Bins suggestions please

PPP

2 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've got a set of Hawke Nature Trek, which are superb and value for money. They also carry a ten year warranty.

Excellent, thanks, I like Hawke stuff and their service is very good, that’s encouraging! I liked the idea of endurance 8*56 but thin they might be too bulky?

16 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I've got a set of Hawke Nature Trek, which are superb and value for money. They also carry a ten year warranty.

Agree there, purchased a pair for my wife and they are equal to my Swarovskis.

I also have a large pair of Hawke which I only use when static, as , yes, they are heavy. 

Edited by Walker570

3 hours ago, Harnser said:

Look at the opticron range . They start at about £150 up to £ 1000 . I have just bought one of the top end models and they are absolutely fantastic . Or look at the minox range ,cheaper but really good bins .

harnser

This ☝️ recently bought Opticrons Naturas (£260)  8x42 these are crackin bins, with a 30 year warranty :good:

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Agree there, purchased a pair for my wife and they are equal to my Swarovskis.

I also have a large pair of Hawke which I only use when static, as , yes, they are heavy. 

Really brilliant, thAnks..

5 hours ago, walshie said:

Vortex are very good and offer a lifetime guarantee.

I wondered about these..

1 hour ago, moor man said:

+1 for Hawke frontier excellent quality/valuefor the money.

Brill, thanks!

6 minutes ago, daveboy said:

Have you tried a monocular ?  I got an opticron monocular and would not go back to binos.

Nope hadn’t even considered it, other than size, what’s the upside?

12 minutes ago, PPP said:

Brill, thanks!

Nope hadn’t even considered it, other than size, what’s the upside?

Weight and price....you are only getting half a bino to be fair.....Opticron dba vhd binos 8x42 £579 monocular £289.

One of the big things for me is I can hand them to the wife to use without having to change the dioptre.

You need to think how you are going to use them - especially as regards light levels.  You mention 8 x 56.  These are designed for the best performance in low light/twilight conditions - where they will be better than smaller models ......... but they are more expensive, heavy and cumbersome.  All that extra cost, weight and size are wasted when the light is good.  Good large binos are expensive.

If you are only using in fair to good light conditions some 8 or 10 x 32 or 40 will be good, and better value - and easier to carry for long periods.

If you use in good to very good light, even 8 x 20 can be very good - albeit with a slightly reduced field of view.  They are, however, really convenient.

See if you can borrow some different sizes and have a trial as it gets dark one evening to see how great the difference is.  I'm not going to name a make since I am out of date on recent models, having bought my 'for life' Leicas several years ago.  Ultimately, Leica/Swarovski/Zeiss are very very good (and pretty much as good as each other)  in all sizes.

Finally, if you are a glasses wearer, you will need a model with a decently large 'eye relief'.  ALWAYS try for this BEFORE you buy.

I bought a pair of Vanguard Endeavor ED £128 3 years ago, these are good enough to see movement (deer or fox during deer legal times) enabling a shot with an 8x56 S+B scope, excellent value for money as if I miss seeing a deer in the gloom there is always another day.

20 hours ago, PPP said:

Thanks for the suggestions gus, I went with nature trek in the end having not an enough improvement to justify spending more.

Are there any issues with keeping them in the shooting bag in the garage?

If they of good quality and sealed then I cant see a problem, mice proof too. You may get surface hold, but are you that short of space in the house ? Hang them on a coat hook under your favourite outdoor coat. 

3 hours ago, Dougy said:

If they of good quality and sealed then I cant see a problem, mice proof too. You may get surface hold, but are you that short of space in the house ? Hang them on a coat hook under your favourite outdoor coat. 

Yeah, recently moved shooting bags out to garage to keep domestic bliss, but this one has sneaked back in!