Police chief. ?

ordnance

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was making the point that his standing within the ranks is not of ‘Officer’ anymore- am more than aware of the structure within the Police thanks - but always nice to have someone do a bit of googling for me ( pretty pics too).

It does appear he was close to the incident but still within a vehicle which even with his observations could still be some way away— not trying to defend his actions but more I’m slightly bemused by some of the comments made

As a serving member of the met and the holder of a warrant card he most certainly is a police officer the same as from PC to commissioner , just because his title is different does not give him anymore or any less power of arrest than any other serving policeman or woman.

And if you are that close you can give the description he gave , then you are close enough to take action.
He has lost all respect throughout the police service.

Lions led by donkeys springs to mind.

Having done some more reading and studying the diagram - charting the movements / events, I am even more appalled that he left. No thought of sounding the horn - even if to momentarily startle the killer, no attempt to run him over, knock him off his feet, open a window and shout. He was in his shirt sleeves - no radio (presumably no phone either), two traumatised colleagues to think about.

No - a PC said he ought to leave and he readily accepted the advice. Pedal to the metal - safety beckons.

Whilst those who are in the Police or retired will have a better grip of the situation, I have seen very little support for his actions - most Police seem to think it was dereliction of duty.

I think we're all missing the point.

A man runs amok with a vehicle and knives, and those tasked to protect us in those situations don't even have the capability to protect themselves. An unarmed copper is stabbed to death and his superior officer, equally unarmed, locks himself in a vehicle to protect himself despite being responsible for the protection of the general public. Why oh why, in this day and age, and faced with the type of terrorism we currently face, aren't our police officers armed as a matter of course? All those people who died in this incidence and others like it, had no choice but to become victims. Why?  

I can't articulate the depth of disgust I feel for our politicians and senior police officers. We must be the laughing stock of the world. 

13 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I hope all you utter heroes are joining up tomorrow. 

I for one will sleep more soundly knowing that the Pigeon Watch macho man brigade will be on the streets protecting the innocent.

None of us are the acting head of the MET, responsible for the officers under our command. 

Edited by ordnance

9 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

I for one will sleep more soundly knowing that the Pigeon Watch macho man brigade will be on the streets protecting the innocent.

Already done my service and left with my war pension for injuries received.

And you? 

Email the word "COWARD" to craig.mackey2@met.police.uk - or lets post him a white feather - when I think of the young men who were punished due to LMF during the last war this yellow SOAB needs publically humiliating. As for your remarks ClemFandango I would put money on the fact that even you would have reacted to protect this officer. 

Edited by bruno22rf

17 minutes ago, Scully said:

I think we're all missing the point.

A man runs amok with a vehicle and knives, and those tasked to protect us in those situations don't even have the capability to protect themselves. An unarmed copper is stabbed to death and his superior officer, equally unarmed, locks himself in a vehicle to protect himself despite being responsible for the protection of the general public. Why oh why, in this day and age, and faced with the type of terrorism we currently face, aren't our police officers armed as a matter of course? All those people who died in this incidence and others like it, had no choice but to become victims. Why?  

I can't articulate the depth of disgust I feel for our politicians and senior police officers. We must be the laughing stock of the world. 

Even if all officers were not armed, why would a officer at a obvious target not be armed, looks like incompetence to me. 

Edited by ordnance

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

Doubt a Commissioner on other business would routinely carry an ASP

That's what I was thinking, but would the other officer have had one?

I've not seen any footage of the events and don't know if any exists: What I'm getting at is, could it be the apparently unarmed officer was in fact better armed and equipped than the commissioner and somehow signalled his boss away?

1 minute ago, ordnance said:

Even if all officers were not armed, why would a officer at a obvious target not be armed, looks like incompetence to me. 

I understand your point, but it's not incompetence if it's policy. Negligence on the part of politicians and policy makers perhaps, but not incompetence. 

The fact remains that the police force are there to uphold the law and for the protection of the general public. They may be capable of the former, but blatantly obvious not the latter. It's past the time when a change is due. 

1 minute ago, Dave-G said:

That's what I was thinking, but would the other officer have had one?

I've not seen any footage of the events and don't know if any exists: What I'm getting at is, could it be the apparently unarmed officer was in fact better armed and equipped than the commissioner and somehow signalled his boss away?

At the end of the day the commissioner does not take orders he gives them, if he wanted to stay at the scene that would be his decision no one could order him away. 

1 minute ago, ordnance said:

At the end of the day the commissioner does not take orders he gives them, if he wanted to stay at the scene that would be his decision no one could order him away. 

Have you never deferred to one with a better grasp of the situation even though you outrank them- I certainly have.

On 08/10/2018 at 19:09, ordnance said:

I am not sure what to make of this, he sat and watched one of his officers murdered and did nothing apart from locking himself in his car.  Sensible cowardly or something in between.  ?

This is what you get when you "fast track"  applicants from university, give them very little time pounding a beat, and then promote them! Plus, have you seen the average size of a policeman or woman today?   It,s all down to PC garbage!  This officer should be immediately retired!

2 minutes ago, Scully said:

I understand your point, but it's not incompetence if it's policy. Negligence on the part of politicians and policy makers perhaps, but not incompetence. 

The fact remains that the police force are there to uphold the law and for the protection of the general public. They may be capable of the former, but blatantly obvious not the latter. It's past the time when a change is due. 

It is if the ones making the policy are incompetent. 

1 minute ago, Jaymo said:

Have you never deferred to one with a better grasp of the situation even though you outrank them- I certainly have.

Yes you choose to, like him you did not have to your / his decision. 

30 minutes ago, ClemFandango said:

So you would have turned and run?

1 hour ago, welsh1 said:

He is a police officer, see the rank structure within the Met.he was recruited as a graduate.

As for what he saw, in his own words

The senior officer saw the constable suffer "two determined stab wounds".

He said: "I could see Pc Palmer moving backwards and him going down."

Sir Craig, who retires in December, went on: "The attacker had one of those looks where, if they get you in that look, they would be after you.

"He seemed absolutely focused on getting further down and attacking anyone who was in his way."

A

rank.JPG

Too many bloody chiefs, not enough indians!

2 hours ago, Jaymo said:

That’s as may be and none of us know each other’s backgrounds- but your insinuating that because he is (A) male and (B) in the Police Service that he has the same attitude and ability as a trained Soldier.

As you know, the two are worlds apart.

You are inferring that only ‘ex soldiers’ can make the judgement- see above posting 

You may or may not have seen first hand action- some of you will have served and not been exposed to anything more than exercises.

But still there appears to be this bravado banded about.

Its the one who don’t who quite often are the ones who do.......

Apologies, I worded it badly, I'm not saying only those who have seen action can have an opinion, I simply meant, the way people have responded with such strong views, my opinion is they must have seen action. Bravado has nothing to do with it, when someone comes at you with the intent to take your life it's frightening, whoever you are.

There is still no excuse for that officers actions, he is a stain on the force and a disgrace to the uniform.

10 minutes ago, ordnance said:

It is if the ones making the policy are incompetent. 

That's very true, but I'm pretty sure the policy is a deliberate act formed by a fear of having to admit they have lost the fight. The disgusting part about that line of thought and the one which annoys me the most, is that it isn't they who suffer the consequences. 

24 minutes ago, Scully said:

That's very true, but I'm pretty sure the policy is a deliberate act formed by a fear of having to admit they have lost the fight. The disgusting part about that line of thought and the one which annoys me the most, is that it isn't they who suffer the consequences. 

True he said he did not get involved because he was not equipped too,  but expected the officer murdered to take on a knife attacker ill equipped to do so.  

Edited by ordnance

1 hour ago, Gordon R said:

It is a sad day when anyone who says they would have tried to help a dying policeman is labelled as an "utter hero" or "Pigeon Watch macho man brigade".

On a brighter note, it is good to note that idiocy hasn't entirely deserted Suffolk.

and pompous ***** are still alive and well in Bolton.