Myxi in hares

mel b3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read the report and it said that it may transfer to hares along with RHD no mention it had been discovered in hares. That would wipe hares out quick time.  Both are the result of human intervention.  Hope the scientists are satisfied with what they have done.

Myxi is transferred through flea bites I understand and rabbits living in close company.  Hares do not do that so it may not transfer so easily.  I don't know how RHD is transferred.

47 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I read the report and it said that it may transfer to hares along with RHD no mention it had been discovered in hares. That would wipe hares out quick time.  Both are the result of human intervention.  Hope the scientists are satisfied with what they have done.

Myxi is transferred through flea bites I understand and rabbits living in close company.  Hares do not do that so it may not transfer so easily.  I don't know how RHD is transferred.

I may have misunderstood what they said nev , but im sure that myxi hares had been found , and any suspect cases should be reported , they did show a short clip of either a rabbit or Hare with swelling eyes . I must learn to pay more attention 😆

hope not evil thing mixy. been watching rabbits with it since i was kid. only pockets of rabbits here now after years of being hit by it. 10 15 years ago there were good numbers but now very rarely do i get a call out to deal with them. at night we are seeing a lot of hares. which is great to see and i personally dont shoot them. the only downside of the hare population here is the great guys with running dogs that have no respect for anything:mad: have a few places where i can get numbers but overall down. try to leave them for the ferrets now

I'm sure there is another thread somewhere on here with a link to radio 4 and it was VHD not mixi, and still just in early stages so no real evidence/proof yet

As others have said mixi might not be jut as sevre on hares due to their lifestyle and also mixi been about a long time now, chances are if it was going to jump mammals it would of done it decades ago when numbers of both hares and rabbits were far higher.

My understanding from the radio today is that it is not yet confirmed what it is, but mixi is thought most likely (despite DEFRA apparently saying it is coccidiosis).  An expert from Cambridge who has examined some bodies said that the symptoms were not like coccidiosis and more like mixi, but they had not been able to confirm mixi.  They are working hard to positively identify the cause.

As others have said, the spread of mixi seems to be related to fleas - and was much more serious in burrow living rabbits.  Hares are less social, so with luck it won't strike them nearly as hard.

Rabbits here seem to get mixi in outbreaks whenever the population gets large, and it knocks out maybe 80%, then over a few years populations build back up - then it strikes again.

9 hours ago, scotslad said:

I'm sure there is another thread somewhere on here with a link to radio 4 and it was VHD not mixi, and still just in early stages so no real evidence/proof yet

As others have said mixi might not be jut as sevre on hares due to their lifestyle and also mixi been about a long time now, chances are if it was going to jump mammals it would of done it decades ago when numbers of both hares and rabbits were far higher.

It has just been confirmed on our local news that the first Hare found with mixi was at Bungay in Suffolk and it have now spread as far as Scotland , and according to tonight's news it certainly is Mixi , very sad news indeed 

I posted years ago on here about RHD, This virus has been used to control rabbits in some countries,  some of the early trials were too good, the reason being was, it did not travel or spread as they intended it killed colonies of rabbits without spreading. In short it killed too quick.

To prevent spreading it's either clear population or vaccination. 

Really nasty disease that should never have been introduced! I know rabbits were and in places still are a massive pest but to introduce a virus that is uncontrollable was just wholly irresponsible. They would have been better off introducing a plague of ferrets to kill the rabbits off at least they would have been able to put some controls in place to limit the destruction caused and the deaths would have been fast and natural. 

1 minute ago, Benthejockey said:

Really nasty disease that should never have been introduced!

Entirely agree.

1 minute ago, Benthejockey said:

They would have been better off introducing a plague of ferrets to kill the rabbits off

Once finished with the rabbits, ground nesting birds, hedgehogs would have been next.

There was a rabbit clearance programme (in the 1950s??) when cartridges were issued/subsidised to farmers to shoot rabbits.  Not sure exactly how it worked, but I remember my father talking about it.

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

It has just been confirmed on our local news that the first Hare found with mixi was at Bungay in Suffolk and it have now spread as far as Scotland , and according to tonight's news it certainly is Mixi , very sad news indeed 

It has huge implications, if it spreads to other mammals humans are on the list, wonder how long before they find a cure after the first human succumbs 

8 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

There was a rabbit clearance programme (in the 1950s??) when cartridges were issued/subsidised to farmers to shoot rabbits.  Not sure exactly how it worked, but I remember my father talking about it.

And poaching rabbits was still an offence then too. Punishment was imprisonment and possibly deportation. Kind of silly when you look at it, we have a problem and a means of sorting it without cost. Seems to be similar to what we have now with Broc. 

Edited by Dougy

22 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Entirely agree.

Once finished with the rabbits, ground nesting birds, hedgehogs would have been next.

I was being a bit facetious really with the ferrets comment but you get my point. 

Just now, Benthejockey said:

I was being a bit facetious really with the ferrets comment but you get my point. 

Indeed I do - but I also wanted to highlight the risks of all interventions with disease, predators etc.

I looked up the clearance programme I mentioned.  It ran from 1958 to 1971 as local 'rabbit clearance societies'.  They got a 50% subsidy 'on costs' whatever that means.

13 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Indeed I do - but I also wanted to highlight the risks of all interventions with disease, predators etc.

I looked up the clearance programme I mentioned.  It ran from 1958 to 1971 as local 'rabbit clearance societies'.  They got a 50% subsidy 'on costs' whatever that means.

In my area loads of local areas quite often church parish's would group together to hire a FT rabbit catcher, often in those days mainly snaring and ferreting.

I think VHD was started in OZ which did have some very serious rabbit problems, i once seen a vidoe clip of them driving them into a large penned area and just clubbing them there was sooo many.

My uncle talked of trying to find recent dead 1's and they'd liquidise there livers and take it too new areas to help spread it, not sur eif that worked as i've since been told its fleas that carry the infection/virus.

Back onto hares.

Does anyone actually know wot they have caught?? As this thread is moving from disease to disease.

And are the scientists 100% correct (ie experienced in diagnosing mixi) (and not an anti shooting scare story)

I take it the sources can be trusted 100%?

3 hours ago, matone said:

along with a professor saying a ban on shooting is necessary........

57 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

Couldn't wait to spit that out! Could she? Bet the antis are rubbing their hands in glee.......and crying crocodile tears for poor old puss!

I suspect more are lost to the caravan club with their Dags than are shot in many areas