Too warm ... ?

Smokersmith

5 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm not sure if it's me getting older, but I'm not getting fired up to go out on the foreshore with these temperatures ... just doesn't seem right!

No doubt some are getting some sweaty sport, but I'm completely fine with waiting till it gets cooler ....

Anyone else still in 'neutral' ....

Tell yer what Smoker I am exactly the same , to me this season seem to be on hold and at the moment cant get to much enthusiasm , yesterday I walked around the estuary wall in a short sleeve shirt and it was like a Summers day , it was that peaceful it would have been a shame if somebody had fired a shot and disturbed the peace and tranquility . am I getting soft or what ?

28 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

I'm not sure if it's me getting older, but I'm not getting fired up to go out on the foreshore with these temperatures ... just doesn't seem right!

No doubt some are getting some sweaty sport, but I'm completely fine with waiting till it gets cooler ....

Ive only been out twice and fired one shot. and thats in the Hebrides. we are getting gales tomorrow so might wander down.  are you loosing the leaves down south ? my willows are looking decidedly brown and there wont be many left by next week

I'm also lacking enthusiasm when it's warm, I've been out and sweated my nuts off and got eaten alive by mozzies and it doesn't do it for me.

Last Saturday morning it felt like fowling weather, got out if the car to unlock the gate and nearly lost the car door.

I'm happy plodding around shooting a few rabbits until it gets colder 

4 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Had a few outings on cool mornings, and big evening tides. The season isn't in full swing, really. When the pinks are around in force I shall consider the season has really begun.

I may take advantage of the promised gusty winds on some inland duck tomorrow morning.

I believe we are set for a cooler spell shortly.

7 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

I did mention in a previous thread , is it getting near the time with starting on the 20 th Sept and all finishing on the 20 th Feb both inland and coastal , as I find at club level there are less and less people who bother in going the early part of the season . some members on here agreed and others said leave it as it is , but going by this season , I would bet good money ( if I had it ) that you would get more sport in the three weeks in February than you would in September , what say you ?

13 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I did mention in a previous thread , is it getting near the time with starting on the 20 th Sept and all finishing on the 20 th Feb both inland and coastal , as I find at club level there are less and less people who bother in going the early part of the season . some members on here agreed and others said leave it as it is , but going by this season , I would bet good money ( if I had it ) that you would get more sport in the three weeks in February than you would in September , what say you ?

Thing is, though, if things had turned out right I would have had a load of greys and canadas to shoot on the stubbles in early September. I wouldn't want to give that up, nor an early foray or two after early season mallard.

8 minutes ago, motty said:

Thing is, though, if things had turned out right I would have had a load of greys and canadas to shoot on the stubbles in early September. I wouldn't want to give that up, nor an early foray or two after early season mallard.

With the Canada geese now on the open list, and could soon be followed by Greys you could shoot them in August if you really wanted to , as for Mallard , I cant see 20 days making a huge difference when everyone have to comply with the same starting date , at least it would give the late broods a bit more time to feather up . 

Just come back from a week up north , weather was great ! Nice to wander out with no leggings on or big jackets .

Geese must have felt the same , very late coming off the shore , and early back to the shore .

Really nice steady flights , it will all change this weather can not last forever, clocks change soon,  days will be shorter .

8 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Me as well Steve.

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

Even If we were to agree to delay in the start of the season until later in September or even October.......I would be willing to bet, NE would not extend the season at the other end, either inland or on the coast to compensate!

2 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Even If we were to agree to delay in the start of the season until later in September or even October.......I would be willing to bet, NE would not extend the season at the other end, either inland or on the coast to compensate!

The only ones to dip out would be the coastal boys as they would lose the first 20 days , whereas the inland boys would end up with the same amount of days , only they would start later and finish the same date as the fowlers do on the coast 

You are probably right with N E unwilling to agree with any change , moving the season forward and playing around with starting and finishing dates will never please everyone , one of the reasons for leaving it as it is was tradition , well most of the traditionalists that I knew who looked forward to the first day are sadly gone and I am finding the ones that are taking there place are not that keen in getting up early to venture out on the first morning just to look at the sunrise .

16 hours ago, marsh man said:

With the Canada geese now on the open list, and could soon be followed by Greys you could shoot them in August if you really wanted to , as for Mallard , I cant see 20 days making a huge difference when everyone have to comply with the same starting date , at least it would give the late broods a bit more time to feather up . 

I shoot Canada's (under the GL) on a couple of farms that have  issues with crop damage and have done so in late march when the problem can be at its worst. By this point the farmers will have chased them off with dogs and shone lasers at them etc and in all ways the terms of using the licence to cull them are fulfilled 

I understand that lots of people do it i would be very wary of sitting on stubble in August  and claiming that i was operating under the GL, i guess it is no different to people shooting pigeons on stubble but i wouldnt want to have to defend myself personally.

On 11/10/2018 at 09:54, Smokersmith said:

Agreed, I just can’t get into it until it’s either cold or blowing a hooli, even shot opening day in British Columbia last week and it still didn’t feel right! 

What a contrast from one side of the country to the other side , just seen the news with the heavy rain over Wales and on the west side , here in the East it must have been close to record temperatures with 26 in N / Norfolk and where we were near Norwich it was showing 22 in the motor when we were on the way home at 4 o clock .

We were shooting Partridges today in summer like conditions , the ground was bone dry so no need for wellies , we only started off with a jumper on and by dinner we were down to just a shirt on, although it's our turn for a rough ole day tomorrow :no:

• 3 weeks later...

Well ... be careful what you wish for!!

On Saturday afternoon, with a Northerly in the air I set out for my 1st serious evening flight.

Christ! I spent half of it crouched over the dog, protecting him from the thumbnail sized hail, and the other half too afraid to lift the gun up due to biblical lightning and thunder !!

It helped develop a nice bag of duck, but driving home through what was close to an inch of slush/hail in some places, I realized how bad it had been ...

Loved it !!!!!