Woodwork/tool question

walshie

I suspect Ditchman is the guy to answer this, but any input much appreciated. 

I've had a good root through the barns and sheds and instead of throwing away broken tools, I'm going to fix them. There's sledge hammers, lump hammers, ball pein hammers, pickaxes, garden forks and spades, shears and a thing I think might be a sling blade. 

God knows what sort of ham-fisted oaf lived here and broke everything he had, but fixing them up of an evening will be more fun than watching Hollyoaks (so I would imagine.)

I've been studying youtube and I know the pickaxes and hammers need wooden wedges to hold them onto the new handles. Silly question, but where do you get them and what wood are they made of? Better still, if you have the right wood, can you make them yourself? 

Edited by walshie

11 hours ago, moondoggy said:

Watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-dEJdyXj34

Ben Orford is an excellent tool maker and really knows his stuff

He does make a nice handle ! Walshie has got more chance of swimming the Atlantic with a cooker on his back that crafting a handle like that ! . 😂..pm me Walshie I’ll send you a couple of oak wedges ..

did a knife & fork a few days ago..........first time in 30 years.........the handles were from a local ironmongers at £ 7.00 each.......B&Q have a good range to....take the stuff that needs re-hafting with you....also buy a rough and a smooth rasp...............

SPANDIT puts glue on the wood before driving it in....i do this too on hammers and axes ...not spade and fork tho'......with them i tap the handle in fairly hard ....then i heat the metal up with a cheap gas blow lamp...this opens the metal up quite a bit...then give it another sharp tap ...and the handle will go in another 1/2"....when it cools it is realy tight ...then i put the rivets in and burr them over..........

finally i rough sand them and coat them in several coats of stained boiled linseed oil....................

et voila.............

knife and fork 001tn_.JPG

knife and fork 002tn_.JPG

knife and fork 003tn_.JPG

knife and fork 004tn_.JPG

Edited by ditchman

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Use seasoned wood for your wedges. If you use unseasoned, it will shrink as it dries and the wedge will pop out...

dry/heat the wedges up so they have zero moisture.....then when you tap them in they will take on a bit of natural moisture and swell tight..........thats how they make ash chairs in the wood,,,...they put the spindles and legs next to the fire and dry the ends out completly...then tap them in........then they swell up to fit..:good:

so what sandspider says is dead right........