Canada goose

dipper

10 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

Put the goose in the oven for four hours with a brick after four hours take it out & chuck it in the bin and eat the brick 

Same old, same old, I manage O/K, light smoke,cook moist, long & slow,cook legs seperate to make sauce,serve with clapshot .

Exactly as described above, mince it up with some pork shoulder for a bit of fat, we use it in burgers, sausages, chill etc.

I was a bit sceptical before we started processing it as roasting them can be a bit of lottery but we've been mincing them for a couple of years and its much better than shop bought burgers or mince. 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, guzzicat said:

Quite common in scotland but the shot part is  mixed swede & carrot mashed

Bit rough on the dog just coz it didn,t like the food.

yeah but my dog is a dustbin he never turns food down it's the only time he as turned food away so it must of been rubbish

It also goes well with other game meats in a game pie.  65% game meat, 30% belly pork or streaky smoked bacon(better I think), season well. Grind in a couple of cloves of garlic when grinding. Hot water paste case raised and then filled with the mixture ...you can also add a small quantity of apricots or apples when grinding.   I use the 2 1/2 inch springform baking trays with the pop out bases and put greased paper round the sides and base which means you get a clean break when the pie is cooled down.   A good mustard, red currant or cranberry jelly speard on a slice for 'elevensies' on a shoot day goes down very well indeed. 

• 3 weeks later...

Can,t understand people saying Canada goose is inedible,must be the way they are cooking them.We make burgers, lasagna, Bolognese,chili,and the usual roast.I must admit I do not pluck the whole bird,just breasting it but there is a vast amount of lovely meat to eat in its various recipe's.

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/11/2018 at 22:07, Zapp said:

Whoosh!

:good:

Anyway, OP,  if you can bothered to pluck it, then joint it:

Confit the legs with loads of salt and a few spices (juniper, coriander and caraway). Cook them long and low and then keep them in the fridge for a few days in the fat before roasting - exceptional!

The bones and bits make a good stock, the the crown is far easier to roast on its own than with the wings and legs attached.

LS

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 18:36, Walker570 said:

It also goes well with other game meats in a game pie.  65% game meat, 30% belly pork or streaky smoked bacon(better I think), season well. Grind in a couple of cloves of garlic when grinding. Hot water paste case raised and then filled with the mixture ...you can also add a small quantity of apricots or apples when grinding.   I use the 2 1/2 inch springform baking trays with the pop out bases and put greased paper round the sides and base which means you get a clean break when the pie is cooled down.   A good mustard, red currant or cranberry jelly speard on a slice for 'elevensies' on a shoot day goes down very well indeed. 

This sounds good so hope to be trying it over the next week or so :good:. Canada breast meat substituted for beef in a Chinese crispy beef recipe is superb (better than beef IMO). :good: