Too warm ... ?

Smokersmith

5 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Well ... be careful what you wish for!!

On Saturday afternoon, with a Northerly in the air I set out for my 1st serious evening flight.

Christ! I spent half of it crouched over the dog, protecting him from the thumbnail sized hail, and the other half too afraid to lift the gun up due to biblical lightning and thunder !!

It helped develop a nice bag of duck, but driving home through what was close to an inch of slush/hail in some places, I realized how bad it had been ...

Loved it !!!!!

Its now beginning to feel like shooting weather , just been down the marsh and the cattle are being taken off for the winter , all we want now is some serious rain to create a few splashes .

Well done on the duck , what were they ? , we had our first wild duck drive last Friday , six guns shot 19 duck which consisted of 11 Mallard , 3 Gadwall , 1 Shoverler and 4 Teal , we didn't get any Widgeon although we did see a nice lot.

8 hours ago, Smokersmith said:

Well ... be careful what you wish for!!

On Saturday afternoon, with a Northerly in the air I set out for my 1st serious evening flight.

Christ! I spent half of it crouched over the dog, protecting him from the thumbnail sized hail, and the other half too afraid to lift the gun up due to biblical lightning and thunder !!

It helped develop a nice bag of duck, but driving home through what was close to an inch of slush/hail in some places, I realized how bad it had been ...

Loved it !!!!!

I was at home thinking how much I wouldn't want to be out shooting!

It is certainly better weather for wildfowling, though. I have had some great flights over the last week. Before that it had been extremely quiet.

Edited by motty

11 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

Just got back from Scotland after a week on the foreshore.last week Monday was bloody freezing with 40mph winds, still I loved every minute of it. Only another 51 weeks until I’m out again. 

How did your week go Mr Anderson ? , hopefully you had a good week , were duck and geese numbers using the area on par with other years ? and did you manage to put a few in the bag ?

Long ole while to wait 51 weeks before your allowed out again , you must have been a naughty boy Charlie at sometime or other :lol:

I managed 5 pink feet and one wigeon and numbers were well down in terms of previous years. I think next year I will head up earlier in the month. Despite the bag the company was fantastic and my son spent less time asleep compared to last year. I had one memorable flight when I got up at 5am drove to the foreshore , walked out in the dark, got to my chosen spot without getting lost, waited for dawn and the wigeon to flight only to find my beloved mossberg had decided not to strike the cartridge hard enough. I had been using the hatsan all week and fancied a change.  Note to self test each of them before you drive from London to Scotland to watch wigeon scream past in the gloom.  Still managed to get out every morning to watch the dawn ride and if I got shot happy days.

3 hours ago, Charlie Anderson said:

I managed 5 pink feet and one wigeon and numbers were well down in terms of previous years. I think next year I will head up earlier in the month. Despite the bag the company was fantastic and my son spent less time asleep compared to last year. I had one memorable flight when I got up at 5am drove to the foreshore , walked out in the dark, got to my chosen spot without getting lost, waited for dawn and the wigeon to flight only to find my beloved mossberg had decided not to strike the cartridge hard enough. I had been using the hatsan all week and fancied a change.  Note to self test each of them before you drive from London to Scotland to watch wigeon scream past in the gloom.  Still managed to get out every morning to watch the dawn ride and if I got shot happy days.

THANKS for the details Charlie A , really glad you had a good week and both you and your son enjoyed it , well done on your bag of 5 geese and your Widgeon .