Powder change

Hi lads there was somebody on here a few weeks ago who had to change powder for 20 bore.

I have the same problem was using vectran A1 but used last tube yesterday now using psb+2.

I phoned clay game asked what powder weight to use i told them i am using new fiochi 70mm cases and obulater discs and 14mm fiber wads 28gram lead was told i could us 19 grains of psb+2 powder.

What do you lads think that load 20 bore all advice would be helpfull i have been reloading for 40 plus years.

be careful, All Maxam powders went through a restyle few years back and are totally different to what they were.

PSB1 & PSB2 are now even called PSB+1 and PSB+2; also check out for the PSB=2 SP (SPecial) which is the slower version.

This is a recent test in the proofing barrel

20/70 cx1000 psb+2

Powder: 1,35

Lead: 27

Wad: Z2m19

closed: star crimp @ 59,8 mm:

Pressure: 787/807 bar

V2,5 400/402.

This same one with CX1000, SG21 and closed at 58 mm has returned pressure of 989/1001 bar and speed around 415 m/s so, be careful the powder is very sensitive but 19gr seems fair unless you close RTO (then 20 would be advisable)

Personally,  I would start 1,25-,30 x 26 with CX1000 or (better) Fiocchi 615 star crimp and spinned at 59 mm; pattern plate, field test and then make adjustments

11 hours ago, snow white said:

Thank you lads expecialy continental shooter will be try in some out on saturday on the pheasants.

Tony

no worries mate, but please stick to the height closure or RTO (every mm you close it lower will increase 80-100 bar compared to the orignal load)

I know some people here don't care about pressure for safety reasons (test show that it breaks at 1500 bar ...the old chestnut) but pressure also disrupt the pattern meaning potentially more miss or pricked birds 

cheers,

20 hours ago, sitsinhedges said:

The original C&G cd has some very dodgy data on it.

I think they're just old and tested using older batches of powder

I retested some of their load in another proofing houses and failed or got poor results; namely with A1 (as we know it's the dogiest of all A series) and PSB1 & 2 (another very unstable product).  If you add to this the ristyle from PSB1 & PSB2 to PSB+1 & PSB+22 (faster burning than the previous ones) then you're very likely to have fails or dodgy data.

there are powder that haven't changed in 50+ years, and powders that change every year ... that's why some are cheap and some aren't ....

Thanks again if i can i will try a pattern plate i know you can blow the pattern out we used to experment in the 70is we had a lovely cartrige but we tried making it faster added a bit more powder you could have got  a elephant in pattern with out one pellet hitting it.

People think that a fast cartridge is a good cartridge but thats not so