Steam mop recommendation

henry d

An odd topic, but it is off topic.

We have just redecorated the kitchen and laid vinyl as the old stuff was good but well past it. The new stuff is off white, but to me is white and has small grooves to stop people and dogs skating across it. This combined with the colour makes it difficult to sweep/hoover/mop so after looking at mops all morning and getting varying reviews can I ask if anyone has one (and which one they have) and whether they are up to the job of cleaning a white vinyl kitchen floor?

We have one - I don’t recall the make but more often than not I resort to a good old mop and bucket or as was said the Aldi floor wipes and a bit of elbow grease. 

On a side note we have some random Italian marble tiles and everytime I use the steam mop it leaves a Matt finish and not the mr sheen shine when it’s done by hand

We have a Bissell combined steam mop/vacuum. Seems to work well if you use a proper vacuum first ( if lots of muck walked in) and then the mop (with vacuum when needed to pick up any left over bits your missed first time round).   It has pads that go in the washer so you’re not just moving muck around (not sure if this is normal, my experience of these things is limited!).  I still don’t know how I let the boss talk me into a white kitchen floor but this gets it clean (for 10 minutes!). 

There's a filter on the water AVB. If you look at the canister there's a sort of grain filled filter there for hard water I guess. They pack up eventually.

TBH, I thought mine was poop. Used occasionally but not very often, the toweling base seems to get filthy pretty quick and you just end up smearing it around without really removing very much. Mop and bucket, better still, bucket and stiff brush followed by mop, seems to outperform most else.

2 hours ago, mick miller said:

There's a filter on the water AVB. If you look at the canister there's a sort of grain filled filter there for hard water I guess. They pack up eventually.

TBH, I thought mine was poop. Used occasionally but not very often, the toweling base seems to get filthy pretty quick and you just end up smearing it around without really removing very much. Mop and bucket, better still, bucket and stiff brush followed by mop, seems to outperform most else.

I hadn’t noticed the filter and use softened water so perhaps mine hasn’t got blocked. 

Agree I am not sure of the benefit of these things. I bought it as a gadget and it doesn’t get used much nowadays.