PCP Issues.

kernel gadaffi

Hi all, I wrote a post in the wanted page a little while ago, trying to find a PCP for a mate, I've been offered a BSA R10, but the owner doesn't know which model it is, (mk1/2), so isn't sure if there are issues, there's also been an offer of an HW110 and a BSA Ultra, both seemed to be prone to problems with barrels and other things. It's very confusing as to what to recommend to him.  Can anyone shed a light on the pro's and cons of these?

Ta.

Alan.

All 3 are good rifles, obviously more shots with the R10 than the other 2. BSA barrels are Normally good but can be fantastic. 100 barrels. Have had their issues but normally in.22. Get a good 177 and it will be awesome. There are no problems out there that haven’t been fixed by someone with a 100 and there are lots of good/great tuning parts available for the 100 too! 

The clincher will be how they fit your mate and which one he prefers. I have owned an r10 and a Scorpion SE, the Scorpion was incredibly accurate but a bit agricultural. I now own 2x 100s and they are both fantastic. If they are all around the same money then he needs to get ‘hands on’ with them. 

-__________________

Sorry just re-read your post and it’s 110.....😳 now they are Marmite, personally I would opt for either of the BSAsnin preference to a 110. It’s great if you get a good one ******* nightmare if you don’t. A 100 is a much different beast to a 110......

Edited by The Burpster

The hw  110 has been known to have some pretty bad issues and the regulator in the r10 can be iffy and need fixing .

By contrast the bsa ultra is about the most reliable pcp you could buy .i currently own 3 and 2 scorpions (basically the same gun ) and have owned 3 other ultras and all of them have been  100 % reliable both mmc and se versions. 

And that goes for my mate too he has 2 at the moment and has owned at keast 3 others (either ultra or scorpion ) and had no problems with any .

I own an HW110. To say that it's had issues is an understatement! It started off with a global recall by HW because of a barrel defect that meant  the rifles couldn't shoot straight - but that was all HW's and not specific to the 110. Then it had power issues a sear issue that meant the gun wouldn't cock. which was replaced with a brand new gun. This then went back because of the same sear issue.

Sounds bad!

HOWEVER. All of these were issues probably relating to releasing a gun before all these kinks had been taken out! Now it's working it's a lovely gun and there are far, FAR fewer problems with the new HW110's that are coming out. The sears were completely redesigned and that's fixed all issues with that and the power is now a nice and consistent 11-11.5 (pellet depending). I would now, at last recommend getting one! It's a very comfortable rifle to shoot and it is as accurate as one would expect of an HW - at last. And of course it comes as standard with the excellent HW silencer, which is a serious bonus and two magazines

It's really hit HW's reputation for reliability, but now, I'd say it's on a par with a fettled R10 or s410. Great shot capacity too. I have the .177 and get about 110-120 to a charge I think

21 hours ago, kernel gadaffi said:

...I've been offered a BSA R10, but the owner doesn't know which model it is, (mk1/2)...

Easy enough to tell - it's written on the side! On the block, behind the barrel, it says R10 and then with some other words:

R10 Regulated: a Mk 1 gun and known to have regulator woes, although some made it out unscathed!
R10 Mk2 Regulated: Better, but still serious problems with some!
R10 SE Regulated: Newest model, but I don't think too much has changed between the Mk2 and the SE.

All of these are solved if they've been tuned by someone reputable: John Bowkett, Ratworks XTX-Air being the main tuners. They usually have little stickers of joy to indicate they've been made into the gun that the design of the R10 deserved

Edited by chrisjpainter

The only difference between the ultra and scorpion is the length of the barrel and air tube is longer on the scorp .giving more shots per fill .usually in .177  45 for the ultra se and 65 for the scorpion se .177 

Ps you wont read many bad reports on either of these guns and no they dont need tuning or fixing to get them to work .there happens to be a huge aftermarket parts /accessories for them because they are great and can be made even better being able to compete at the highest levels. 

6 hours ago, kernel gadaffi said:

So what is the difference between the Ultra and Scorpion? 

What gets me, is the fact that these companies are releasing rifles that still need work/fettling or third party involvement to make them into what they are supposed to be in the first place?

Thanks.

Very little difference now, but early on the Ultra was a front button cocker and not a bolt and single shot whereas the Scorpion was mag fed and bolt action. both very light well handling guns I loved my Scorpion SE. 

All PCPs can be inaccurate if they aren’t cared for or are badly set up. Well set up they are like tack drivers. My carbine HW100 has taken me best part of a year to get 100% as the previous owner took it to the local ‘expert’ who had basically turned  it into a S1 firearm ((putting out 12.1FPS with 16gn pellets 😳) and ruined its accuracy. Rebuilt correctly and at 11.4 on the same pellets it’s pellet on pellet at 25m. Seems like any Tom **** or Harry can get an RFD and call themselves an expert. There a few really experienced top engineers out there that, a 10min conversation with can transform your shooting and knowledge. 

From your list the BSAs are great VFM the 110 is a gamble! 

Edited by The Burpster

I have had a 110 , for over 18 months , and had no issues at all with it . I get  120 shots in .177 from a 200bar fill . Its anti double load device is superb . You cannot apply the safety unless its cocked  . Its the quietest air rifle I have ever owned or indeed heard. The ten shot mags are faultless in operation . The rubber coated stock is very robust and hasn't marked up at all.. 

It has been shot in all weathers and still looks superb.  The trigger is sublime . I had leaks on my 100's , and vowed never to have one again . I am so glad I bought the 110.

Its regulated , and has always run at about 11.2 ft/lbs . My BSA scorpion .22 se  HUMA  regulated , is  good as well , but not on the same level as the 110.

Edited by Longbower
grammar

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2018 at 13:31, chrisjpainter said:

Easy enough to tell - it's written on the side! On the block, behind the barrel, it says R10 and then with some other words:

R10 Regulated: a Mk 1 gun and known to have regulator woes, although some made it out unscathed!
R10 Mk2 Regulated: Better, but still serious problems with some!
R10 SE Regulated: Newest model, but I don't think too much has changed between the Mk2 and the SE.

All of these are solved if they've been tuned by someone reputable: John Bowkett, Ratworks XTX-Air being the main tuners. They usually have little stickers of joy to indicate they've been made into the gun that the design of the R10 deserved

very well explained and an accurate reply.my second post btw,hello everyone