Leather Boots

WelshAndy

I’m on my first pair of Meindl and so far so good. I plugged for Le Chameau after returning two pairs of Harkila boots as the Le Chameau now had a rubber piece over the front covering the part which used to crack. Needless to say the rubber is now starting to crack after a season or two. So that’s both Le Chameau and Harkila off my shopping list. The only boots not to have let me down are the Meindl ( so far ) Gronel and Matterhorn. I was also assured by a very nice lady at Lowther Show that Harkila had solved their leaky boot issue, and haven’t heard any complaints since. She did tell me how and why Norris’ manage to sell boots so cheap, but I can’t for the life of me remember what she said now.

Anyhow, keep the receipt. 😀

Altberg 

made in Britain (that’s a positive)

made orginally for the British infantryman if that’s not a hard live for a boot I don’t know what is.  

Ive been wearing them for 20 years now.  One pair has lasted me 15 years including going on sunny holidays to Iraq and Afghanistan. They will resolve them for around £50 which is worth it on a decent boot.  They will look after you as a customer if ever needed.  

I`ve been using my Lowa mountain gtx for about 5years now, best boot i`ve ever had. cleaned regularly and always treated with Nikwax. They still look like new, and i`ve never had a drop of water get in, or ever felt the cold in them. I think the key thing with any leather boots is to keep them treated with a good waterproofer. If we`re paying  100 to 200 quid for boots, the fiver for some decent wax is well worth it I reckon.

Scully take a trip along the A66 to Richmond and visit the factory shop. Well worth a visit as they have all the boots in stock.Along with others.

I have Altberg Mallerstang boots for years, very good boots but don't think I'll every truely break them in.

Few lads I know are all wearing Diotto boots and sing there praises. Was some bad reviews couple years ago but lots of keepers are wearing them all year round.

Edited by figgy

6 hours ago, figgy said:

Scully take a trip along the A66 to Richmond and visit the factory shop. Well worth a visit as they have all the boots in stock.Along with others.

I have Altberg Mallerstang boots for years, very good boots but don't think I'll every truely break them in.

Few lads I know are all wearing Diotto boots and sing there praises. Was some bad reviews couple years ago but lots of keepers are wearing them all year round.

May well do this. I didn’t know this nor that they were British made ( I’m wondering if I’ve mistaken these for another make ) and of course there is Gilsan Guns in Richmond. 👍🙂 Cheers figgy. 

55 minutes ago, dorianbuilders said:

Altbergs are British.👍

Thanks, didn’t know. 

Breaking in another pair of the Alt Berg Tethera. 

My old Tetheras are 7 or 8 years old, re-soled 3 times and only now are failing beyond a repair. These have taken a lot of abuse over the years. I had no hesitation in buying another pair. 

The service I've had when they've gone back for a re-sole has been fantastic, even spoke to the guy who was working on them advise me they needed a new rand and could he go ahead. They always come back like new.

On 04/12/2018 at 11:51, Timerider said:

I`ve been using my Lowa mountain gtx for about 5years now, best boot i`ve ever had. cleaned regularly and always treated with Nikwax. They still look like new, and i`ve never had a drop of water get in, or ever felt the cold in them. I think the key thing with any leather boots is to keep them treated with a good waterproofer. If we`re paying  100 to 200 quid for boots, the fiver for some decent wax is well worth it I reckon.

Like wise! I have an old pair that have given great service,been resoled once by Altberg ,now used as knockabouts but probs 12yo!!!

1 hour ago, clumber said:

Breaking in another pair of the Alt Berg Tethera. 

My old Tetheras are 7 or 8 years old, re-soled 3 times and only now are failing beyond a repair. These have taken a lot of abuse over the years. I had no hesitation in buying another pair. 

The service I've had when they've gone back for a re-sole has been fantastic, even spoke to the guy who was working on them advise me they needed a new rand and could he go ahead. They always come back like new.

Tethera is a very old Westmorland word meaning ‘three’, as in Yan, tan, teretha...one two three. I had no idea they were British and it’s nice to know. As figgy suggests, I may kill two birds with one stone and have a drive over Stainmore to Richmond; it’s only an hour away. 👍

42 minutes ago, Scully said:

Tethera is a very old Westmorland word meaning ‘three’, as in Yan, tan, teretha...one two three. I had no idea they were British and it’s nice to know. As figgy suggests, I may kill two birds with one stone and have a drive over Stainmore to Richmond; it’s only an hour away. 👍

Well worth they will bespoke make your boots if you like used to be a 10min walk for me now 4 hours but still worth it.  

23 hours ago, Scully said:

May well do this. I didn’t know this nor that they were British made ( I’m wondering if I’ve mistaken these for another make ) and of course there is Gilsan Guns in Richmond. 👍🙂 Cheers figgy. 

Thanks, didn’t know. 

No worries

i have some of the military type and was looking at the hiking boots.

They had a curved sole that felt quite good like it would propel you along, bit like the sprung fell boots.👍

On 05/12/2018 at 22:37, dorianbuilders said:

No worries

i have some of the military type and was looking at the hiking boots.

They had a curved sole that felt quite good like it would propel you along, bit like the sprung fell boots.👍

Sat next to another beater in the trailer today whom had on a pair of Le Chameau with the rubber cover over the instep like mine. He said he wouldn’t be buying any more. I had to agree with him as mine started leaking through at the toe last weekend, so was wearing Meindl. Sat opposite us was a bloke with Altbergs on...nice looking boot. He told me he got them made to measure five years ago and they’d never let him down. I haven’t given up on the Meindl as some mates have had the same pair for years, so we’ll see how it goes.

1 hour ago, Scully said:

Sat next to another beater in the trailer today whom had on a pair of Le Chameau with the rubber cover over the instep like mine. He said he wouldn’t be buying any more. I had to agree with him as mine started leaking through at the toe last weekend, so was wearing Meindl. Sat opposite us was a bloke with Altbergs on...nice looking boot. He told me he got them made to measure five years ago and they’d never let him down. I haven’t given up on the Meindl as some mates have had the same pair for years, so we’ll see how it goes.

Just ordered a pair of theses from Uttings £250   

hqdefault.jpg?sqp=-oaymwEjCNACELwBSFryq4

Look excellent boots.