Police chief. ?

ordnance

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This topic has got far too emotional and likely to cause a falling out amongst PW ‘friends’.  And as somebody who nowadays avoids confrontation I won’t be commenting on this anymore. Probably explains why I would more than likely legged it if faced with a madman with a large knife! 

On 08/10/2018 at 20:45, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I wonder how he sleeps at night?

Still ploughing through this but probably sleeps very well? It's only people with scruples that suffer from conscience?

What happened to the good old truncheon? Aah, probably classes as an offensive weapon and banned?

On 08/10/2018 at 21:23, Walker570 said:

As a retired 'proper policeman I felt sick when I read this, but in the last 30yrs ..two included some of my service I have seen the decline in what we used to call the Police Service rather than Police Force. One of the first definitions we had to learn at Ryton started with a line about protecting life and property. As said the car is a superb tool when you know how to use it but he had been too busy brown nosing to ever know or care how to.  To be fair to the others in the car they were both civilians one probably his driver.

All began to fall to pieces when they brought in accelerated promotion for graduates more interested in getting their Knighthood than actually doing the job.

I was watching a police programme last night, where it was said that it is an offense to not go to the aid of a police officer.

Sir Craig, who retires in December, went on: "The attacker had one of those looks where, if they get you in that look, they would be after you".

Pathetic! Such excuses just makes my skin crawl.

He may be a sorry specimen of a serving policeman but he should at least own up and tell the truth.

18 hours ago, AVB said:

This topic has got far too emotional and likely to cause a falling out amongst PW ‘friends’.  And as somebody who nowadays avoids confrontation I won’t be commenting on this anymore. Probably explains why I would more than likely legged it if faced with a madman with a large knife! 

It has got far too emotional all across the media as well.

Whilst I completely understand the strength of feeling many have about the guy, the desire to spew vitriol I struggle to understand at times.  It is almost like a competition of who can show the most outrage and indignation as though that somehow confers virtue.

It isn't often that the Police act in this manner - almost unprecedented. Their courage in their daily duties is taken for granted, whereas this incident highlights the other end of the scale.

Hardly a competition - serving members of the Police and former colleagues have made contributions - on forums or in the media - which make those on here seem mild.

3 hours ago, grrclark said:

It has got far too emotional all across the media as well.

Whilst I completely understand the strength of feeling many have about the guy, the desire to spew vitriol I struggle to understand at times.  It is almost like a competition of who can show the most outrage and indignation as though that somehow confers virtue.

Or maybe it's the outrage of the hypocrisy of what he expects his officers to face, while he hides away and watches as one of them is killed making the ultimate sacrifice.

The officer who was murdered should have been armed, and put this low life out of his misery,  has for senior police to lock themselves in there car, while this officer was being attack " Pathetic " they all should be booted out with no fat pension, how could any one sit back and watch that happen beats me, also saw the officer who shot the terrorist explaining on the news, how he tried  first aid on the man involved after he had shot him, " WHY "

Police officers are employed and hold a duty to uphold the law, and protect all UK citizens, including other coppers! He did neither! He failed spectacularly to do his duty or the job he is paid to do, so why should he be allowed to leave voluntarily, with a big fat pension? He should face a disciplinary hearing where he should be made to account for his conduct.......if found guilty of a dereliction of duty, he should face disciplinary sanctions, up to and including dismissal, together with consideration as to whether he is allowed to collect a pension and whether that pension be full or reduced?

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Police officers are employed and hold a duty to uphold the law, and protect all UK citizens, including other coppers! He did neither! He failed spectacularly to do his duty or the job he is paid to do, so why should he be allowed to leave voluntarily, with a big fat pension? He should face a disciplinary hearing where he should be made to account for his conduct.......if found guilty of a dereliction of duty, he should face disciplinary sanctions, up to and including dismissal, together with consideration as to whether he is allowed to collect a pension and whether that pension be full or reduced?

I agree with you 100% but it just not going to happen.

Why should UK tax payers pay a pension to someone who has failed to do the job we pay them to do? If the authorities do so It's a ******* insult to me personally, and all other hard working people in this country! I have worked hard and honestly for what I've got!  I am now a pensioner, but I still pay income tax...........as such I should be entitled to a say on how the government spends that tax!..... I'm not!.....But if I were, I would say he should face an enquiry and be held to account for his conduct!

Edited by panoma1

2 hours ago, panoma1 said:

Why should UK tax payers pay a pension to someone who has failed to do the job we pay them to do? 

Dear heavens, if they applied that rule, 90% of MP's, civil servants and local authority staff would be without a pension!

I agree, though, that in this instance, Mackey ought to suffer some disciplinary action for dereliction of duty.

1 minute ago, amateur said:

Dear heavens, if they applied that rule, 90% of MP's, civil servants and local authority staff would be without a pension!

I agree, though, that in this instance, Mackey ought to suffer some disciplinary action for dereliction of duty.

Exactly! I was referring to all public funded employees, who don' t give value for money, or failed in the job (are incapable of doing) they are paid to do ..............sack em all! Leaches on the public purse!

4 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I’ve got two colleagues with me who are traumatised, so we moved out.’

That's desperate stuff really.What does 'traumatised' (sic) mean here? They were shocked? scared? paralyzed? what? For me, the most damning thing about Mackay isn't that he failed to leap out of the car and tackle the attacker man on man, it's that he was incapable of making  a positive decision (even if it was the wrong one) whilst under pressure. Instead he opted for no decison, because being scared and locking the car doors and driving off isn't a decision of any kind at all. 

As a middle-aged chief constable it's perhaps unreasonable to expect him to fight with his bare hands against a terrorist armed with two knives. But it's certainly not unreasonable to expect him to SHOW SOME INITIATIVE when the proverbial hits the fan. He didn't. He went into mental paralysis and justified it afterwards. In my book that means he's not leadership material and should be sacked.

4 minutes ago, Retsdon said:

I’ve got two colleagues with me who are traumatised, so we moved out.’

That's desperate stuff really.What does 'traumatised' (sic) mean here? They were shocked? scared? paralyzed? what? For me, the most damning thing about Mackay isn't that he failed to leap out of the car and tackle the attacker man on man, it's that he was incapable of making  a positive decision (even if it was the wrong one) whilst under pressure. Instead he opted for no decison, because being scared and locking the car doors and driving off isn't a decision of any kind at all. 

As a middle-aged chief constable it's perhaps unreasonable to expect him to fight with his bare hands against a terrorist armed with two knives. But it's certainly not unreasonable to expect him to SHOW SOME INITIATIVE when the proverbial hits the fan. He didn't. He went into mental paralysis and justified it afterwards. In my book that means he's not leadership material and should be sacked.

I quite agree, unfortunately he is very close to his retirement and big fat pension, so will not be sacked, just allowed to crawl away and go back under the stone he deserves to be under.

Just now, Dave-G said:

I'm more dyslexic than I thought, I've just picked up on the fact that the crud is a knight. I naively thought knights were particularly brave people.

They used to be a few hundred years ago!