Engine carbon clean

m greeny

if diesel add 100ml two stroke oil to £20 diesel   burns cleaner more responsive  been doing for years way cheaper than other additives and adds lubrication to working parts in the pump now at   ( two hundred and twelve thousand miles)   up side starts easier  not on the boost all the time cleaner exhaust no smoke under load cant fault just about to order up another 2 gallon two stroke oil will see me through for a few years  

Hi

Lots of information(some quite detailed) on adding 2-stroke on the Passat Forum, including modern engines with DPF.

One link I came across on PF? was from the Swedish Transport people who advised on 2-stroke/litre of diesel......

One of the PF Moderators has last 7-9 years of soot particle printouts at MOT - before and after adding 2-stroke - no contest.

Other diesel cleaners of course are available.

L

There are several system cleaners made by Wynns that I have found to work, for a tenner or less they are a quick fix.

IMG_20180911_161106small.jpg.3366cdc3db4f38e751af63836b108b45.jpg

There is also a set of two liquids for adding just before the MoT to get older diesels through the emision test

Edited by TIGHTCHOKE

engine carbon clean is a giant scam thats why you have to have it repeated every few months, the ignorance of the idiots doing it is astounding though as they all want a fast buck. You connect the machine to the intake and it pumps oxygen and hydrogen in, the hydrogen acts as a fuel and over the 30 mins it is connected the extra fuel is recognised by the o2 sensors which re-learn their fuel tables and make your engines management system inject less fuel so when you remove their device your emissions appear lower as the engine is running lean and not adding enough fuel to compensate until it re-learns its parameters, this gives the engine the feeling of more power as its not bogged down with an over-rich condition(all engines are set to run a little rich as a safety margin). I know this because I was one of the first people in the UK to attempt to commercially manufacture these devices. I sold 50 of them at £3500 each to a big biofuels company and 49 owners came back claiming fuel savings but none of them provided any data to back it up so we went to milbrook, paid a ransom and had them tested on a double decker bus, the unit was supposed to be a fuel saver and drew 16A from the cars alternator to make the gas so more load was added, it made fuel consumption about 15% worse but showed a slight reduction in emissions while it was running. So the lessons learned were that the placebo effect is vastly underrated to the point that 49 people (hauliers mostly) experienced a non existent fuel saving when it in fact made it worse which I can only attribute to them changing their driving style. I ceased with my endeavour after seeing the results but a friend of mine kept going, he made a few quid but now the proverbial cat is out of the bag and everyone's at it dot com.

On ‎17‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:12, Vince Green said:

When I take my van on a long run I always put some redex or similar in the tank. Whether it does any good I don't know, running continuously for about 5 hours burns off the carbon anyway. 

two stroke oil does the same thing but far cheaper  raises your flash point to getter a better burn cleaner emissions 

Edited by Saltings

19 hours ago, Saltings said:

two stroke oil does the same thing but far cheaper  raises your flash point to getter a better burn cleaner emissions 

I've got a lot of 2 stroke oil for the boat engine, how much do you put in? Actually redex looks like the 2 stroke oil I've got in the garage. That's dark red too. 

On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 22:45, Paul1440 said:

Ah that's it.. I just looked it up. Still selling it I see. I Have a car with a 1zz toyota engine in and it drinks oil like George Best and Oliver Reed on a bender. Apparently it's normal according to the car forums and they are oil sensitive.. Slick 50 might help. 

if used on short runs the bores have glazed up  on synthetic oil   hence oil getting past rings three choices use a handful or two of vim powder onto the air intake as a mild abrasive on the combustion side  to scrub the bores clean       or mineral oil changed every 4k inc top up in-between until oil burning stops or a strip and re-bore new pistons etc 

6 hours ago, Saltings said:

if used on short runs the bores have glazed up  on synthetic oil   hence oil getting past rings three choices use a handful or two of vim powder onto the air intake as a mild abrasive on the combustion side  to scrub the bores clean       or mineral oil changed every 4k inc top up in-between until oil burning stops or a strip and re-bore new pistons etc 

my transit 2.2 tdi started burning loads of oil around 120'000 miles running on 10-30w synthetic. so i changed to 15-40 mineral oil and the consumption dropped to a 1/4 of the synthetic it was still ok at 180'000 miles when i sold it.