L200

button

Hi

Thinking of coming out of company car scheme and doing a personal lease on a new L200 Babarian, been offered a good deal but just wondered what owners thought, looking at doing c 10k per year, what's thoughts on running costs etc? Any advice greatfully recieved

Thanks

depending on right foot any where from 14 to 36 mpg     head gasket and crank problems chassis cracking etc if your lease replaces / repairs your good     if not play safe vw merc beamer for a company car up around 100k give or take ready for a dual mas fly wheel / clutch app £400 + labour  all the best some diesels cars  are less than £40 a year rod tax and return 50 + mpg  may be the way forward 

Edited by Saltings

I have a 06 auto that has done over 200k, average of 29 mpg in the time I've had it (over 100k)  It has not had any head gasket or crank problems and not heard of any with 06 on models. No problems with the chassis carking ether and again not heard of any with the L200 unlike the nevara.

All in all I think it has been the most reliable and cheapest 4x4 I've had. 

22 hours ago, button said:

Hi

Thinking of coming out of company car scheme and doing a personal lease on a new L200 Babarian, been offered a good deal but just wondered what owners thought, looking at doing c 10k per year, what's thoughts on running costs etc? Any advice greatfully recieved

Thanks

The only advice i could offer is that 10k isnt very much and you could easily go over and face a hefty bill at the end of the lease

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

The only advice i could offer is that 10k isnt very much and you could easily go over and face a hefty bill at the end of the lease

I agree but it is actually cheaper to do 8k over and pay the excess than it is to up the limit from day 1, figure that

We’re on our 2nd L200 which is used several times a week EVERY week for towing the horse trailer with contents. Keep them serviced properly and they are like a sewing machine. 

Before we bought this latest one new we tried the Ford, Great Wall, Isuzu, Toyota and VW. None were a patch on the L200 for economy WHILST TOWING despite what the brochures say. The Isuzu was marginally better when not towing but felt a bit clunky compared to the Mitsubishi. The VW was basic and very expensive. Barbarian is as well equipped as most middle family cars and is a very easy place to be and believe me I have done some long journeys in ours. If we won the lottery this weekend I would get a new one despite the other others on the market now. 

7 hours ago, The Burpster said:

We’re on our 2nd L200 which is used several times a week EVERY week for towing the horse trailer with contents. Keep them serviced properly and they are like a sewing machine. 

Before we bought this latest one new we tried the Ford, Great Wall, Isuzu, Toyota and VW. None were a patch on the L200 for economy WHILST TOWING despite what the brochures say. The Isuzu was marginally better when not towing but felt a bit clunky compared to the Mitsubishi. The VW was basic and very expensive. Barbarian is as well equipped as most middle family cars and is a very easy place to be and believe me I have done some long journeys in ours. If we won the lottery this weekend I would get a new one despite the other others on the market now. 

That's just what I was hoping to hear! 

Thanks 

I bought a 2017 mitsubishi L200 barbarian with 5200mile on about 2 months ago I'm getting 540 mile out of £80 diesel at £1.32 a litre works out about 40mpg ish I also tried all the other offerings by other manufacturers and l200 just felt better value I've done about 3000 mile in it now 

12 minutes ago, db135 said:

I bought a 2017 mitsubishi L200 barbarian with 5200mile on about 2 months ago I'm getting 540 mile out of £80 diesel at £1.32 a litre works out about 40mpg ish I also tried all the other offerings by other manufacturers and l200 just felt better value I've done about 3000 mile in it now 

Hope I manage the same! 

42 minutes ago, db135 said:

Cripes that's amazing mpg.

1 hour ago, al4x said:

It just shows the progress being made.  I’ve an 09 plate l200 and with at tyres get 32-33mpg on usual running around which is 440-460 to the same sized tank. 

That good but a long way short of 40. I only bimble about in my (62 plate) Hilux and staying on tarmac get about 34-35 maybe 36 if very careful.  To get 40 average from an l200 is amazing. 

Wifes disco sport (17 plate) will do high 50's but still only average 42.

The killer is off road or low range when I reckon it will drop to maybe 10 mpg (just a guess) so to get 40 average from an L200 then you dont want to leave the tarmac and even then is brilliant :).

Edited by oowee

• 3 weeks later...

Ive got an 18 plate auto Barbarian and have NEVER seen over 30mpg, even driving like an oap! I always have the aircon on 24/7 but even with it off for a day, it only makes 0.5mpg difference on the trip computer. I love it for shooting, but as it doubles as a work vehicle too, its a PITA filling it up every other day!

7 hours ago, steve d said:

Ive got an 18 plate auto Barbarian and have NEVER seen over 30mpg, even driving like an oap! I always have the aircon on 24/7 but even with it off for a day, it only makes 0.5mpg difference on the trip computer. I love it for shooting, but as it doubles as a work vehicle too, its a PITA filling it up every other day!

Ouch glad I went for the manual 

22 hours ago, steve d said:

I was looking at an L200 the other week and ended up speaking to the most honest car salesman in the world, he said if i wanted auto then go for another truck as the L200 gives awful MPG, he expected at best high 20s and couldnt work out how the auto box was quite so bad compared to the manual.

51 minutes ago, ferguson_tom said:

I was looking at an L200 the other week and ended up speaking to the most honest car salesman in the world, he said if i wanted auto then go for another truck as the L200 gives awful MPG, he expected at best high 20s and couldnt work out how the auto box was quite so bad compared to the manual.

He's right and im just glad i dont pay for my fuel.

I have a work colleague in another part of the country that has the same vehicle, he reckons he gets 38-40mpg...I think hes full of ****!

23 hours ago, steve d said:

My other half has had up to 40mpg on our 2016 Barbarian with the cruise set at 60moh on trips to Scotland.  I have had high 30's but usual under 30 as I'm a bit harder with the right foot on such trips.

Just ordered a new one

6 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

My other half has had up to 40mpg on our 2016 Barbarian with the cruise set at 60moh on trips to Scotland.  I have had high 30's but usual under 30 as I'm a bit harder with the right foot on such trips.

Just ordered a new one

Is your 2016 an auto?

15 hours ago, steve d said:

Is your 2016 an auto?

It is indeed. 

She even sent me a pic of the display as I didn't believe her......think it was at 39.8 at the time.

I tried to go canny on a decent run thereafter and achieved 36mpg, so it certainly can be done.  Generally I drive pretty quickly so it doesn't get much chance to break 30mpg.