20g Reloading Non Toxic

Hi All,

I shoot a number of flight ponds and would like to use my 20g, I also quite fancy trying some home loading, so as you can mostly only get 25g steel shot for a 20g I thought I would load my own.. and thats where the problem starts.. (I have tinkered with the idea for a number of years...)

After watching many videos on how loaders work and so on they still seem to be loading relatively light cartridges .. I also saw a video of a guy on you tube who had reloaded 35g BB Bismuth and they looked as if they done the job.. 

So

First question - What Press to buy?  ( I may also try reloading 16g in the future if I can manage the 20g)

Second question - Do any of you loading guru's ever load nontoxic 20g for duck if so what kind of loads and components do you use?

All the best 

Terry

Edited by Terry2016

Guest cookoff013

nb,

you have probably picked the two most profitable gauge to reload. 

as a quality nontoxic shot. itx 10 is expensive, and probably is the best mid range.

Mecs are very popular presses. They are reasonably cheap and you they come up for sale quite frequently. They should do all you need as a beginner.

Steel would most likely be the best and cheapest route for cartridges to use on a flight pond. A 24gm load of 3/4/5 would do nicely. Components are readily available and, as I said earlier, pretty cheap.

5 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

nb,

you have probably picked the two most profitable gauge to reload. 

as a quality nontoxic shot. itx 10 is expensive, and probably is the best mid range.

Thank you, I am hoping someone can share some information on the loads they have used :-) More about a good cartridge than the price although that helps..

13 minutes ago, motty said:

Mecs are very popular presses. They are reasonably cheap and you they come up for sale quite frequently. They should do all you need as a beginner.

Steel would most likely be the best and cheapest route for cartridges to use on a flight pond. A 24gm load of 3/4/5 would do nicely. Components are readily available and, as I said earlier, pretty cheap.

Cheers Motty, 

I was thinking of a 30g load rather than a 24g as I can purchase 24g off the shelf and I am not really trying to save money as such I just want a good Load with enough punch for some reasonable range duck.. also what shot size?  I like 36G 3 shot for duck in a 12g .. 

I was thinking a 30g bismuth cartridge and if possible with a fibre wad? i do not know if possible but on some of my land it has to be fibre.. 

Any advice s greatly appreciated as i have never shot a 20g at duck or reloaded ..

Atb 

Terry

Someone with more knowledge than I will confirm this, but I don't think you will get much more than 24gm in a 2 3/4" 20 case. Obviously you will get slightly more in a 3" case, but probably not too much. Anyway, a 24gm steel shell is not all that small, and will still kill ducks and geese at good ranges.

35 minutes ago, Terry2016 said:

Thank you, I am hoping someone can share some information on the loads they have used 🙂 More about a good cartridge than the price although that helps..

Cheers Motty, 

I was thinking of a 30g load rather than a 24g as I can purchase 24g off the shelf and I am not really trying to save money as such I just want a good Load with enough punch for some reasonable range duck.. also what shot size?  I like 36G 3 shot for duck in a 12g .. 

I was thinking a 30g bismuth cartridge and if possible with a fibre wad? i do not know if possible but on some of my land it has to be fibre.. 

Any advice s greatly appreciated as i have never shot a 20g at duck or reloaded ..

Atb 

Terry

I've shot a 20ga for more years than i care to mention.

Steel shot will do everything thing you want to do personally i would not dirty my barrels with Bismuth. 

Homeloads 2-3/4" case 7/8oz steel 3-4 . I've yet to pick up a 12ga this choosing instead to use my 20ga and steel shot.

Don't get led to believe you need big payloads with Big shot i won't put the exact number of Geese an Duck I've already but it's a good few all shot with steel 20ga 3's mainly 7/8oz but a few with a 1oz load I'm testing.

Let me know if you need any data which is published BUT I've only chronographed patterned and test on Geese and Duck

Guest cookoff013

i`ll probably get flamed for this,

but i switched a (12g) lead load and loaded the same volume of bismuth. i had them pressure tested, the bismuth came in at lower pressure (36g lead vs 32g bismuth shot / its the same volume)

this is not "do this" statement. but it is an option to test and persue.

first youd need to find a fibre lead reload recipe thats ~32g lead recipe converts to a 28gram bismuth recipe, for a 30 gram bismuth reload you`d need a 34g lead fibre recipe to convert.

now i am saying if you were to try this method out, i`d test reloads at a reputable laboratory before firing them in a sporting firearm.

Guest cookoff013
36 minutes ago, figgy said:

Why not try some ready made steel shot carts over your flight ponds in 20 Bore and see what you think before buying all the kit.

he wanted fibre.

12 hours ago, 6.5x55SE said:

I've shot a 20ga for more years than i care to mention.

Steel shot will do everything thing you want to do personally i would not dirty my barrels with Bismuth. 

Homeloads 2-3/4" case 7/8oz steel 3-4 . I've yet to pick up a 12ga this choosing instead to use my 20ga and steel shot.

Don't get led to believe you need big payloads with Big shot i won't put the exact number of Geese an Duck I've already but it's a good few all shot with steel 20ga 3's mainly 7/8oz but a few with a 1oz load I'm testing.

Let me know if you need any data which is published BUT I've only chronographed patterned and test on Geese and Duck

Thank you, i thought bismuth was more dense hence getting a heavier load in a smaller cartridge ? (although I do not know anything about reloading so maybe wrong) i see a video and the guy said he was using 35g BB I assume 3" case but he did say bismuth? 

I have no problem with steel but what about steel and fibre wads?

1 hour ago, figgy said:

Why not try some ready made steel shot carts over your flight ponds in 20 Bore and see what you think before buying all the kit.

Figgy, I really need fibre wads (Live stock and Lucerne) in the adjacent fields and I am not keen on 24g for duck just seems little light to me.. i understand it can be done its all about shot placement.. but i also know you have to be confident in your equipment and i just wouldn't be.. 

2 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

i`ll probably get flamed for this,

but i switched a (12g) lead load and loaded the same volume of bismuth. i had them pressure tested, the bismuth came in at lower pressure (36g lead vs 32g bismuth shot / its the same volume)

this is not "do this" statement. but it is an option to test and persue.

first youd need to find a fibre lead reload recipe thats ~32g lead recipe converts to a 28gram bismuth recipe, for a 30 gram bismuth reload you`d need a 34g lead fibre recipe to convert.

now i am saying if you were to try this method out, i`d test reloads at a reputable laboratory before firing them in a sporting firearm.

Cheers cookoff013, to be honest that may be a bit too far as I have never reloaded yet complete newbie and converting from lead to bismuth and testing laboratories is probably a bit much lol however maybe in the future.... 

13 hours ago, motty said:

Someone with more knowledge than I will confirm this, but I don't think you will get much more than 24gm in a 2 3/4" 20 case. Obviously you will get slightly more in a 3" case, but probably not too much. Anyway, a 24gm steel shell is not all that small, and will still kill ducks and geese at good ranges.

Thanks Motty, I have seen a video of a guy who stated he was using 35 gram BB bismuth in a 20g ? now i don't know if its because its bbs he can get the extra weight ? 

Can you get fibre shot cups for steel home loading?

If you need fiber shot cups I would stick to a 12 bore and forget the twenty. The cup alone will reduce the volume of shot and your wanting as much as you can get in your pay load. 

Stick with steel if worried about crops it can be picked up on scanners when processed or rust away before then dependant on time and shot size. 

1 hour ago, Terry2016 said:

Thanks Motty, I have seen a video of a guy who stated he was using 35 gram BB bismuth in a 20g ? now i don't know if its because its bbs he can get the extra weight ? 

Can you get fibre shot cups for steel home loading?

Fibre shot cups are available for some gauges, but not sure about the 20.

For me, bismuth is a bit too expensive to use on a few flight pond ducks.

24gm steel is approximately equivalent to a 36gm lead load volumetrically, so isn't a small load.

57 minutes ago, motty said:

Fibre shot cups are available for some gauges, but not sure about the 20.

For me, bismuth is a bit too expensive to use on a few flight pond ducks.

24gm steel is approximately equivalent to a 36gm lead load volumetrically, so isn't a small load.

Thanks Motty, 

I need fibre wads and to my little knowledge you can't have steel without a shot cup ? (true or false)?

. I was unaware of the volume of steel was so much as that .. very interesting .. 

given my little experience with non-toxic, I found myself in agreement with most statements so far ... but that's me being confuded LOL

I only reload 20 bore, and recently started non-toxic. I do my non toxic load by hand, weighing each load and it's a good passtime; buying a press, unsless you're buying a steelmaster, will cause problems (to my knowledge) and you might find that 24g off the shelf do a decent job after all.

I personally tested some load in ITX-10 from 25g (70mm hull) to 30g (76mm hull) and found them effective; however, I also came to the conclusion that payload... doesn't always pay (sorry for the pun).  Reason I used ITX-10 is that it can be used with regular lead components; you can also load volume based using known lead loads (although I'd advise to reduce it slightly to increase speed).

The only advise I want to give you is to buy a decent powder and stick with it.  A-Steel or Lil Gun would be the best for 20 bore allowing for a 1oz load on 3'' shells.  Loads can be found online on american website or i can provide some form the BPI maual if you need to.

I've not loaded bismuth as this is next on the card

cheers, 

18 hours ago, cookoff013 said:

yeah, its true that

So I cannot load steel as far as I can see I cannot get 20g Shot cups...

it will have to be bismuth... 

Thank you

14 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

given my little experience with non-toxic, I found myself in agreement with most statements so far ... but that's me being confuded LOL

I only reload 20 bore, and recently started non-toxic. I do my non toxic load by hand, weighing each load and it's a good passtime; buying a press, unsless you're buying a steelmaster, will cause problems (to my knowledge) and you might find that 24g off the shelf do a decent job after all.

I personally tested some load in ITX-10 from 25g (70mm hull) to 30g (76mm hull) and found them effective; however, I also came to the conclusion that payload... doesn't always pay (sorry for the pun).  Reason I used ITX-10 is that it can be used with regular lead components; you can also load volume based using known lead loads (although I'd advise to reduce it slightly to increase speed).

The only advise I want to give you is to buy a decent powder and stick with it.  A-Steel or Lil Gun would be the best for 20 bore allowing for a 1oz load on 3'' shells.  Loads can be found online on american website or i can provide some form the BPI maual if you need to.

I've not loaded bismuth as this is next on the card

cheers, 

Thank You .. noted..

On 10/10/2018 at 11:01, cookoff013 said:

as soon as nontox and fibre are mentioned, its really tight specs. not many components.

That seems to be exactly what i am learning :good:thanks again

On 10/10/2018 at 11:28, figgy said:

Could just use some Gamebore Silver Steel Fiber shot cup cartridges in 12 bore until you source the components to load 20 in bismuth.

Thanks Figgy, this is what I currently do however wanted to try the 20..