Two Hours after the rain Stopped

pigeon controller

We set out in heavy rain which was supposed to stop at 12.00 14.00 and 18.00 according to which weather app you looked at. We had received a call the previous night that the crows and pigeons were on and old bean field which had now been seeded with wheat. Driving round it we counted fourteen crows no pigeon so we carried on. We came up to a maize field which had been cut last week and watched it for twenty minutes as it had a constant stream of birds setting for it in the rain, spoke to the farmer and he was concerned that the shoot would object to us shooting!!!

We carried on and it was now 12.00 and the rain was still heavy and we found another maize field which we did not know about due to the flightline to it. We enquired about the shooting and the answer was the owners son will shoot it on Sunday.

It was now 13.30 and we found another line of birds crossing one of our farms to a stubble maize field next to our permission. We phoned our farmer and he informed us that it was his land but rented to a tenant and we could shoot the wood next to it but not the stubble unless the tenant gave us permission. We went to his farm and it was deserted so we rang, answer machine , left a message eventually he came back to us and said no!!

So it is a long walk to the wood we could shoot, not able to drive due to cultivated fields. So the Kit List was as follows:-

Gun, cartridges, coffee and bags to bring the pigeon back to the Disco

The rain had stopped and we built a hide with bracken in the fence at the point the birds were crossing the wood, any birds that fell in the maize field were not retrieved till the end of the day!!! The wood is about two acres and DB stood behind me to the left and picked of the high crossers out of my range and I shot the lower birds who were looking to see the fallen birds. We started at 14.00 and by 16.00 it was all over and we picked up fifty eight pigeons shot in two hours. Due to the reduced kit list I had forgoten my camera and had to use my phone.

It was enjoyable shooting.

thumbnail.jpg

58 pigeons after the rain stopped

Very good going in the amount of time you were shooting .

What did stand out was your persistence in obtaining permission when you found a field you thought worth setting up for , when I looked around for pigeon shooting I was the same but I don't think I ever asked three different places on the same day and certainly not this time of the year as I would know where ever you found pigeons there would most likely have game shooting on most if not all of the land and I would know the answer before I asked .:no:

Well done and GOOD LUCK on your next day out .