All the gear .. No idea

Until recently my best mate did all my reloading for me (.270 win) and knew what he was doing. Unfortunately he is no longer with us and I have been given the press and dies. Along with those I have a powder trickler, scales, and of course, heads, primers, powder, and 'empties'.

I understand the procedure of reloading (hardly rocket science) but have never done so. What I don't want to do is screw up or make life harder than it needs to be for the want of some knowledge.

So .... is there anyone in my area (Northampton/Milton Keynes-ish) who loads rifle ammo who would be willing to share know-how, and teach a ham-fisted newb to the game how to do the job properly and safely ?

I know it's all available in manuals and on-line videos, but there's no better way than learning one-on-one from someone with experience.  Thanks.

As you say, not rocket science BUT requires care and undivided attention to detail for the best results. 

Case preparation.  First thoroughly clean inside and out and a tumbler is useful for this. Second after resizing check each case for any faults, even the slightest sign of a cracked neck for instance, discard.  Priming is a simple operation, so no snags there. Once primed then consult loading manuals or any notes left by your late friend for a suitable load for your needs.

If your friend did not leave a note of the load he used for you, then check the manual and start your initial load/powder weight 10% down on the maximum shown ..... very often I have found this might give the best accuracy and the deer will not notice the difference.  NOW, things get interesting and can become very technical.  Take an unprimed case and insert a bullet but not fully in. Then I mark up the bullet with black Sharpie and carefully slide it in the chamber and close the bolt. Eject the cartridge and chek for rifle markings on the bullet. If there then press the bullet in slightly further and re balck and check again until there are no rifle markings. Now you can by a 'tool' to check headspace but over the last 40 odd years this 'Sharpie' system has provided me with reloads which have adequately laid a fair few large animals and varmints on the deck.   Make a note of the settings on your loader/bullet seater to set the bullet at this point every time.   Ok, carefully weigh each load, pour and seat the bullet, job done.  I suggest ...if your friend didn't leave details ...you load half a dozen and then carefully go and check fall of shot to see what gtroups you are getting ... then adjust the powder load a touch for another half dozen to see if the group improves.

Pity I am 60 miles away or I would be glad to take you through it.   I always try to do my loading when the house is empty and there are no distractions. Less chance of making a mistake.

I'm sure a number of others will come along with variations.

on edit......  Don't forget to put a light smear of resizing lubricant on your cases prior to putting them through the die.   I have a piece of board with a layer of green beize pinned on and apply the lubricant to this, then roll the cases on it, making sure not to get any on the necks or shoulder as that would result in pressure indentations in the shoulder.  You only need a small amount, don't overdo it.  No lube means a stuck case which is a pain to sort.

Edited by Walker570

If you got your mates ammo log it would be worth more to you that the gear.  Hope you find some one to help you out, its not hard to do but having someone that knows what they are doing running you through it is a help if only to get you in to a system. The main thing is that you don't want any distractions that's when things can go wrong!

When I started reloading for my 243 I had someone run me through it and suggested a powder to start with that I could not double load with as even with the lightest load it filled the case over half full, so if you can find a powder that does that for your 270 I would use that at least until you get in to the swing of it.