Police chief. ?

ordnance

I am not sure what to make of this, he sat and watched one of his officers murdered and did nothing apart from locking himself in his car.  Sensible cowardly or something in between.  ?

The acting head of the Metropolitan Police locked himself in a car as one of his officers was murdered metres away during the Westminster attack, an inquest has heard.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Locked himself in the car with two others. Unbelievable !

He then has the gall to claim he had no protective equipment but went on to organise the response. Presumably after the lunatic had been shot dead. I expect Cresida **** who oversaw the Mendez fiasco will award him a medal for his outstanding response.

I didnt swear, honest. That actually is her name and quite apt I would suggest.

Edited by JJsDad

this is a situation you never know how your going to react untill it happens iv been in some situations working on the door wen there's only four door men and 10 lads kicking of iv seen door men turn the other way I'm sure winston72 will agree with me, all the same it didn't look good locking him self in 

35 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I felt very uncomfortable when that was mentioned at lunchtime on the news. They sat there and watched because it "was a determined attack and they had no specific equipment to deal with the attacker."

It was him and other senior officers that were responsible for the policies, that the police officer was unarmed and unable to defend himself.  I am sure he has lost any respect he had among the rank and file officers. 

Sadly, this isn't a one off. 

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2012/feb/22/man-drowned-lake-firefighters

In the above case, a man drowns in three feet of water because the fire crew who attended wouldn't go in to water over ankle depth because of health and safety concerns. 

A far cry from ocean racers turning into the face of a storm to help stricken opponents.

These are the people who are tasked with protecting the general public, a tad farcical when you consider the fact that most aren't even capable ( and by 'capable'  I mean equipped ) to protect themselves. 

A nutter runs amok with a car, but then after travelling the entire length of Westminster Bridge, killing and maiming several, he then abandons his vehicle and stabs to death an unarmed Police officer while those armed personnel whose job it was to be at that point, were elsewhere, and the attackers spree is finally brought to an end after being shot by a bodyguard who just happened to be there on unrelated business. 

The inquest into the attacks simply brought to startling clarity just how stupidly outdated and pathetically inadequate even our Police service is, to respond to such matters on behalf of the general public and even themselves. 

It was probably technically the correct thing to do,  a bit like the fire crews were pulled out of Croydon during the riots leaving that big furniture shop to burn.  Or ambulance crews being prevented from going in to unsecured areas to attend to victims of shootings or stabbings.

But he has lost face and in any uniformed job respect of your peers and subordinates is everything.

4 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

It was probably technically the correct thing to do,  a bit like the fire crews were pulled out of Croydon during the riots leaving that big furniture shop to burn.  Or ambulance crews being prevented from going in to unsecured areas to attend to victims of shootings or stabbings.

But he has lost face and in any uniformed job respect of your peers and subordinates is everything.

Yeah he will probably be told to retire soon. 

2 minutes ago, The Heron said:

It is very easy to sit at your computer and be judgmental but think about it what would you do honestly.

It's not a case of what we, the public would do. It's a case of what the head of the police who supposedly look after the public should have done.  Any normal person would die of shame.

41 minutes ago, The Heron said:

It is very easy to sit at your computer and be judgmental but think about it what would you do honestly.

I can honestly say I think the vast majority of guys in this country would not do what that coward did, he should resign immediately.

37 minutes ago, walshie said:

It's not a case of what we, the public would do. It's a case of what the head of the police who supposedly look after the public should have done.  Any normal person would die of shame.

Well said 

Edited by blackbird

10 minutes ago, The Heron said:

I would not criticise a civilian for running away or locking themselves in their car, i would phrase their bravery if they tried to do something.  He watched one of his officers being stabbed to death and sat and did nothing, a officer that he and others thought it was fine to have defenceless guarding a obvious high priority target.  So its not about what we would do, but what would we do if we were acting met police chief. If we chose to do nothing then there should be a price to pay. The i went to coordinate the response is nonsense, i am sure there were plenty of other officers could have did that. 

Edited by ordnance

As a retired 'proper policeman I felt sick when I read this, but in the last 30yrs ..two included some of my service I have seen the decline in what we used to call the Police Service rather than Police Force. One of the first definitions we had to learn at Ryton started with a line about protecting life and property. As said the car is a superb tool when you know how to use it but he had been too busy brown nosing to ever know or care how to.  To be fair to the others in the car they were both civilians one probably his driver.

All began to fall to pieces when they brought in accelerated promotion for graduates more interested in getting their Knighthood than actually doing the job.

47 minutes ago, walshie said:

47 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

It is also very easy to sit at your computer and ask "what would you do honestly"

Honestly I would have gone to his aid!

Both very true. Personally I would rather die by a knife than die from the shame of being a coward. 

I have three old knife wounds from my younger days working as a doorman , none of them are in my back.

Edited by mel b3
Clarity