UK Rubbish for kit

pavman

I still despair at the rubbish that is being passed off as Wildfowling kit and in particular netting/blind  to be used as hide on marshes and reeds. I have been making my own for years but now I cant even get the dried grass to add some realistic patterns.

Top of my current "I hate" list is the stamped out stuff that has a pattern one side yet the underside is  plain or worse white.......

In the USA they get lots of choice and all we get is Cr^p 

Know what you mean having spent a lot of time browsing in Bass Pro and Cabela's.  BUT sometimes camo material / hides can be too perfect. In fact the rougher the better. I remember many moons ago on an exercise I had crawled what seemed miles into a good shooting spot and to help my cover had adorned the bush infron with a small piece of printed camo material. It had not long been their before one of the observers came up on the radio and asked if the interior designers had visited.    Scruffy does it.

Edited by Walker570

I bought a pair of waders recently from a UK manufacturer, advertised as having boot A fitted, which i liked the sound of, paid my money. After a while they finally turned up, fitted with a cheaper and inferior boot B. Seems the company stopped using boot A and left it on the website, and are now not responding to my emails.

So not only do we have a rubbish choice of gear in this country, when trying to support a UK business they shaft you!

16 hours ago, Big Mat said:

I bought a pair of waders recently from a UK manufacturer, advertised as having boot A fitted, which i liked the sound of, paid my money. After a while they finally turned up, fitted with a cheaper and inferior boot B. Seems the company stopped using boot A and left it on the website, and are now not responding to my emails.

So not only do we have a rubbish choice of gear in this country, when trying to support a UK business they shaft you!

Write to them, advise if they don't address your complaint within 14 days, you will seek advice fromTrading Standards.

16 hours ago, Big Mat said:

Name and shame.

17 hours ago, Big Mat said:

was that a firm in liverpool ?  i had the same thing but found the replacement boot to be quite good

23 hours ago, pavman said:

I still despair at the rubbish that is being passed off as Wildfowling kit and in particular netting/blind  to be used as hide on marshes and reeds. I have been making my own for years but now I cant even get the dried grass to add some realistic patterns.

Top of my current "I hate" list is the stamped out stuff that has a pattern one side yet the underside is  plain or worse white.......

In the USA they get lots of choice and all we get is Cr^p 

I was just in cabelas and basspro and they didn’t have a huge selection, they had mountains of cotton printed fabric! It looked like it would blend in better than plastic 

7 hours ago, islandgun said:

was that a firm in liverpool ?  i had the same thing but found the replacement boot to be quite good

Yes that'd be the one, I had problems with the cheaper boot they do before, so went for the more expensive one and got something completely different! I like the fit of the waders, and they stock larger sizes but the service is terrible

In all books i read about wildfowling and by speakng with many of them i realised in all the stories there is one common denominator: Wildfowlers proud themselves of pursuing the most difficult of the shooting disciplines; and rightly so.

If you had all the most innovative, warm, light and hi-tech gears then ... it wouldn't be the toughest of all shooting disciplines anymore rather a normal discipline no longer worth of the stories of the past 😂😂

5 hours ago, Continental Shooter said:

In all books i read about wildfowling and by speakng with many of them i realised in all the stories there is one common denominator: Wildfowlers proud themselves of pursuing the most difficult of the shooting disciplines; and rightly so.

If you had all the most innovative, warm, light and hi-tech gears then ... it wouldn't be the toughest of all shooting disciplines anymore rather a normal discipline no longer worth of the stories of the past 😂😂

What a load of tosh,  wildfowling will still be difficult, we just won't be frozen or soaked!

Wet or dry, warm or cold,  when you're up to your nuts in mud, and that bird whips round behind you, the shots still just as difficult!

Edited by Big Mat

I agree with the initial comment, I had to get a choke from duck house in Denmark for my 935. Decathlon sell some good kit however. 

Off to scotland and Saturday with my son so hopefully the weather will highly suitable. Given I go once a year I always seem to coincide my trips north with butterfly weather.

On ‎13‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 14:56, johnnytheboy said:

I was just in cabelas and basspro and they didn’t have a huge selection, they had mountains of cotton printed fabric! It looked like it would blend in better than plastic 

Yep - Was in Cabelas last month and everything seemed to be shiny, nylon Under Armor type stuff