The Wild Life

moondoggy

For those who enjoy a good read, I can really recommend The Wild Life by John Lewis-Stempel.

The author one day decided to try and live for a year on wild food shot, caught or foraged off his forty acre farm Herefordshire hill farm.

I think it is a book that the majority of our country loving members will really enjoy. Just the thing to read with a wee dram in front of a cosy fire on the cold winter evenings.

Anyone else already read it?

9 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Anyone else already read it?

I'm in the process of reading it and can concur it's a great book. What I really like is that it's all from his little patch and he's not off every other week with a "friend from Scotland with a red deer problem" or the like - it's a genuine living from his land approach.

6 hours ago, getthegat said:

🤔 can't seem to find it on my Kindle.

£3.99 on Amazon

5 hours ago, Scully said:

Will have a gander for this book, sounds a good read; although 40 acres doesn’t seem big for a farm, admittedly a 40 acre field is a BIG field. 

Thanks for the heads up. 👍

There is a new hardback copy on Amazon for £4.99 plus p&p at the moment.

46 minutes ago, getthegat said:

Got my Kindle copy from Amazon, enjoying it😀 right up my street. Now all I need is 1.2 million and a small holding to purchase

So glad you are enjoying it.

I am usually not keen on recommending things as everyone’s tastes are so different, but I did feel fairly confident that some of you guys would enjoy this read.

Thank you for your feedback.

I'm only a little way into this book, but already loving it. My sleep pattern is rubbish, often I'm awake at silly o'clock and rather than start worrying about work, now I can pick up this book. This morning I was struggling with not laughing out loud, but managed to keep to snorts and sniggers, so as not to wake the snoring missus beside me. The preparation of the birds and animals, the smell of the blood and poop on his hands being an effective contraceptive 😂 and some of the dog training parts, wrung so true to me. I picture the buildings he describes, the land and tree's, the outbuildings full of piled up furniture, it's so expressive, a feast for the mind that does not need a screen, just your own imagination. I can't wait to read more. Thanks so much moondoggy 😀

2 hours ago, getthegat said:

I'm only a little way into this book, but already loving it. My sleep pattern is rubbish, often I'm awake at silly o'clock and rather than start worrying about work, now I can pick up this book. This morning I was struggling with not laughing out loud, but managed to keep to snorts and sniggers, so as not to wake the snoring missus beside me. The preparation of the birds and animals, the smell of the blood and poop on his hands being an effective contraceptive 😂 and some of the dog training parts, wrung so true to me. I picture the buildings he describes, the land and tree's, the outbuildings full of piled up furniture, it's so expressive, a feast for the mind that does not need a screen, just your own imagination. I can't wait to read more. Thanks so much moondoggy 😀

So pleased you are enjoying it.

It is one of my favourite books. I think it is the fact that he has had the guts to do what so many of us would love to do, but don’t have the time, means or balls to have a go. Also, he has the skill to put his experiences into words in a wonderfully descriptive way, and injects humour and a little sadness (there was one part where I had a tear or two).

I have toyed with buying some of his other country based books, just need to get rid of some of my old books first.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 05:52, getthegat said:

very off topic, sleep patterns!!

There was an article about nigella Lawson ( yum) in the paper yesterday, apparently we used to sleep for around 4hrs get up do stuff then have more sleep but the industrial revolution changed this, it was saying that this is how she sleeps.

1 minute ago, Mice! said:

very off topic, sleep patterns!!

There was an article about nigella Lawson ( yum) in the paper yesterday, apparently we used to sleep for around 4hrs get up do stuff then have more sleep but the industrial revolution changed this, it was saying that this is how she sleeps.

I think I could do Nigella Lawson, sleep for 4 hours and possibly do it again 😂😂😂