Cartridge choice

I have been reading Wil Garfits book on pigeon shooting where he recommends the optimal pigeon load to be 28gram 7.5 shot. But everyone I speak with seems to go for 30gram 6 shot. 

Has anyone tried both and can give me a bit of personal advice on which they prefer? 

The figures I read were:

28g, 7.5 shot (385 pellets @ 2.3mm)

30g, 6 shot (287 pellets @ 2.6mm)

Wills argument was that you see a 25% reduction in pellet count going from the 28 gram to the 30 gram load which is more of a consideration than the relatively small change in shot size of 0.3mm 

thoughts? 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that Will is probably right for the type of shooting that he does i.e. decoying where he gets the pigeons within say 25-35 yards. 

If you look at his kills to cartridge ratio, this proves his theory, but there again, he is a very good shot.

I understand that when he went pigeon shooting with George Digweed, GD said "You take anything up to 15 yards and I`ll take the rest"

However, it`s confidence in whatever gun and cartridges you use count for a lot in my opinion and of course the ability to hold the gun straight.

OB

12 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I think that Will is probably right for the type of shooting that he does i.e. decoying where he gets the pigeons within say 25-35 yards. 

If you look at his kills to cartridge ratio, this proves his theory, but there again, he is a very good shot.

I understand that when he went pigeon shooting with George Digweed, GD said "You take anything up to 15 yards and I`ll take the rest"

However, it`s confidence in whatever gun and cartridges you use count for a lot in my opinion and of course the ability to hold the gun straight.

OB

Thanks and good point! I do remember reading that in the book also!

im doing a bit of an experiment at the moment............i have so far used 

• 28gm 7.5................hard kick in my little sxs...so used them in the auto.  (these are fibre wad)
  • 24gm 7.5...............nice fast cartridge only a small kick.............................(these are fibre wad)

• i am waiting for some 24gm 7.5 plastic wad to come

my gun is choked cylinder and 1/4..............

i wont use the 28x7.5 in the sxs as they kick like hell and target finding on the second shot is slow as a result............they work well in the auto used in 1/2 choke

the 24 gm 7.5 are a sweet cartridge up to 25 yds then i think the pattern blows after that..........i rekon the 24gm 7.5's plastic wad that i have coming will give me up to 33 yds..........which will suit me fine               and they are only £50/slab.......................

flighting i will stick to my 28gm 6's plastic wad............

the pics are of one of the birds i shot a couple of days ago..............shot at 20 yds or just under using the 24gm fibre 7.5..............11 pellets i found...

experiment 005tn_.JPG

experiment 006tn_.JPG

experiment 007tn_.JPG

experiment 010tn_.JPG

experiment 011tn_.JPG

3 hours ago, ditchman said:

im doing a bit of an experiment at the moment............i have so far used 

• 28gm 7.5................hard kick in my little sxs...so used them in the auto.  (these are fibre wad)
  • 24gm 7.5...............nice fast cartridge only a small kick.............................(these are fibre wad)

• i am waiting for some 24gm 7.5 plastic wad to come

my gun is choked cylinder and 1/4..............

i wont use the 28x7.5 in the sxs as they kick like hell and target finding on the second shot is slow as a result............they work well in the auto used in 1/2 choke

the 24 gm 7.5 are a sweet cartridge up to 25 yds then i think the pattern blows after that..........i rekon the 24gm 7.5's plastic wad that i have coming will give me up to 33 yds..........which will suit me fine               and they are only £50/slab.......................

flighting i will stick to my 28gm 6's plastic wad............

the pics are of one of the birds i shot a couple of days ago..............shot at 20 yds or just under using the 24gm fibre 7.5..............11 pellets i found...

experiment 005tn_.JPG

experiment 006tn_.JPG

experiment 007tn_.JPG

experiment 010tn_.JPG

experiment 011tn_.JPG

Try Hull Comp X 28g 7.5 in your s/s ,lovely and smooth and work well in my 26" No4.

22 hours ago, Mason4796 said:

I have been reading Wil Garfits book on pigeon shooting where he recommends the optimal pigeon load to be 28gram 7.5 shot. But everyone I speak with seems to go for 30gram 6 shot. 

Has anyone tried both and can give me a bit of personal advice on which they prefer? 

The figures I read were:

Wills argument was that you see a 25% reduction in pellet count going from the 28 gram to the 30 gram load which is more of a consideration than the relatively small change in shot size of 0.3mm 

thoughts? 

28g of 2.4mm (euro 7.5 350 pellets per 28g) but almost uk 7 is probably the best all round pigeon cartridge for a combination of price, pattern and range (40 yards) for £210/1000

RC, Rio, Fiocchi, gamebore diamond shot, all fall into this catagory.

If you want a bit more range (45 yards) 32g no 6.5 (300 pellets per 28g) is the next balanced loading, but up to £330/1000

Thereafter 36g no 6 for 50 yards but you are now at £375/1000.

23 hours ago, Mason4796 said:

The figures I read were:

thoughts? 

For a number of years I was a strong devotee  of Gamebore Clear Pigeon , they were and still are a very good cartridge not only for pigeon shooters but I know a lot of game shooters who also use them with good effect , well now , with only relying on a small private and the state pension I have to consider the cost of the shells I use , more so now the price the game dealers are paying for both fresh and frozen pigeons and the rising cost of Clear Pigeon cartridges .

I did buy nearly a 1000 Hull Super Fast clay load cartridges off a member and used them with very good results over decoys , then I moved on to Gamebore Velocity 28 gm 7 1/2 , which I still use  and I have no complaints whatsoever , will kill at a sensible range , soft on the shoulder , plastic wads and at a very good price , the shop let us have them at £45 a slab , the same price as 1000 which are £180 ,

I have got no reason at the moment to change , if you find one you like , then stick with it .  

46 minutes ago, motty said:

I probably recommended Fiocchi Top one. Available in fibre and plastic.

wooohhhh they are a good price..............i remember you recommended  fiocchi.........not the type..........have to get a couple of boxes of those and try them........:good:

As motty said. Use both as they will both kill just fine. 

I use 6 29g as I sometimes shoot rabbits and like the extra poke. That said I used some 7s the other day (jocker) and they killed fine at 40 yards, perhaps a touch further. Under 45 and 7.5 are fine for decoying. If you hit further than that you won't need our advice. 

When I started pigeon shooting I used 28gram 7 and only shot birds that decoyed, I now use 32/6 as I shoot passing birds and birds leaving the pattern( usually second bird leaving the pattern)  it just what suits you. I see comments about Proper Cartridges and also steel shot cartridges not hitting hard, in my experience they both hit very hard you just need to get the lead right!!!!

The best Shot size for pigeon will depend on a few factors 

Your cal . Load size .choke .distance and gun type .

Some guns can shoot 7.5  well out to 45 yds .other guns will struggle beyond  20 yds. With a 7.5 and perform better with a no 5  and every thing in between .

First You need to identify your gun and its limitations /strengths  and then choose a cartridge. To suit your needs. 

On 11/10/2018 at 10:56, Mason4796 said:

The figures I read were:

thoughts? 

hello, what shotgun do you do you use for pidgeon shooting, fixed/ multi choke/ semi auto ?/ pump? S x S/ O/U, ?

1 hour ago, Ultrastu said:

The best Shot size for pigeon will depend on a few factors 

Your cal . Load size .choke .distance and gun type .

Some guns can shoot 7.5  well out to 45 yds .other guns will struggle beyond  20 yds. With a 7.5 and perform better with a no 5  and every thing in between .

First You need to identify your gun and its limitations /strengths  and then choose a cartridge. To suit your needs. 

Very true, if it feels right you will shoot it well. Confidence is the main factor.