Cartridge choice

I shoot 20b and .410 

I have ported barrel mossy hush and i feel due to the porting it robs energy (velocity ) from any cartridge put through it. (Compared to say a unported barrel on an ou ) .

As such the lower energy out the barrel means a lower striking energy at target and a 7.5 load just doesnt have enough when you get much beyound 20 yds where as no 5 (diamond shot ) really hits hard out to 45 yds. .

The same 7.5  carts from my ou kill better out to 35 yds. And obviously  choke and pattern density will also effect range too. 

Edited by Ultrastu

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/10/2018 at 10:40, marsh man said:

For a number of years I was a strong devotee  of Gamebore Clear Pigeon , they were and still are a very good cartridge not only for pigeon shooters but I know a lot of game shooters who also use them with good effect , well now , with only relying on a small private and the state pension I have to consider the cost of the shells I use , more so now the price the game dealers are paying for both fresh and frozen pigeons and the rising cost of Clear Pigeon cartridges .

I did buy nearly a 1000 Hull Super Fast clay load cartridges off a member and used them with very good results over decoys , then I moved on to Gamebore Velocity 28 gm 7 1/2 , which I still use  and I have no complaints whatsoever , will kill at a sensible range , soft on the shoulder , plastic wads and at a very good price , the shop let us have them at £45 a slab , the same price as 1000 which are £180 ,

I have got no reason at the moment to change , if you find one you like , then stick with it .  

Marshman gave me a box to try of the 7.5 28 gm gamebore, I have always used 30 gm 6's started with eley grand prix in the 60's and 70's , over the years I have tried almost everything but kept coming back to similar cartridges and most recently sticking with clear pigeon despite the horrendous cost of 248 pounds per thousand at the last purchase,  so a bit sceptical about these clay loads, anyway I took the box out to a favourite spot of mine, to my surprise I took 19 birds with 24 shots using these cartridges, 2 around 50 yards, a couple of high birds as well, and the rest in normal range over the decoy pattern at around 25 to 35 yards, very impressed and it looks like I will be switching to these once my present supply of 6's is exhausted. So one convert here for sure, anyone like me stuck in the past might want to give these new gamebore cartridges a try, they pack a fair wallop and certainly did not disappoint.:good:

1 hour ago, lakeside1000 said:

Marshman gave me a box to try of the 7.5 28 gm gamebore, I have always used 30 gm 6's started with eley grand prix in the 60's and 70's , over the years I have tried almost everything but kept coming back to similar cartridges and most recently sticking with clear pigeon despite the horrendous cost of 248 pounds per thousand at the last purchase,  so a bit sceptical about these clay loads, anyway I took the box out to a favourite spot of mine, to my surprise I took 19 birds with 24 shots using these cartridges, 2 around 50 yards, a couple of high birds as well, and the rest in normal range over the decoy pattern at around 25 to 35 yards, very impressed and it looks like I will be switching to these once my present supply of 6's is exhausted. So one convert here for sure, anyone like me stuck in the past might want to give these new gamebore cartridges a try, they pack a fair wallop and certainly did not disappoint.:good:

It is not just Gamebore that make good quality, cheap clay cartridges.

17 hours ago, motty said:

It is not just Gamebore that make good quality, cheap clay cartridges.

Hey Motty, I would be interested what you use especially in the clay type cartridges as I know you do a lot of pigeon control ,is there a favourite you would recommend at better prices than the now expensive pigeon range of 6's. 

3 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

Hey Motty, I would be interested what you use especially in the clay type cartridges as I know you do a lot of pigeon control ,is there a favourite you would recommend at better prices than the now expensive pigeon range of 6's. 

Over the last few years I have used many different clay shells to good effect. I like Rio, Fiocchi, NSI, Trust, La Jocker and Saga. I can't really say I have a favourite.

Most of these are available at around £4.70 a box.

3 hours ago, motty said:

Over the last few years I have used many different clay shells to good effect. I like Rio, Fiocchi, NSI, Trust, La Jocker and Saga. I can't really say I have a favourite.

Most of these are available at around £4.70 a box.

If you haven't already tried them give Hull Super Fast clay load a try , they also do a pigeon load which I haven't used any yet but I would have thought they would be a good shell.

I have used at some time all of the above makes and several more which are a bit more expensive  , I bought two boxes of the Joker game and clay loads from a little gun shop in Beccles , the clay ones were £5 a box and the game were nearer to £6 , both came in a polyphene bag instead of a box , most probably to keep the price down , as for quality , both of them killed pigeons when you were putting the gun in the right place and they would carry on if you didn't , same with most cartridges I guess ,  the Trust ones I got from Paddy Woods who have got a shop just down the road from where you sell your pigeons at Watton , they used to open on a Sunday morning ( might still do ) so you could sell the pigeons then go a few miles down the road and spend the money on cartridges.

I dare say with today's social media like face book and people leaving feedback on different sites and forum's that if the cartridge wasn't any good , everyone would soon know and it would soon disappear off the shelves . 

The jocker clay loads of 28g in 7.5 are a uk 7 and very good on pigeons at normal decoying range. For the price they are outstanding. I used up some a while ago with jdog and had a couple at 50 yards  that were well shot and fell instantly. I can't fault them really other than they are plastic wads and the majority of my farms are fibre. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎19‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 18:42, marsh man said:

If you haven't already tried them give Hull Super Fast clay load a try , they also do a pigeon load which I haven't used any yet but I would have thought they would be a good shell.

I have used at some time all of the above makes and several more which are a bit more expensive  , I bought two boxes of the Joker game and clay loads from a little gun shop in Beccles , the clay ones were £5 a box and the game were nearer to £6 , both came in a polyphene bag instead of a box , most probably to keep the price down , as for quality , both of them killed pigeons when you were putting the gun in the right place and they would carry on if you didn't , same with most cartridges I guess ,  the Trust ones I got from Paddy Woods who have got a shop just down the road from where you sell your pigeons at Watton , they used to open on a Sunday morning ( might still do ) so you could sell the pigeons then go a few miles down the road and spend the money on cartridges.

I dare say with today's social media like face book and people leaving feedback on different sites and forum's that if the cartridge wasn't any good , everyone would soon know and it would soon disappear off the shelves . 

I get the 30gm 6 jocker from woods. They are £5 a box there. The 28gm 7.5 are about £4.70.

On 19 October 2018 at 18:42, marsh man said:

MM, that gunshop in Beccles wouldn't happen to be R.Tilney by any chance, would it ? Only We were in Suffolk and Norfolk last week and went into Beccles to try and see if the shop was open, but no luck. It just looked an interesting place to browse and possibly find some hidden gem of antiquity.

OB

2 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

MM, that gunshop in Beccles wouldn't happen to be R.Tilney by any chance, would it ? Only We were in Suffolk and Norfolk last week and went into Beccles to try and see if the shop was open, but no luck. It just looked an interesting place to browse and possibly find some hidden gem of antiquity.

OB

Morning O B ( Chris ) ...... No , the shop I was referring to was MF Sporting Ltd , about 200 yds from Tilneys on the A 145 , a bit more upmarket than Tilneys with a good selection of sporting goods and cartridges .

Robert T have just recently spent some money and had the shop front painted up , before it was done you never knew weather the shop was still trading as it looked a bit derelict and normally shut as Robert spend a lot of time with the film crews on the Antique Road Show , I believe he also do forensic firearm work for the police .

Looking through the window it seems as if he has a good selection of shotguns and by all accounts he is quite reasonable with his pricing , my brother wanted a cheap(ish) s x s last year and Robert sold him a AYA s x s , the next model up from the yeoman , it was in very good condition and he chucked a used gun sleeve in for the grand sum of £90 , sound like a bargain to me .

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Morning O B ( Chris ) ...... No , the shop I was referring to was MF Sporting Ltd , about 200 yds from Tilneys on the A 145 , a bit more upmarket than Tilneys with a good selection of sporting goods and cartridges .

Robert T have just recently spent some money and had the shop front painted up , before it was done you never knew weather the shop was still trading as it looked a bit derelict and normally shut as Robert spend a lot of time with the film crews on the Antique Road Show , I believe he also do forensic firearm work for the police .

Looking through the window it seems as if he has a good selection of shotguns and by all accounts he is quite reasonable with his pricing , my brother wanted a cheap(ish) s x s last year and Robert sold him a AYA s x s , the next model up from the yeoman , it was in very good condition and he chucked a used gun sleeve in for the grand sum of £90 , sound like a bargain to me .

Thanks for that John. It just seems that Tilneys would be the place to have a good old browse around. Looking through the window, there appears to be some classic old leg-o-mutton guncases and the like. Finding it open is another story. Visited Beccles last year and the shop was closed then also. As you say, Robert seems always to be busy elsewhere. 

ATB

OB

• 1 month later...

Experimentation, discussion and a bit of kit banter are part of the fun for many of us. If I was a professional pigeon shooter I would probably use an auto and something like 32 grams of 6 shot. But I'm not, so I prefer using side by sides and light loads. In the past 40 years I've tried plenty of options from trap guns with 36 gram loads to 21 grams in 28 bores and missed plenty of birds with all of them! Looking back over days in the hide or flighting, ballistics have not been particularly significant to numbers in the bag and had no bearing at all on the memorability. 

5 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Why is everybody so anal about carts and chokes? Do what I do, stick 1/2 and a 1/4 choke in gun, go to gun shot and buy the cheapest 28g carts he has, shot size is irrelevant, and go out and shoot the beggars.

I wouldn't say shot size is irrelevant, and choke does matter. I don't think you would go far wrong with the selection you mentioned, but some folk prefer a bit more choke for those birds that skirt the decoys.

13 minutes ago, motty said:

I wouldn't say shot size is irrelevant, and choke does matter. I don't think you would go far wrong with the selection you mentioned, but some folk prefer a bit more choke for those birds that skirt the decoys.

I have to confess that I'd have a greater belief in BTG's post if the chokes mentioned were of the fixed variety. For me, as you rightly say, both shot size and choke do matter. Pigeon numbers here are nothing to write home about and getting lower it seems. Consequently, I have to fight for every one that I bag and if I didn't have the equipment that allowed me to stretch a bit when necessary, said bag would be very light indeed.