Any thoughts?

Scully

A couple at my OH's place of work have just had a baby. They are unmarried but it is a long term relationship and have recently moved into a new home together. They seem happy, but the father of the baby turned up at work this morning in a bit of a state as his partner has said she wants the baby to have her surname and not his. There is no option to have a double barrelled surname as her surname is already so. 

I could understand it if the father was completely absent, but this isn't the case. What I would like to know is, is this legal? Are there any legal ramifications at all regarding a scenario such as this? I have to admit I've never heard of this before. Any thoughts? 

34 minutes ago, Scully said:

A couple at my OH's place of work have just had a baby. They are unmarried but it is a long term relationship and have recently moved into a new home together. They seem happy, but the father of the baby turned up at work this morning in a bit of a state as his partner has said she wants the baby to have her surname and not his. There is no option to have a double barrelled surname as her surname is already so. 

I could understand it if the father was completely absent, but this isn't the case. What I would like to know is, is this legal? Are there any legal ramifications at all regarding a scenario such as this? I have to admit I've never heard of this before. Any thoughts? 

Well they were but He's probably not now :hmm:

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

The risk of having children when not married, is that the father has no (as in none what so ever) rights in respect of the child. For example in an emergency can't even give medical consent for an emergency operation!

David.

Not true 

An unmarried father who jointly signs the birth register with the mother from 1st December 2003 has Parental Responsibility. This does not apply to children born before the legislation was passed.

1 hour ago, DoolinDalton said:

Should it really matter to him, her, anyone, what the baby's surname is.......just as long as the baby is healthy and loved by both parents!  

Maybe if the bairn is a boy the guy might be an only child and want his name to carry on to the  next generation 

4 hours ago, Scully said:

A couple at my OH's place of work have just had a baby. They are unmarried but it is a long term relationship and have recently moved into a new home together. They seem happy, but the father of the baby turned up at work this morning in a bit of a state as his partner has said she wants the baby to have her surname and not his. There is no option to have a double barrelled surname as her surname is already so

Just a thought...

which is more likely to get this chap a job (or at least an interview) in the future

(Christian name) Symington-Smythe

or

(Christian name) Smith / Yates / Perkins/ O'Reilly?

:whistling:

It’s only a name. I worked once with a guy who hated his dad so much that he got rid of his surname complete. Not changed it to something else just removed it. Officially his name was ‘Wyn’. Caused all sorts of havoc with computers that insisted on everybody having a first and last name! 

8 hours ago, martyn2233 said:

Not true 

An unmarried father who jointly signs the birth register with the mother from 1st December 2003 has Parental Responsibility. This does not apply to children born before the legislation was passed.

Let her sign the birth register on her own then

My niece and her then partner had baby boy, child has fathers surname.

They are no longer together (he is a waste of space).

so for the last few years she has her surname child has fathers surname.

She is due to marry shortly and child with still have fathers surname.

I really don't see the point of unmarried couple giving children the fathers surname.

If a mother has let's say 2 children by 2 different fathers then the children have different surnames...... It's wrong in my opinion. If they aren't married then give the child the mothers surname.

:shaun:

If a woman already has a double-barrelled name but doesn’t want to take the husband’s surname outright after marriage, does one generally keep the name, or does one of the barrels get dropped and swapped, or do people push the boat out and get a triple-barrel surname e.g does Ms Lettuce-Tomato becomes Mrs Bacon-Lettuce-Tomato?

My brother had his daughter before marriage and as above, she has the mother’s surname. He made sure he was there for completing the birth registration certificate as there can be all sorts of potential problems otherwise.

Edited by Cheesefiend

15 hours ago, Scully said:

There is no option to have a double barrelled surname as her surname is already so. 

Why stop at double barrelled?   Folk not far from you (Muncaster) seem to manage OK with triple barrelled surname.    I  wonder how they manage to fill in those official forms that ask you to write your full name in a tiny box.

Give the child the father’s surname as a middle name.

Job done.

Similar situation: (Married) friends of ours gave their son the wife’s maiden name as a first name. It is an uncommon as a first name, but not entirely unheard-of, and so the boy has a rather classy-sounding name as a result.

LS

PS: anyone unfamiliar with Wodehouse’s Jeeves & Wooster story about “L G Trotter” refusing his knighthood, should treat themselves and look it up. :lol:

9 hours ago, dead eye alan said:

This is what happens when you commit to children, but are afraid to commit to marriage. My wife is a retired teacher and the problems that this sort of thing brings to children is a major cause of concern in schools. 

I'm not sure they're afraid to marry, they simply chose not to.