Advice on rifle accuracy.

muncher

Hi all, my 17 recently required new has gone off the mark,so I cleaned it throughout went out to check zero shooting low at 50 yards. So I corrected that nice group of 3 ,went to 100 yard low again, so minor adjustment. Next six shots all over the place. I have come home and think it's one of 3 things 1 me.2 scope. 3 rifle, any advice would be appreciated.

Which .17 are we talking about ?

Plus what make and weight of ammunition are you using, and have you got more than one type of ammunition to tryout?

My .17 hmr has no issues with whatever 17gr l put through it, just a small adjustment for 20gr.

Other than that it's zeroed at 125 mt's and is quiet an amazing little round.

44 minutes ago, moor man said:

First off check scope mounting screws, stock screws, no crud between stock and barrel, clean + dry barrel, tighten mod +check.

Shoot again off bench rest or bags and  if still not grouping get someone else to repeat your test. Good luck.

Will do , cheers

I am currently having a Daystate FAC .25 shroud shortened, the first attempt resulted in tight groups at 10 yards (can't blame the gunsmith in assuming all was well) but shocking flyers at 30 yds.

I have no direct experience of .17 but just saying it IS possible to have odd groupings at different ranges at least with air guns, the culprit is most defo the silencer not being correctly lined up in my case. 

Edited by Hamster

10 hours ago, ditchman said:

getting 3 shots off on target ...then all over the place ...smacks of the barrell warming up as the shots are snapped off too quick..........try letting the barrell cool for 15mins after 3rd shot.........

Who knows if its heat or what, but as said, 3 all on target, then all over the place is strange.

First thought was not properly cleaned, fouling raised and accuracy to pot, but if the above is correct that sounds unlikely!

:hmm:

Gunshop has lent me another scope to try ,I've scubbed it again and checked all fittings . I will try first with the mid off ,then change the scope,and after that Me.Gunshop also said bring it back and they will check it out . cheers for the input.ps I only had nine shots , 3 at a time and checked the grouping so heat shouldn't have been to much of an issue at 3 degree air temp.

9 minutes ago, Whitester said:

I wouldn't clean my hmr barrel again until it went wildly off. Cleaning the barrel on my t bolt sporter seriously screws the accuracy.

Same here with my Anschutz, and its a few plinking shots after cleaning before it settles back to good groups

1 hour ago, Whitester said:

I wouldn't clean my hmr barrel again until it went wildly off. Cleaning the barrel on my t bolt sporter seriously screws the accuracy.

Same for me, shop advice was to only clean when accuracy screwed, and to never clean 22LR (mind you they sell new guns ...)

1 hour ago, Whitester said:

1 hour ago, hambone said:

Same here with my Anschutz, and its a few plinking shots after cleaning before it settles back to good groups

I know I say this all the time but cleaning does not mess up the accuracy if you do it properly.

To many people do a quick job, raise fouling and then complain afterwards.  Cleaning a rifle, especially a HMR, is not a 5 minute job, it takes time to do it properly and when you have finished it will take 1, or 2 shots at the very most to clear out any remnant's of cleaner/oil from the barrel and it will work.

Mine always works after a clean, as do all my rifles.   A pal moaned all the time his took loads of shots to get back sweet after a clean, eventually I said to him, ok clean it, then give it to me.

This was the result of my cleaning after he had finished, the gun worked fine after I finished and he now cleans it properly!

HMRPatches1a.JPG.01713b2ecdb227c666ba2049dbc13445.JPG

Top right to left, bottom left to right! Scrub between each patch!  :good:

Edited by Dekers

To test the accuracy or consistency of any ammo you need to have the gun supported on a bipod and bags . You need to take out the influence of the pilot . The shooter is the biggest anomaly with accuracy .Have you tried fully supporting the rifle when zeroing .incidently a squeaky clean barrel is not always the way to go . If the barrel is very clean then a few fouling shots first .

harnser 

Edited by Harnser