!). Bristol Clay Shoot in/near Wotton-under-Edge might be a bit far from wherever you are but has a good range of targets and is reasonably priced.

Thanks for the other places I will have to have ago at them myself. I have been to Braces and wasn’t a fan to be honest. There were lots of stag parties which I wasn’t against but they insisted we didn’t go on certain traps because they will be using them. 

On 06/10/2018 at 16:24, eastdevon said:

I'd also take the gun to a local gunsmith to measure to ensure it fits you correctly. I didn't bother for some time and thought my shooting was ok but when I went in to collect from having gun serviced the chap also double checked the fit on me. Found out my eye alignment with bead was miles out!! He nipped out back made an adjustment and checked again, now instead of me just clipping clays I'm turning them into clouds of dust!!! 

I will get someone to check for gun figment as people have said that is the most important thing.