50 cal Ban

Dougy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our latest members email

Many of you will have watched Parliament TV today, expecting to see the debate on the Offensive Weapons Bill, as today was the much anticipated Report Stage

However the debate did not take place, which was somewhat unusual, as debates were timetabled up until 10:00pm, but ceased at 7:30pm.

A statement on the Parliament website reads as follows:

Remaining stages

The remaining stages of this Bill have been postponed due to time pressures in the Chamber. They will be rescheduled in due course.

The House will debate amendments, some of which would introduce offences for possessing corrosive substances on educational premises. Other amendments would remove the proposed ban on rifles over 13,600 joules at the muzzle but require tougher safety measures.

The following article indicates that perhaps other factors were also at play.

Please be aware that we will be submitting a formal complaint to the BBC about the following article, as it contains several glaring inaccuracies.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45867682

What does this mean for us?

Well, its possibly a glimmer of good news, at the very least it gives us a chance to contact those MPs who have still not signed Sir Geoffrey’s amendment and request their support. I have been advised that there are at least five pro-shooter MPs who have not yet signed this amendment, one of which is a rifle shooter! The more names, the better our chances.

As it’s been delayed it is not too late for you to request the support of your MP (assuming their name is not already on the list below), if they need technical assistance in understanding any of the blatant propaganda sent out by the NCA to the Home Office (which has been relayed onto MPs) then let me know. There are many ridiculous myths being banded around, and we need to debunk them.

The current list of signatories to Sir Geoffrey’s amendment are as follows:

Sir Geoffrey Clifton-Brown [R]

Mr Jonathan Djanogly [R]

Mr Philip Hollobone

Adam Holloway

Mr Steve Baker

Martin Vickers

Sir David Amess

Sir Henry Bellingham

Sir Paul Beresford

Sir Peter Bottomley

Sir William Cash

Chris Davies

Richard Drax

Mark Garnier

Richard Graham

Bill Grant

Simon Hart

Sir Oliver Heald

Gordon Henderson

Sir Bernard Jenkin

Daniel Kawczynski

Jeremy Lefroy

Sir Edward Leigh

Sir Oliver Letwin

Mr Ian Liddell-Grainger

Craig Mackinlay

Sir Nicholas Soames

Sir Robert Syms

Ross Thomson

Bill Wiggin

Sammy Wilson

Kate Hoey

Douglas Ross

It may look like we are making good progress, and hopefully we are, but it’s not time to rest just yet.

If you or your MP has any queries or concerns, please let me know without delay.

Many thanks & keep up the good work!

Chris Stevenson

Chairman, FCSA (UK)

www.fcsa.co.uk

Last time I looked a 343 could kill anything we hunt. Coming up with contrived justifications for the 50 cal actually weakens the case for the other calibres which have a genuine purpose.

8 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Last time I looked a 343 could kill anything we hunt. Coming up with contrived justifications for the 50 cal actually weakens the case for the other calibres which have a genuine purpose.

A .223 will kill anything you are likely to come across in the uk, but my guess would be that not very many people have fox and aolq on the conditions for their 50. 

Whatever calibre,whatever your chosen tool looks like, 2 barrels over under, side x side bolt action, semi auto, Springer or pneumatic its a gun at the end of the day, target or not their are people outside of your bubble world that want to ban ALL firearms. And as soon as those that dont think they are under scrutiny realise this the better.

Come on then those that are burying their heads tell me I'm wrong, what's the saying??? 

WAKE UP AND SMELL THE COFFEE. 

Edited by Dougy

9 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Yes I get that as I love the sport too. But defending a calibre meant for military usage is not actually helping our cause.

Yes, it does.

The "ban it" mentality works on a ratchet principle. Every success is a step on to the next thing to ban - your chosen sport may be a way down the list, but rest assured, on the list it will be. Throwing someone else under the bus won't help.

If we do not hang together, we shall most surely hang separately.

18 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Rifles were all designed for military use. 

So come back with another one. 

You could stretch that as far as a good few shotgun calibres too, 

52 minutes ago, DC177 said:

Yes I get that as I love the sport too. But defending a calibre meant for military usage is not actually helping our cause.

Want to ban them as well? 

31 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Rifles were all designed for military use. 

So come back with another one. 

Come back with a genuine justification for civilian use of 50 cal. So far not seen it.

Can’t see any need to ban any calibre there’s plenty of people with 375hh and bigger in the uk all for sporting purposes and zero on approved ranges 

we need people who are well practiced with larger calibers in the country along with the skill set of the muzzle loaders and all forms of shooting 

to pick out 50 calibre is plainly victimisation of a small but very skilled part of the shooting community 

1 hour ago, DC177 said:

So Calibres meant for military use then let’s look at a few 308 Win, 30/06 Sprg and 223 Rem all designed for military use and now rather popular civilian cartridges 

3 hours ago, DC177 said:

Get a grip for goodness sake.

223/5.56mm, 308/7.62mm and even .303 British all have military uses (although not ours) but not exclusively! Are you really suggesting that anything used by the military should not have a civilian use as well? By your logic we should stop shooting foxes with .223 and deer with .308! The fact you don't partake in extreme long distance target shooting doesn't give you the right to throw those that do under the bus!

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Can’t see any need to ban any calibre there’s plenty of people with 375hh and bigger in the uk all for sporting purposes and zero on approved ranges 

we need people who are well practiced with larger calibers in the country along with the skill set of the muzzle loaders and all forms of shooting 

to pick out 50 calibre is plainly victimisation of a small but very skilled part of the shooting community 

Completely agree, well put. :good: