Idiot with German shepherd

michufc

Hi all I am lucky enough that my 7 year old loves nothing more than coming out spending some quality time with me and our ess puppy with the gun. Now I have been shooting this farm for over 10 years now so we had a mouch about and had some shots over the dog which she did fantastic so we were very chuffed. 

So we thought we would stand in the woods like normal and we had a couple of shots and then I could hear some dogs barking and I look across and it’s the neighbor to the farm he then looks at me and my son and let’s his dogs off and started shouting at me and my son. Now the dogs are now barking and snarling and running at full speed towards me and my son who is now crying so I raised my gun and shouted stop your dog or I will open fire. At this point he stopped being cleaver and put his dogs on the lead and continue to have a go about me shooting. This has really upset my little boy who just wanted to go shooting with me his dad 

Edited by michufc

27 minutes ago, Scully said:

Really? He stopped his dogs in full pelt towards you, as easy as that? Dog singular or dogs plural? 

Weirdly, I managed to stop someone else’s GS running flat out me and my little cocker 2 weeks ago, not sure who was most surprised..  Didn’t have anything but sheer luck..

Edited by PPP

Scully I can assure you that there were two dogs and the fear in my little boys face is something I will not forget for a very long time. If I am ever unlucky enough to have this situation again I will be sure to shoot both dogs and take a photo for you so we can be clear. 

As I explained to my son whilst sobbing that it wasn’t the dogs fault that they were just trying to protect there owner which I am sure really helped him understand why that had just happened NOT

I have had four large GSDs and three very large Akitas - none of which would run after people to "protect their owner". Is the OP saying that the owner set his dogs on him and his son, or that the dogs automatically attack any person other than the owner?

It needs reporting to the Police before someone gets killed.

1 minute ago, Scully said:

Fair enough. Everyday’s a school day. 

That day was also a washing day!!  

I genuinely was amazed, it was a ‘here goes nothing’ moment and having grown up with GS I was amazed as it’s not a brilliantly trained dog...

Edited by PPP

27 minutes ago, michufc said:

Scully I can assure you that there were two dogs and the fear in my little boys face is something I will not forget for a very long time. If I am ever unlucky enough to have this situation again I will be sure to shoot both dogs and take a photo for you so we can be clear. 

As I explained to my son whilst sobbing that it wasn’t the dogs fault that they were just trying to protect there owner which I am sure really helped him understand why that had just happened NOT

Ok, though I fail to see why the police would use them if a shout from a stranger can stop them. I’m glad you and your son are ok; you need to report them however. 

I am going back to the farm tomorrow to speak with the farmer and explain what has happened as I don’t want to cause any problems between them and take it from there

31 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I have had four large GSDs and three very large Akitas - none of which would run after people to "protect their owner". Is the OP saying that the owner set his dogs on him and his son, or that the dogs automatically attack any person other than the owner?

It needs reporting to the Police before someone gets killed.

Like I say he saw us and let his dogs off so  for what ever reason he did that for they certainly didn’t give us the impression they wanted to play. My boy said to me on the way home he doesn’t want to go shooting there again how sad is that as it’s the next generation we need in the sport 

Sounds like an idiot who doesn't like shooting, was he on a footpath or just wandering about? Regardless of what the farmer says this bloke needs reporting to the police, and I'm amazed you didn't shoot at the dogs if they were running at you and your lad, at least a warning shot.

does hi have permission to walk the field with his dogs? even if he does i would report it to the police, this might stop him from challenging you again, and you and your son could carry on shooting there.this would also show your son that bullies don"t win.atb

IF this person deliberately set the dogs on you both, then it is an assault and it needs reporting. It would seem that it was only good fortune that prevented shot dogs or personal injury, although I doubt I would want my young son to witness dogs being shot. Speak with the Farmer, get his opinion of the incident, if you then feel that he is on your side, report the incident to the Police. If this person has entered onto private land with the intention of assaulting you, either personally or through the dogs, it needs sorting. Of course if the Farmer does not want to 'rock the boat' you may be better leaving things or 'Let sleeping dogs lay' so to speak  !