Leather Boots

WelshAndy

Dont be too tempted by the free socks, for that price i would look at a more reputable make. 

If it were my money I would go Scarpa, other folk may go Brasher, Mendel,Merel all are very well known boots. Look at stitching when buying boots it's not all about the label saying "waterproof" it's no good if they fall apart. 

Saying that I've just bought a pair of Harkila Boa, so I've drifted away from Scarpa for the 1st time in over 30 years, if they last 10 years like the Scarpa's have I hadn't made a mistake, we'll see. 

GriSport are SUPPOSED to be very good - I've not read a bad review yet. I'm interested in their Oak or Keeper boots. Zamberlan another very good Italian name (owned a pair of their hiking 'trainer' boots for 12 years now).

I'm currently wearing these for my work:

http://www.highlander-outdoor.com/shop/military-products/footwear-accessories/boots/elite-boots

Had them a year. Brilliant boots so far

Nothing wrong with Grisport footwear, I have shoes and boots. Shoes are 5 years old and going strong, boots are nearer 10 years and still very waterproof. I just keep them clean and weatherproofed. Walkers have been using them for years.  (and I have not seen a soggy crisp  !) 

Edited by Westley

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, guinty1 said:

Mmmm...I have experience of these, and from J. Norris. First pair leaked through the heel so took them back and they were replaced for another pair, which did the same. I paid the extra and bought Le Chameau.

25 minutes ago, guinty1 said:

I and many have found to our cost these are pretty rubbish,and let in water from day one.

Did speak to someone at Scone selling Harkila who admitted that they had problems with them but have upped their quality and i would hope so.The only bit of Harkila ive ever bought that hasnt been fit for purpose.

for 150 buy boots that are designed to last years and years, waterproof, comfortable and probably used by people that would put them through more rigorous use than shooters.

Look at some of the top brand walking boots.

Scarpa

Meindl

Merrel

Lowa

Look for as little stitching as possible on the boot, 1 piece leather is far less likely to have water egress or the stitching split. 

On 07/10/2018 at 12:57, Scully said:

Meindle for me from now on I think, but Harkila are supposed to have cured the problem with leaking heels so I’m led to believe. If so, we’ll worth a look.

Whatever you decide, I’d advise against Le Chamaeu. 

This was posted on  a stalking page on FB from a mate from down south in the last hour.Also pretty sure my bro had his 2 last pairs leak and has now went elsewhere.

Edit to say,he also showed the complaints form that came back from Meindle,blaming pressure from his toe causing a hole in the boot which has allowed water to come in,in 4 months.

Dismal Meindl customer service and quality.

I’ve worn Meindl boots since around 2006, I’ve recommended them to friends many times and they’ve been great boots, up until the last 2 pairs.

I usually get through a pair in 18 months, I wear them everyday almost without fail for a minimum of 8 hours so they don’t have an easy life.

Anyway, the last 2 pairs began leaking within 4 months of purchase. These are the standard Dovres.

The pain starts when you first raise the issue, you have to send the leaking pair back, but, you have to buy a new pair as they won’t offer a replacement until they have researched for themselves where they are leaking.

So I bought a new pair when I’d sent some for assessment, the first pair were found to be leaking so I was reimbursed the value.
However, within 4 months the new pair were leaking too, and this was just from walking in wet grass.

The attached letter was returned to me this week, now the final straw for me was that I had returned them with the right hand boot leaking. Seems they must both be leaking!!!!

They are not supplying me with new boots.

So I will most certainly not be buying anymore Meindls. May I suggest you don’t either.

I’m off to buy a pair of Diottos next, see how they go.

Edited by sako751sg